The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Help upgrading my interface Audio Interfaces
Old 5th September 2011
Gear Head

Help upgrading my interface

Hey guys.I have years using the Motu 828 MKII and I am happy with the drivers and the easy use but I started buying some high end pres and different mics in order to make better quality recordings.

Which interfaces would you recommend over the 828 or should I just buy an AD DA convertor?

Here is a list of my gear:

Motu 828 MKII
Avalon VT737sp
Focusrite ISA 428
M-Audio Octane
Presonus ACP88

Mics:

Audio Technica AT4047 and 4050
Shure SM7b, SM57
Blue baby bottle
Rode NTK
MXL 603
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidguevara80 View Post
Hey guys.I have years using the Motu 828 MKII and I am happy with the drivers and the easy use but I started buying some high end pres and different mics in order to make better quality recordings.

Which interfaces would you recommend over the 828 or should I just buy an AD DA convertor?

Here is a list of my gear:

Motu 828 MKII
Avalon VT737sp
Focusrite ISA 428
M-Audio Octane
Presonus ACP88

Mics:

Audio Technica AT4047 and 4050
Shure SM7b, SM57
Blue baby bottle
Rode NTK
MXL 603
I've never used MOTU interfaces before, but have read quite a bit about them over the years, and the verdict seems that they are just 'ok'. Solid drivers, especially for Mac, but a bit hazy in the preamp department, yet I'm sure great recordings have been done with them. I realize there is an MkIII line now, so they may have stepped up their game somewhat, dunno. As for their built-in converters, again, this new line may be an improvement over the MkII, might want to investigate on that, specifically.

What I have used, either for myself, or in friends' studios.

- Apogee Ensemble; fantastic interface, would buy again in a heartbeat.
- MBOX 3 Pro; just heard over the weekend, I was very impressed with it.

That's about all I can offer for educated advice, in terms of common home-based FW interfaces.
Granted, I spent years on the Ensemble vs. one intense session with the newest Mbox a few days ago, so I can only give a first impression on the latter.

If you plan on using mostly your external preamps, then the idea of investing in a standalone AD/DA converter is to be reckoned, but I would go ahead and do a bunch of recording with what you already have and try to assess exactly what is, according to your own ears, the missing link.
Room acoustics and monitors are also a huge variable in the chain, but of course you know that.

Good luck.
Old 6th September 2011
Focusrite wins for me time and again
Old 6th September 2011
Gear Head

Thanks,I am using the 8' yamahas with the white cone,don't remember the model and my room is very good sounding with acoustic panels,the drum room is basically untouched to get a "roomy sound".
You are right about the press on the Motu,I never use then for anything serious.

I am looking for the RME 800 but it is a little high in price for me now.
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear
What's your spending limit? Do you need to record 16 channels simultaneously? There are interfaces that some people consider to be a step up from the 828 Mk 2, but in my limited experience, you're probably looking at an incremental upgrade. If you're going to upgrade from the Mk 2, think about where you want to be when the upgrade is complete.

Can you get by without any of your existing gear? If you can sell some stuff that you don't use and/or are not really happy with, there's more upgrade bucks. Take a close look at 500 series gear. You might be able to go further along the preamp upgrade path and possibly get 2-bus compression that will make a big difference.

As an example, and this assumes I understand your questions, I'd consider selling the Mk2, the Octane and the ACP88. I'm guessing that could net you about $750 possibly. Your remaining outboard is of better pedigree. Depending on your budget, you might be able to make a significant step up with an A/D purchase, but if you need lots of channels, it's gonna be pricey. Good luck.
Old 8th September 2011
Gear Head

Thanks for The reply,yes I need 16 channels at least.My budget could be $600

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search