The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Is this good for $30?
Old 5th September 2011
  #1
Gear Maniac
 

Is this good for $30?

I charged $30 for this recording. Is it a good deal?
Old 5th September 2011
  #2
Gear Addict
 
YULOGY's Avatar
 

Are you actually serious?
If you spent an hour on it TOTAL maybe....
Otherwise you were ripped.
Old 5th September 2011
  #3
Gear Maniac
 

for the band.yes. yes it is.
for you, no. no it is not.
Old 5th September 2011
  #4
Gear Head
 
ciociosan's Avatar
 

$30 really isn't that much. Considering that, I'd say it worked out pretty well for the band. Of course, I wouldn't go use this track to showcase your own work. In answer to your question though, yes, it's good enough for $30.
Old 5th September 2011
  #5
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YULOGY View Post
Are you actually serious?
If you spent an hour on it TOTAL maybe....
Otherwise you were ripped.
It was that bad? xD

Yeah right now it's a flat rate for the song. I was just wondering if I should be charging more or less for the quality.
Old 5th September 2011
  #6
Lives for gear
 
waveterm's Avatar
 

I don´t understand.



WT
Old 6th September 2011
  #7
Gear Nut
I'd say thats worth at least a $75, and I almost always price things too low.
Old 6th September 2011
  #8
Lives for gear
 
cavern's Avatar
 

I don't quite understand either.

Is this like,i always charge $30.
Or i did this for $30 for a reason this time.
Or this is my first recording and i charged $30..What do you think?

Those guys are pretty good players.
Old 6th September 2011
  #9
Gear Addict
 
buddachile's Avatar
 

Sounds like you gave the band a pretty good deal. That sounds better than $30 to me.
Old 6th September 2011
  #10
Gear Maniac
 

I always charge $30 per song. This was just a quick song we did as sort of a demo, but they liked it. The rhythm guitar player had a nice Vox amp, but for some reason in this song he scooped all the mids. D: We're working on more stuff and the guitars don't sound murdered anymore.
Old 6th September 2011
  #11
ecc
Here for the gear
 

$30 is beyond a great deal. You need to charge way more.
Old 6th September 2011
  #12
Gear Maniac
 
sotorious's Avatar
 

WTF dude you better charge way more.
Old 6th September 2011
  #13
Gear Maniac
 
The Pressman's Avatar
Yeah, I think you should probably charge more...

I charge closer to 80 dollars a song, and churn out mixes way worse than that, hohoho...

But seriously, I think it's hard to tell exactly... From listening to the song, I think you should charge more, it's a pretty decent mix...

BUT, having said that, we don't know anything about the studio environment, how easy vs. stressful the work-flow was, how much experience you have, how easy it was to complete the project, etc, etc. I believe these are all important factors in deciding if it was a good deal or not.
Old 6th September 2011
  #14
Lives for gear
 
mattjew24's Avatar
 

Charge based on time spent. It sounds good...are the drums a bunch of samples?
Old 6th September 2011
  #15
Gear Maniac
 

Yep, Steven Slate Drums to be exact. Worth every penny!

Right now I don't have a full on studio, which is why I charge so low. Once I get a better environment/build a good studio/gain some more experience I think I can justify myself charging closer to the 80-100 range.
Old 6th September 2011
  #16
Gear Nut
 
jimcasy786's Avatar
 

$30??! That's a steal. That's a great sounding recording. The band has to be a fan of 'Against Me' or, perhaps, they 'dislike' them now for 'sellin' out. The vocalist sounds a little like Tom Gabel in some parts. Regardless, you did a great job. Are those drum samples and how much of this was done live?
Old 6th September 2011
  #17
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcasy786 View Post
$30??! That's a steal. That's a great sounding recording. The band has to be a fan of 'Against Me' or, perhaps, they 'dislike' them now for 'sellin' out. The vocalist sounds a little like Tom Gabel in some parts. Regardless, you did a great job. Are those drum samples and how much of this was done live?
We had the drummer record his actual drums then used the Slate samples tuned to sound like his. Everything else was recorded with an SM57 and AKG Perception 400 into a *brace yourself* Behringer Xenyx/Lexicon Alpha. Workin' with what I got for now. xD
Old 6th September 2011
  #18
Gear Nut
 
jimcasy786's Avatar
 

Well, just another great example (amongst thousands) of how a pretty kickass song and some know-how mean a sh*t-ton more than the 'geeear.'
Old 6th September 2011
  #19
Lives for gear
 
davidwilson's Avatar
 

This is a joke right ?
$30 ....... That's like one hour in a local "budjet" studio.

I charge around $500 per song and spend around 2 days in total. I think everyone is happier allround.
Old 6th September 2011
  #20
30...!!

An excellent song with great engineering..... worth a lot more...
Old 6th September 2011
  #21
Lives for gear
 
bexarametric's Avatar
 

I charge $150 per song to track and $100 to mix (even though mixing takes me longer than tracking, the client isn't around when I do this, so I charge less). Most clients want both, so my rate is $250 a song. If you feel like you do good work, you should charge way more than you are. I know people in Dallas that charge $500-800 a song and they are not good engineers. They don't even listen to their clients vision.

