The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Is this good for $30? Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 6th September 2011
Gear Nut

Where's your studio, I already know a 100 bands that will work with you for that price.

But seriously, this is worth WAY more than $30. I know a studio that charges twice that an hour and doesn't put out stuff that good.
Old 6th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Thanks everyone for the kind words! I really appreciated all the great advice! As of now, I'm still learning the ropes and such but I do plan to turn this into a job and will charge much more when that does happen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Bang View Post
Holy crap!!

This is one fine recording and mix!

Until I read it was SSD'ed, I was like "f*ck me" (not at all demeretizing your work! ... demeretizing.. is that even a word?!?!)

Worth a heck of alot more than 30 bucks!

But this is a mastered version, I'd love to hear the unmastered. Great band btw. Not very comon to hear good old heavy rock well played and well sung.
Here's what the unmastered mix sounded like. Peaks at -6
Attached Files

Primary Pulse Unmastered.mp3 (4.63 MB, 62 views)

Old 20th September 2011
Lives for gear

Try to keep working with TALENTED musicians who play 4/4 music... Who understand the art of overdubs and therefore play tighter and to a click track, so you can more easily throw out the drummers CB Drums kit and use samples, all the while Auto Tuning the vocal and cranking up the mastering limiter.

That's my learned trade...wish I knew more people in this damn city. I always get the shrubs who are greenhorns with recording. It is insanely important that you have Production and Song Arrangement skills..because people all too often look to YOU to tell them if their song works or not. So you have to kindly persuade them to forget about the 7/12 time signature change at bar 46. Or to redo a performance, but doing it differently (being a musician helps).

Basically, work with quality people. To this day I have only a few examples of my work with other people that I am not totally embarrassed of... My best sounding stuff is my own....

Sorry, you mean this isn't the Gearslutz Moan Zone?
Old 20th September 2011
Lives for gear

$30/hr would make a whole lot more sense.

Nice work. Stop taking crazy pills and get paid for it next time.
Old 20th September 2011
good God, what were you thinking when you set that price? You must have a low self-esteem!! heh
OK, here's the deal: I have to mix an album for a local band, they are paying me 130$ per song, 13 tracks total. You do the mix for me, as I do not have the time right now, I pay you 30$ per song, I do zero work and am still left with 1300$.... doesn't sound fair, right?

Joking aside, I think even without the proper studio setup, with that quality in the mix, you should charge at least 80-100$ per song. I believe bands will still be satisfied with the results and the amount of moneys they spent.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search