The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Rode K2 Preamp? Condenser Microphones
Old 5th September 2011
Here for the gear

Rode K2 Preamp?

Okay, so I just finished recording a demo with my band, and we were less than impressed with how we did. It was terrible.
We were mis-informed, and didn't know what we were doing.
Since then I've been studying how to record, and reading in on a lot of posts in here, and I just now began to budget out my studio.

I am trying to get a sound like this out of my Rode K2 for clean singing,

above92's Channel - YouTube

It's at 0:20 the guy on the left, it's SPARKLING cleans.

I know this artist does NOT use autotune, it has something to do with a hardware interface he's using, a K2 with some sort of preamp that makes it sound open, clear, and smooth.

Oh, and I'm also aware he's a good singer, so that affects it as well. So please don't give the new kid a hard time >.<

Does anyone have any preamp ideas under 900 dollars that would make similar vocals sound similar? :O

Appreciate it!
Old 5th September 2011
What interface or A/D are you using? You may not need anything better than what you already have - those Rodes don't need a lot of extra gain, and the tube coloration is already there. Most good interfaces already have reasonably transparent preamps with sufficient gain, so even if you replaced these with something high end, you may not experience the big difference you are hoping for ...

What don't you like about the sound you are getting now? Did you go crazy with plugins or something?

Start with your room sound proofing and acoustic treatment ... most problems start there ...
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

I hate to burst your bubble...but that guys is soooo using auto tune.

Back to the post.

Although the auto tune is not the part of the sound you are referring to, the K2 could easily deliver that vocal as it is a very modern, high sheen sound. A good clean pre like an Avalon would probably be fine. I am not an Avalon fan, but I could easily hear that doing something similar. The vocal sounds like it was recorded in a baffled space. That is, some treatment that blocks poor room reflections. What I am mostly hearing is stacks of post production processing. Healthy comp/limiting, broad ranging and very heavy EQ, and an unobtrusive reverb/echo.
Probably the other thing being overlooked is that it was probably recorded by an engineer with more than 2 seconds experience.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search