Collect 50% up front and 50% right before you hand over the mix. Don't negotiate. Stick to your guns and don't devalue yourself.

If a client starts a tracking a song and "isn't feeling it", tough ****. You at least got paid 50% to start tracking a song. It's not your fault that they weren't prepared to go into the studio. You should be compensated for your time. If they decide to start another song, make sure you charge them for that too. Hardball your clients. Train them to pay your rates. Pitch it with confidence. It gives you more credibility in their eyes, which leads to better takes anyway.


Just my two cents
Old 6th September 2011
  #22
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bexarametric View Post
I charge $150 per song to track and $100 to mix. Most clients want both, so my rate is $250 a song. If you feel like you do good work, you should charge way more than you are.

Collect 50% up front and 50% right before you hand over the mix. Don't negotiate. Stick to your guns and don't devalue yourself.

If a client starts a tracking a song and "isn't feeling it", tough ****. You at least got paid 50% to start tracking a song. It's not your fault that they weren't prepared to go into the studio. You should be compensated for your time. If they decide to start another song, make sure you charge them for that too. Hardball your clients. Train them to pay your rates. Pitch it with confidence. It gives you more credibility in their eyes, which leads to better takes anyway.


Just my two cents
I completely agree. Right now I'm doing this out of my home studio, so I'm basically charging for just the production quality. I don't advertise either and don't really call it a studio officially. Haha It actually started with me doing some trial and error recordings for free for a friend's band and people just heard them and liked it. My goal is to have an actual dedicated studio soon.
Old 6th September 2011
  #23
Lives for gear
 
bexarametric's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottn View Post
I completely agree. Right now I'm doing this out of my home studio, so I'm basically charging for just the production quality. I don't advertise either and don't really call it a studio officially. Haha It actually started with me doing some trial and error recordings for free for a friend's band and people just heard them and liked it. My goal is to have an actual dedicated studio soon.
I find other studios to track at. If I know the client well enough, I have a room that I rent where I keep all of my personal tracking equipment. Since I dont allow my clients to be at the mix session, I do that at home. I play it safe and don't invite strangers into my life.

I may come across as a control freak, but musicians are f-ing flaky and shady. I slap them across the face repeatedly during preproduction and lay down the rules. It may seem like I'm a bulldog, but I always get paid exactly what I asked for. It keeps the client disciplined. You have to build yourself up a little bit (without coming across as conceited) in order to win them over and make them respect you.

I have no problem telling a client that their mix will sit on my hard drive until they pay me. I don't care how "cool" the project was. One of the things that makes you "ready" to go into the studio is having your finances together.

Never give a musician an inch. They will take a mile.

I never come across as the "nice guy" in my sessions. But I also never come across as an asshole either. I've been hired to make things sound good. I'm all business but I do pull out the sense of humor when it makes sense. But I keep my clients on task because I'm not charging them per hour. I keep them comfortable but also try to make them recognize that they can lose their inspiration if they don't get their takes down within a certain period of time.

The more valuable you make yourself to the client (by doing good work while building their respect by keeping it on task), the more they will be willing to pay for your services. This also turns into referrals. You're just simply being a professional. Professionals make more than $30 a song.

Best of luck
Old 6th September 2011
  #24
Gear Addict
If you set up the session, got sounds, recorded the song, then mixed and mastered it. All in under 30 minutes than you did good.
Old 6th September 2011
  #25
Lives for gear
 
cavern's Avatar
 

Congrats,very nice job regardless of how long it took.
You can borrow my signature if you like.heh

.................................................................
"you can teach the trade but you can't teach the knack"
Old 6th September 2011
  #26
Lives for gear
 
Big_Bang's Avatar
 

Holy crap!!

This is one fine recording and mix!

Until I read it was SSD'ed, I was like "f*ck me" (not at all demeretizing your work! ... demeretizing.. is that even a word?!?!)

Worth a heck of alot more than 30 bucks!

But this is a mastered version, I'd love to hear the unmastered. Great band btw. Not very comon to hear good old heavy rock well played and well sung.
Old 6th September 2011
  #27
Lives for gear
 
dxavier's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottn View Post
I charged $30 for this recording. Is it a good deal?
Not sure whether that is $30 U.S or $30 Australian, but lets just say, in London, for $30 U.S, you could get a slap or a few Maccy D's, but I don't know of any venues that could hold a band, mic the lot up and record it for the equivalent of $30 U.S, which is £18 UK.

To me, that is an amazing super bargain for the band and not so good for you, as you could charge considerably more. Still, it all depends on if you are doing it as a business or to learn more about recording / mixing or whether you are best mates with the band itself. All depends.
Old 6th September 2011
  #28
Gear Addict
 
Levi's Avatar
 

First of all Scott, nice work. Sounds solid, ESPECIALLY if it's a $30 song! GOODNESS!!! Now, let me be your "dad" for a moment... heh

I'm presuming you want to do this for a living, correct? And you've already mentioned that you have invested in the Slate drums, and I'm presuming a computer, DAW, microphone(s), etc. So, you have skin in the game and need to make your money back. At $30 a song, you'll go out of business before you start.

