The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
cascade microphones Ribbon Microphones
Old 5th September 2011
cascade microphones

looking to buy some. ive head alot of people rave over the Fatheads but i was wondering about the vin-ject and 731r, anyone have these?
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by berkleystudios View Post
looking to buy some. ive head alot of people rave over the Fatheads but i was wondering about the vin-ject and 731r, anyone have these?
I own the Vinjet. It sounds bigger than the Fathead, very good for anything you want with more body. like most ribbons it takes eq very well and also like most ribbons you want a pre that's clean with plenty of gain. Like this mic a lot for lean vocals that need some balls, guitar cab and wind instruments that get piercing with condensers, like trumpet. Good stuff and cheap to boot!
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

The VinJet, being a long ribbon/short path type mic has the most high-end reach of the lot. Very nice on piano, can be used for certain vocals, overheads etc... The Fathead is a Medium Ribbon/Long Path type ribbon mic, and its rolloff happens quite a bit sooner than the VinJet's, so it will have a more mid-forward and beefy sound. I owned one, and I loved it on any type of brass instrument, drum room mic, guitar cab, bass cab and lots of other stuff. The 731R is a dual medium ribbon mic. These are the darkest-sounding Ribbon mics. I find they work great in combination with other mics. You can use it to beef up a kick drum, guitar amp, etc... It's got a killer low end, and smoothes any harshness with ease. Sound great on its own too of course, for instance on trumpet, alto sax, violin etc... Also a great drum room mic!

All their mics are made in china, but they conduct the QC in Washington, so you'll get a quality product with no ribbon sag etc.. They also offer cinemag and lundahl transformer upgrades on most of their mics, although at a bit of a steep price IMO. I bought my Fathead with Cinemag upgrade second-hand, and I'd buy one again in heartbeat, although I'd love to give the VinJet a try as well.
Old 6th September 2011
Love the fatheads on overheads and guitar cabs. They take EQ very well and have a lot of character. Highly recommend. Used them on a live session the the other night with pretty solid results.
Old 6th September 2011
Gear Addict

Recordinghacks.com has a nice ribbon shootout. Check it out.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search