The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Help to achieve 3DD Sound. Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 5th September 2011
Gear Addict

Help to achieve 3DD Sound.

Looking at ways to achieve the sound found on the 3 Doors Down Self Titled Album.

Here is a link to one song in particular
3 Doors Down - It's Not My Time - YouTube

If anyone has any insight at all into the recording of this stuff let me know. My main interest is the Guitars. Also the bass sits so well in the mix IMO. Something I haven't really perfected. Bass with a lot of bottom but plays nice with the kick and such.

Thanks guys
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumzalicious View Post
Looking at ways to achieve the sound found on the 3 Doors Down Self Titled Album.

Here is a link to one song in particular
3 Doors Down - It's Not My Time - YouTube

If anyone has any insight at all into the recording of this stuff let me know. My main interest is the Guitars. Also the bass sits so well in the mix IMO. Something I haven't really perfected. Bass with a lot of bottom but plays nice with the kick and such.

Thanks guys
Are you talking about the tracking or mixing? If it's tracking you need to do some research to find out what was used in the recording ( amps/guitars ect.). If you are talking about mixing it would be almost impossible to say what you should do to your tracks without listening to them. The bass player's dynamics will have a lot to do with how it is treated to give the consistency you desire. It's ability to play nice with the kick will also depend on that particular instrument's sound characteristics, which will in turn tell you were to cut or boost to compensate for any short comings.
Old 5th September 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dasoundjunkie View Post
Are you talking about the tracking or mixing? If it's tracking you need to do some research to find out what was used in the recording ( amps/guitars ect.). If you are talking about mixing it would be almost impossible to say what you should do to your tracks without listening to them. The bass player's dynamics will have a lot to do with how it is treated to give the consistency you desire. It's ability to play nice with the kick will also depend on that particular instrument's sound characteristics, which will in turn tell you were to cut or boost to compensate for any short comings.
Talking about both really because they go hand in hand to achieve that big sound in the guitars. The mixing is what would help me with the bass.

I've googled Johnny K and Andy Wallace. I have found some interviews but nothing about this album in particular. I've also found some stuff Andy talks about for general mixing on drums but nothing on Guitar or Bass.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Gearslutz.com App
Old 6th September 2011
Gear Addict

Bump

Sent from my ADR6300 using Gearslutz.com App
Old 6th November 2011
Gear Addict

reviving.
Old 5th January 2012
Gear Addict

any one?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search