The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Labor day dynamic mic wtf crazy post Dynamic Microphones
Old 5th September 2011
Gear Head

Labor day dynamic mic wtf crazy post

pretty much what the title says. I'm going though a labor day what the f**K

SM7B or Heil PR40? For vocals only! Rap vocals

For the last month, I've been mic searching for a new vocal mic to upgrade from my current MXL Genesis(which does not SOUND bad by the way, just doesn't fit my voice). Over this past month, I have come across may seemingly great mics, but these two look to be the ones that will give the best results(I THINK)

They both have that phat sound, but the Heil sounds a bit more detailed, while the sm7b is SMOOTHER. I have slight acoustic treatment, but I am really digging a dynamic for that background noise rejection to get a cleaner, isolated sound. But the Heil is like the best of both worlds because it also has that condenser like clarity at the same time. Sm7b has so many great reviews and more available clips tho, not too much to compare with of the pr40.

So, people! Thoughts? Any experience. Clips would be even better. To get an idea of what could sound better for my voice, I've been told that I sound like a "baby" Jay-Z crossed with Eminem. :/
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

If you are serious about finding a mic that flatters your voice, you need to figure out why the mxl does not fit. Look at the response curves for that mic, and compare them to the heil and the shure. Does anything jump out?

Look at your vocal range --- baritone? Tenor? Where is the primary resonant frequency of your voice? Also, does your voice have a particular quality or timbre that may be accentuated by one mic model, or detracted from by another? Do you have nasal overtones, or a thin, reedy voice?

Take a clip of you singing, and run it into voxengo's SPAN or something similar, so you can see the detailed response curve. This should show the dominant frequencies, and tell you if there's some 'signature' to your vocal sound that may be more flattering on one mic or another, or cue you to avoid certain mics based on their response patterns.

In the end, it will come down to what mic you hear as the most flattering for your voice. A second trusted opinion always helps, too.
Old 5th September 2011
The heil pr40 is a great versatile mic but sounds kinda honky on voice like a old ribbon mic which could work in vintage jazz. I like the pr40 on everything but voice. Although I do not own the sm7b I know the sound quite well and it is a great vocal mic. Get the sm7b.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search