The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
New Gear for New EP Condenser Microphones
Old 5th September 2011
Here for the gear

New Gear for New EP

Hi guys! I have been reading this forum for a while now and have a question about gear etc... Basically for a while now i have had a mobile pre soundcard for my mac which i have recorded very basic band demos on either live or layering tracks up and achieved basic results. Now i am trying ot upgrade my gear for a new EP but still keeping it very basic. My band consists of pedal steel guitar, an old Wurlitzer, Gypsy jazz guitar and bass and vocals and of course a full drum kit. I know i can record all the instruments fine with one track but need some extra gear for the drums..(need more tracks)

The best mic i have is a neumann u87ai i also have a fair few 58's, AKG c1000 and we will be borrowing some other mics for drums. I have a DAV BG-1 pre amp. So i guess now i am after some good-ish monitors, mixer and a new audio interface. I basically would like to record 6 tracks at the same time for the drums i.e. 2 overheads, Bass drum, Snare and a few others dotted around perhaps further away from the kit....If anyone has any suggestions for a mac audio interface that can do 6 tracks at the same time that would be great! I think i have been waffling a lot!
Old 5th September 2011
Gear Nut

You have a Neumann and no 57s? Buy a 57 and a Unidyne III 545. Very useful couple of mics.
Old 5th September 2011
Here for the gear

I have access to 57's its not mics that are my issue at this point as i can borrow from various sources... I was thinking of using the neumann to record vocals , acoustic guitar and my pedal steel guitar? So would just use other mics for the drums. Or are you suggesting using a 57 for one of these instruments? I am aware people use 57's on electric guitar amps etc. I am looking into the sound interfaces what is the m audio 2626 like? Any other alternatives? Thanks
Old 5th September 2011
Gear Addict

Allen Heath Zed R16, it's a mixer, interface, good pre's.
Yamaha HS80m monitors, or Adam A7's.
Old 5th September 2011
Here for the gear

Whoah the Allen Heath Zed R16 is huge!! Have you tried the smaller models? Dont think i will use 16 tracks! :D looking for more like 6
Old 5th September 2011
Gear Addict

The R16 is a firewire interface also though.
The smaller ones are not.
Only the R16 and the GS-R24 are the high end models, the rest are all fairly low end.
It's still probably a cheaper option than getting a decent interface and a seperate mixer as the converters in the R16 are REALLY good and the preamps are REALLY good!
So it's a good package, plenty of info on it in this forum too.
I have the GSR24 and love it.
Old 5th September 2011
Here for the gear

Does anyone know if you can use the 2 inputs off the DAV bg 1 into one input of the apogee duet?
Old 5th September 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Williaaaam View Post
I have access to 57's its not mics that are my issue at this point as i can borrow from various sources... I was thinking of using the neumann to record vocals , acoustic guitar and my pedal steel guitar? So would just use other mics for the drums. Or are you suggesting using a 57 for one of these instruments? I am aware people use 57's on electric guitar amps etc. I am looking into the sound interfaces what is the m audio 2626 like? Any other alternatives? Thanks
Ah right, I assumed that bundled in your need for more tracks would be a need for some mics for drums. What is your budget for interface?
Old 5th September 2011
Here for the gear

probably about £500... I was hearing good things about the apogee duet and was wondering if i could say setup bass drum/ snare through the DAV BG 1 into one input of the duet then have the neumann as an overhead on the 2nd channel of the duet? Or even 2 overheads into BG 1 into one input of duet then use the 2nd channel for kick drum?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search