So, here's what I would do (and did) a long time ago. You are worth your time. If not, people will steal your life from you. You have to decide what your time is worth. I'm guessing you have a fair amount of time in this... even at 10 hours, you're making $3/ hr. Decide what you would dream of making an hour, then decide what you're willing to make an hour, and finally what you're absolute bottom-dollar an hour would be. I have my numbers... first, my "sticker price," then my negotiated price, then my "OK, I'll invest in this" price. Only you can decide this.

Next, take this $30 song and mix the daylights out of it and use it as a quality "calling card." You're not far away from having something really nice and can use it to get better-paying clients. You don't need to worry about not having a big studio, you just need to show them that you can deliver great results. I'm in the same boat... mostly work out of my home studio, can track everything here except drums, not a great mix environment, but I can charge "X" dollars per song, and nobody flinches due to the quality they're hearing. The ones that flinch, I try to avoid anyway... the cheapest clients always demand the most. Again, YOU are worth your time... the gear/ environment just helps that along. If you get better budgets, you can go to a nice studio to track drums and then bring it back to your space and go from there. There's always creative work-arounds that can still keep you competitive with "big" projects. It's what between your ears that counts.

For folks that you're willing to invest in, perhaps these guys at $30/ song, find a way to say "OK, $30 a song it is, but I need to secure 50% publishing on this song to make up the difference of what I'd normally make." They'll either cough up more money or they'll give you publishing or they'll bail. You can't be afraid to scare away a few folks along the way. This is a perception game... if you present yourself as only being worth $30, everyone else will feel the same and know that they can take advantage of you. It's much cooler when you can come off your prices and make them think they're getting a great deal, as opposed to having created this mindset that you're only worth $30, and why should they pay more?

You have value. Your work is good, we can all always get better, but your time is valuable, even early in the game. I charge a lot, in the thousands per song, and people pay it. I'm backed up for months. When I need to work on a project I believe in and can invest at a lower level, or even free with some backside publishing and ownership, I have that freedom. You HAVE to look out for yourself, because nobody else will!!! Reevaluate your worth, figure out hours involved, etc. and then be a smart business man!
Old 6th September 2011
  #29
Lives for gear
 
bexarametric's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi View Post
First of all Scott, nice work. Sounds solid, ESPECIALLY if it's a $30 song! GOODNESS!!! Now, let me be your "dad" for a moment... heh

I'm presuming you want to do this for a living, correct? And you've already mentioned that you have invested in the Slate drums, and I'm presuming a computer, DAW, microphone(s), etc. So, you have skin in the game and need to make your money back. At $30 a song, you'll go out of business before you start.

So, here's what I would do (and did) a long time ago. You are worth your time. If not, people will steal your life from you. You have to decide what your time is worth. I'm guessing you have a fair amount of time in this... even at 10 hours, you're making $3/ hr. Decide what you would dream of making an hour, then decide what you're willing to make an hour, and finally what you're absolute bottom-dollar an hour would be. I have my numbers... first, my "sticker price," then my negotiated price, then my "OK, I'll invest in this" price. Only you can decide this.

Next, take this $30 song and mix the daylights out of it and use it as a quality "calling card." You're not far away from having something really nice and can use it to get better-paying clients. You don't need to worry about not having a big studio, you just need to show them that you can deliver great results. I'm in the same boat... mostly work out of my home studio, can track everything here except drums, not a great mix environment, but I can charge "X" dollars per song, and nobody flinches due to the quality they're hearing. The ones that flinch, I try to avoid anyway... the cheapest clients always demand the most. Again, YOU are worth your time... the gear/ environment just helps that along. If you get better budgets, you can go to a nice studio to track drums and then bring it back to your space and go from there. There's always creative work-arounds that can still keep you competitive with "big" projects. It's what between your ears that counts.

For folks that you're willing to invest in, perhaps these guys at $30/ song, find a way to say "OK, $30 a song it is, but I need to secure 50% publishing on this song to make up the difference of what I'd normally make." They'll either cough up more money or they'll give you publishing or they'll bail. You can't be afraid to scare away a few folks along the way. This is a perception game... if you present yourself as only being worth $30, everyone else will feel the same and know that they can take advantage of you. It's much cooler when you can come off your prices and make them think they're getting a great deal, as opposed to having created this mindset that you're only worth $30, and why should they pay more?

You have value. Your work is good, we can all always get better, but your time is valuable, even early in the game. I charge a lot, in the thousands per song, and people pay it. I'm backed up for months. When I need to work on a project I believe in and can invest at a lower level, or even free with some backside publishing and ownership, I have that freedom. You HAVE to look out for yourself, because nobody else will!!! Reevaluate your worth, figure out hours involved, etc. and then be a smart business man!
I agree with this. Your perceived value IS your value. Do quality work and get a little more swagger, then charge what you need to charge.
Old 6th September 2011
  #30
Gear Maniac
 
ArnieInTheSky's Avatar
 

At $30 a song, Steely Dan could have saved a bundle on Gaucho!
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump