The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
my new build, VP"512" with front panel DI, pictures! Condenser Microphones
Old 4th May 2015
I know how you feel. My friends probably think I'm ridiculous from what I own. I just enjoy it that much! And it does make music all the more satisfying as it happens. I think rack gear is the hardest thing to spend money on, it's so expensive and specific, most of the time.
Old 14th February 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyxx View Post
here's a section of a "dub" messaround experiment (key words "messaround experiment"). I think you can hear the character of this preamp, it's on everything. There's some slight limiting on the drum machine and the loudest sections of the song. there's a lot of guitar pedal effects inline on the instruments, but none on the mix other than the limiting mentioned. Bass and drum machine were DI. No EQ.
This song still rules ....is it 6 years later ?? Time flys .......

You still using your VPMonkeyx512 ?

Any recordings on drum overheads ? 6 years later and I'm stilling thinking about overhead duites for your VPMonkeyx512 .
Old 14th February 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScumBum View Post
This song still rules ....is it 6 years later ?? Time flys .......

You still using your VPMonkeyx512 ?

Any recordings on drum overheads ? 6 years later and I'm stilling thinking about overhead duites for your VPMonkeyx512 .
What's funny is nothing has changed.

These are still my main 2 preamps, along with a single SCA N72.

These would be killer on overheads, I just know it. I have used them on minimal drum mic setups and they do very well.

Lately though I am into multi-miking the kit so I need 9 channels, I use a Yamaha MLA-8 into a Clarett 8PreX, and two channels of Presonus DP88 for the room mics.

The clarett makes a big difference compared to other interfaces I used to use, much bigger and clearer image and sound stage.
Old 14th February 2017
Quote:
If you check my "New Year Blue" EP on SoundCloud, those drums were a single mic through the VPxxx preamp, along with a second mic for subkick just for some low end. I think it sounds pretty good.
Old 5th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
What's funny is nothing has changed.

These are still my main 2 preamps, along with a single SCA N72.

These would be killer on overheads, I just know it. I have used them on minimal drum mic setups and they do very well.

Lately though I am into multi-miking the kit so I need 9 channels, I use a Yamaha MLA-8 into a Clarett 8PreX, and two channels of Presonus DP88 for the room mics.

The clarett makes a big difference compared to other interfaces I used to use, much bigger and clearer image and sound stage.
Why don't you use the mic pres in the Clarett ? You run the yamaha into the Clarett ?

Is the Yamaha MLA-8 pretty good ?
Old 5th March 2017
Quote:
Why don't you use the mic pres in the Clarett ? You run the yamaha into the Clarett ?

Is the Yamaha MLA-8 pretty good ?
Yes the Yamaha sounds fine. Very neutral. I mainly use it because of its front panel control set. I can have everything pre-set for drums and ready to go. Then I just leave the Clarett or whatever else at unity volume and press record.

So I guess I am double preamping right now, which is OK. It sounds very clean.

I think next month I am going to add another Apollo and switch the drums back to the Presonus DP88, to free up the Clarett for other tracking and mixing duties.

My rig doesn't really make perfect sense regarding the interface setup, I just have it as functional as I can at the moment. Another Apollo or two would really straighten things out a bit. Apollos don't do so well as slave interfaces. You lose a ton of functionality trying to use them as an ADAT box with something else as the master. I think the Clarett will make a better slave.

Hopefully this next addition will put the interface stuff to bed for a while so I can focus on adding more sweet outboard gear like preamps, compressors, EQ. That's sort of the last frontier for me, regarding big purchases.
Old 5th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yes the Yamaha sounds fine. Very neutral. I mainly use it because of its front panel control set. I can have everything pre-set for drums and ready to go. Then I just leave the Clarett or whatever else at unity volume and press record.

So I guess I am double preamping right now, which is OK. It sounds very clean.

I think next month I am going to add another Apollo and switch the drums back to the Presonus DP88, to free up the Clarett for other tracking and mixing duties.

My rig doesn't really make perfect sense regarding the interface setup, I just have it as functional as I can at the moment. Another Apollo or two would really straighten things out a bit. Apollos don't do so well as slave interfaces. You lose a ton of functionality trying to use them as an ADAT box with something else as the master. I think the Clarett will make a better slave.

Hopefully this next addition will put the interface stuff to bed for a while so I can focus on adding more sweet outboard gear like preamps, compressors, EQ. That's sort of the last frontier for me, regarding big purchases.
Ever try the Yamaha vs Sytek ? I'm interested in the Sytek but the Yamaha is half the price used and you get 8 pres instead of 4 .

If your going back to the Presonus DP88 , I guess those pres are as good as the yamaha ?
Old 5th March 2017
Quote:
Ever try the Yamaha vs Sytek ? I'm interested in the Sytek but the Yamaha is half the price used and you get 8 pres instead of 4 .

If your going back to the Presonus DP88 , I guess those pres are as good as the yamaha ?
I haven't specifically tested the Presonus preamps, I use them for room mics, most of the time I just use the ADC line inputs with other preamps.

To my ear, the Sytek has more of a specific tone to it, something you may want. It's very fast and slightly sharp sounding to my ear. I did not like the BurrBrown mod channels, preferred the stock channels on every source.

The Yamaha just kind of gets out of the way. No hype to speak of. It's a fantastic utility preamp. Drum recordings have plenty of size and space to them.

The Presonus DP88 is going for close to $400 on one ebay auction currently, that would be very tempting. Sadly I bought mine at full price, haha. The conversion is so good I would use it on anything. Even next to an Apollo and a Clarett.

The Yamaha is a steal though, and if you just want preamps, it's going to give you more direct front panel hardware control. It has an effective pad, which is something annoying that the Sytek does not have. I suppose ultimately I would choose the Yamaha over the Sytek.

If I wanted a solid state transformerless mic pre with a little bit of character to it, I would probably order some Seventh Circle Audio T15 channels, which is something I'd like to do. Those vaguely remind me of the Sytek in some way. I miss the one I used to have.
Old 5th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I haven't specifically tested the Presonus preamps, I use them for room mics, most of the time I just use the ADC line inputs with other preamps.

To my ear, the Sytek has more of a specific tone to it, something you may want. It's very fast and slightly sharp sounding to my ear. I did not like the BurrBrown mod channels, preferred the stock channels on every source.

The Yamaha just kind of gets out of the way. No hype to speak of. It's a fantastic utility preamp. Drum recordings have plenty of size and space to them.

The Presonus DP88 is going for close to $400 on one ebay auction currently, that would be very tempting. Sadly I bought mine at full price, haha. The conversion is so good I would use it on anything. Even next to an Apollo and a Clarett.

The Yamaha is a steal though, and if you just want preamps, it's going to give you more direct front panel hardware control. It has an effective pad, which is something annoying that the Sytek does not have. I suppose ultimately I would choose the Yamaha over the Sytek.

If I wanted a solid state transformerless mic pre with a little bit of character to it, I would probably order some Seventh Circle Audio T15 channels, which is something I'd like to do. Those vaguely remind me of the Sytek in some way. I miss the one I used to have.
Interesting ,

Theres just so much gear available these days its hard to decide , especially when you can't hear it for yourself only read stuff online .

I seem to like clean . I'm temped to modify my VP pres , swap input transformers and turn some into Monkeyx512's ..........or sell the lunch box and go all Seventh Circle Audio .

What about the Rane MS1B ? Is that T15 much better ?

Thats cool about the Presonus being so good . They have the Presonus 192 . Its crazy how these converters are so good at these lower prices . Back around early 2000's you had to spend like $1,500- $2,500 to get high end converters . Now they are like $250-$500 used , or $800 new .
Old 6th March 2017
Quote:
Interesting ,

Theres just so much gear available these days its hard to decide , especially when you can't hear it for yourself only read stuff online .

I seem to like clean . I'm temped to modify my VP pres , swap input transformers and turn some into Monkeyx512's ..........or sell the lunch box and go all Seventh Circle Audio .

What about the Rane MS1B ? Is that T15 much better ?

Thats cool about the Presonus being so good . They have the Presonus 192 . Its crazy how these converters are so good at these lower prices . Back around early 2000's you had to spend like $1,500- $2,500 to get high end converters . Now they are like $250-$500 used , or $800 new .
Yes indeed! As I look at the going prices of interfaces, it seems like there's so much good these days, and not much bad, except at the very lowest price points. There's not much to argue with above a certain point. So many great examples from a variety of brand names.

I had some Rane gear years ago, but I sold it off. It was pretty decent, pretty good even. Something about it just eventually tipped me to sell it. Something about the sound of it, and the form factor and aesthetics. The headphone amp, for example, was a little harsh sounding. I would probably go with the SCA over the Rane these days.

Yes, unfortunately there is no substitute for hearing it yourself. The best that these text based accounts can offer is a bunch of clues. Breadcrumb trails.
Old 6th March 2017
Lives for gear

Dude...mad respect man.

I'm totally envious in that I'm totally solder and 'DIY like that' averse.

Otherwise, I'd be building 8 VC528's and 8 CAPI 553F's as we speak.

...keep doing what you're doing, is all I can say!
Old 6th March 2017
Quote:
Originally Posted by 12tone View Post
Dude...mad respect man.

I'm totally envious in that I'm totally solder and 'DIY like that' averse.

Otherwise, I'd be building 8 VC528's and 8 CAPI 553F's as we speak.

...keep doing what you're doing, is all I can say!
Thanks. I don't quite know how it happened, but DIY gear has become sort of a part of my identity by now.

Along with often making "weird" sounding music!

So "keep on doing what you're doing" is sort of the motto.

I'm not sure what the next step will lead to, but there is some comfort in making progress anyway, so I intend to keep at it in this way. I figure as long as I am pouring myself into some work, that's enough to sleep well at night.
Old 6th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Thanks. I don't quite know how it happened, but DIY gear has become sort of a part of my identity by now.

Along with often making "weird" sounding music!

So "keep on doing what you're doing" is sort of the motto.

I'm not sure what the next step will lead to, but there is some comfort in making progress anyway, so I intend to keep at it in this way. I figure as long as I am pouring myself into some work, that's enough to sleep well at night.
You'd be good at designing gear . You have the ear and are good at hearing the details of sound . Thats why I keep asking you all these questions because i trust your opinion .

If its not a huge pain , could you do a comparison of the Yamaha pre vs the VPmonkeyX512 on vocal ? You could just talk or sing whatever you want . I've been tracking vocals with the mic 2 feet back . That would be cool if you could set the mic that way .

If the yamaha pre is good enough I might get it .

I don't know if I mentioned it earlier or just thought it to myself but I want that crazy song you posted 6 years ago as my phone ringtone . I'd love to be shopping at the store and it come on blasting loud for everyone to hear .
Old 6th March 2017
Quote:
You'd be good at designing gear . You have the ear and are good at hearing the details of sound . Thats why I keep asking you all these questions because i trust your opinion .

If its not a huge pain , could you do a comparison of the Yamaha pre vs the VPmonkeyX512 on vocal ? You could just talk or sing whatever you want . I've been tracking vocals with the mic 2 feet back . That would be cool if you could set the mic that way .

If the yamaha pre is good enough I might get it .

I don't know if I mentioned it earlier or just thought it to myself but I want that crazy song you posted 6 years ago as my phone ringtone . I'd love to be shopping at the store and it come on blasting loud for everyone to hear .
I'll try to get some vocal clips by the end of the day. I'm going to be messing with a D Two delay later so I'll do that at the same time.
Old 6th March 2017
ScumBum,

Here is a link to some hi rez vocal files

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5...m54SVhCVWFIREk

I don't want to spoil anyone's listening, but I guess I've never really loved the Clarett preamp. It does make a fine line stage though.

The reason I ended up buying the MLA-8 is because it did so well against the Rupert Neve Designs Portico preamp in someone else's shootout.

I think the same is here, it compares favorably to the VP preamp. Even though it's not "quite as nice" to my ear.

I think it sounds better than the clarett pre, at least.

The AIR switch would probably be great for this mic on vocals, which is an SM57 with the TAB Funkenwerk transformer. I would like to experiment with running the VP into the Clarett line input and turning on the air. Too bad I didn't think of that while I was recording these.
Old 6th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
ScumBum,

Here is a link to some hi rez vocal files

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B5...m54SVhCVWFIREk

I don't want to spoil anyone's listening, but I guess I've never really loved the Clarett preamp. It does make a fine line stage though.

The reason I ended up buying the MLA-8 is because it did so well against the Rupert Neve Designs Portico preamp in someone else's shootout.

I think the same is here, it compares favorably to the VP preamp. Even though it's not "quite as nice" to my ear.

I think it sounds better than the clarett pre, at least.

The AIR switch would probably be great for this mic on vocals, which is an SM57 with the TAB Funkenwerk transformer. I would like to experiment with running the VP into the Clarett line input and turning on the air. Too bad I didn't think of that while I was recording these.
Thanks !!!!!

I'm gonna download and check them out .
Old 8th March 2017
Lives for gear

You rule for doing that shootout !! :

And the winner is................

1. VPmonkeyXX512...but we kinda already knew that was gonna happen . It sounds great . For some reason it reminds me of what milk chocolate would sound like . The original VP pres sound spicey to me . And no I'm not an obese person that relates everything to food ! SM81's also sound spicey to me too . So I'd say "rich" is a good world to describe the VPmonkeyXX512 . Its very detailed too . Just a great sounding mic pre . Also reminds me of early 90's rock .

2. Yamaha ...It actually sounds pretty damn close to the monkey pre . The clarity seemed about the same . Its a little thinner sounding because its cleaner and a tad bit more sibilance , but that could be because you were maybe a little closer to the mic ? Over all very impressed . If it can hang with an api and sound close , its a great mic pre for the money . On drums its probably great . Even with vocals it was good , just the api has a little bit more magic since its got some nice color .

3. Focusrite.....kind of a let down . Didn't sound very good at all . Reminds me of what a Behringer ADA8000 mic pre sounded like . Kinda dull and muddy .

4. Focusrite Air .......Even worse . Now you have the original mic pre but with too much sibilance !!!

The Focusrite converters sound GREAT ! That I'm impressed with . The conversion sounds pretty much as good as you'd ever really need . Super clear and nice .

The TAB SM57 sounds great too . That vocal sound into the Monkey Pre is pretty much all you'd ever need . It sounds classic . I'm gonna pick up a TAB transformer and stick it in one of my SM57's .

Your getting a nice sound with that setup . I'd buy all that stuff you have .

Ok so to build the VPmonkeyXX512 the buy list is :

Cinemag CMMI-8PCA input transformer

and what components did you finally use for the Zobel Network ?
Old 8th March 2017
Ok, I finally took it apart to check.

Same values as the CMMI-8PCA data sheet.

100K load resistor in R2 (different from stock CAPI) and 10K and 22 pF in R3 and C1 for the zobel network, as indicated by Cinemag.

Op amp should be either GAR2520 or API 2520 for my sound, not a red dot or anything else. Well of course use what you like, haha. But this is a big part of the sound.

CMMI-8PCA input transformer can be ordered from the friendly people at Cinemag by email.

You can skip all the Bo Hansen DI type of stuff if you want to keep the output trim that comes with the CAPI. Or you could just start with a VP312DI for both.
Old 8th March 2017
Quote:
You rule for doing that shootout !! :

And the winner is................

1. VPmonkeyXX512...but we kinda already knew that was gonna happen . It sounds great . For some reason it reminds me of what milk chocolate would sound like . The original VP pres sound spicey to me . And no I'm not an obese person that relates everything to food ! SM81's also sound spicey to me too . So I'd say "rich" is a good world to describe the VPmonkeyXX512 . Its very detailed too . Just a great sounding mic pre . Also reminds me of early 90's rock .

2. Yamaha ...It actually sounds pretty damn close to the monkey pre . The clarity seemed about the same . Its a little thinner sounding because its cleaner and a tad bit more sibilance , but that could be because you were maybe a little closer to the mic ? Over all very impressed . If it can hang with an api and sound close , its a great mic pre for the money . On drums its probably great . Even with vocals it was good , just the api has a little bit more magic since its got some nice color .

3. Focusrite.....kind of a let down . Didn't sound very good at all . Reminds me of what a Behringer ADA8000 mic pre sounded like . Kinda dull and muddy .

4. Focusrite Air .......Even worse . Now you have the original mic pre but with too much sibilance !!!

The Focusrite converters sound GREAT ! That I'm impressed with . The conversion sounds pretty much as good as you'd ever really need . Super clear and nice .

The TAB SM57 sounds great too . That vocal sound into the Monkey Pre is pretty much all you'd ever need . It sounds classic . I'm gonna pick up a TAB transformer and stick it in one of my SM57's .

Your getting a nice sound with that setup . I'd buy all that stuff you have .

Ok so to build the VPmonkeyXX512 the buy list is :

Cinemag CMMI-8PCA input transformer

and what components did you finally use for the Zobel Network ?
I know what you mean by "spicey" and in this case, that is the sound I was intentionally trying to get away from. And because of my taste, this is why I sold all of my stock CAPI mic pres. It really is almost as simple as just using Cinemag iron instead of EA.

'90s rock is what I grew up on, I wonder if that's a coincidence.

The conversion you are hearing on the monkey512 was the Presonus DP88. Everything else was the Focusrite. That is how scientific my shootouts are, haha.

And in terms of the gear being used here, I would say the TAB SM57/58 and the Yamaha MLA-8 are some of the best kept secrets in audio gear today. To me the TAB Funkenwerk modded mic adequately replaces the SM7B, enough that I sold mine.

I should have tested the XMAX preamps in the Presonus. I will say that the Yamaha pres make a nice improvement to the front end of the Clarett, since like you, I do not prefer the Clarett preamp sound. It's just slightly dull sounding. I learned that during this test, so thanks for requesting it. I'm still not sure what to make of AIR since it's such a drastic high boost. I haven't really worked it into my recording method yet. This is what happens when you buy multiple new interfaces in such a short time.
Old 8th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
I know what you mean by "spicey" and in this case, that is the sound I was intentionally trying to get away from. And because of my taste, this is why I sold all of my stock CAPI mic pres. It really is almost as simple as just using Cinemag iron instead of EA.

'90s rock is what I grew up on, I wonder if that's a coincidence.

The conversion you are hearing on the monkey512 was the Presonus DP88. Everything else was the Focusrite. That is how scientific my shootouts are, haha.

And in terms of the gear being used here, I would say the TAB SM57/58 and the Yamaha MLA-8 are some of the best kept secrets in audio gear today. To me the TAB Funkenwerk modded mic adequately replaces the SM7B, enough that I sold mine.

I should have tested the XMAX preamps in the Presonus. I will say that the Yamaha pres make a nice improvement to the front end of the Clarett, since like you, I do not prefer the Clarett preamp sound. It's just slightly dull sounding. I learned that during this test, so thanks for requesting it. I'm still not sure what to make of AIR since it's such a drastic high boost. I haven't really worked it into my recording method yet. This is what happens when you buy multiple new interfaces in such a short time.
Wow ok , so maybe the Presonus conversion is a tad better than the focusrite . It wouldn't be by much though . I'm just wondering if the tad bit of extra sibilance on the yamahe pre was from the focusrite converter . My guess is the conversion between the two would be REALLY close . But you just never know .

If the XMAX mic pre is good , the Presonus is a much better unit than the Clarett . Because the mic pres and air feature on the focusrite are not very good . My guess is the Yamaha pre will still beat the XMAX . But you never know untill you try .

I'm NOT an SM7 fan . I had one , even borrowed one again recently to try again and the same result . It just doesn't have much clarity . Its not even a usable mic on vocals for me . EQ can't fix it , theres a veil over the clarity . For me a stock SM58 sounds way better . I just don't get all the SM7 love . I admit I used to be a fan boy at first cause it does sound big , but after years of using it I gave up . The SM58 and SM57 are great mics . Frank Sinatra used the SM57 , then the SM58 for a lot of his studio vocals and live . I swear that TAB modded SM57 of yours sounds as good as a classic condenser mic .

I've found that not singing directly into the mic is what to do . See this pic here , thats how you do it , hold it and sing over top like that . You get a way less muddy boomy sound that people complain about because they usually sing directly close into the mic .

So you gonna try the Yamaha into the Presonus converter and compare the XMAX pre ? If its not a hassle you should give it a go .
Old 8th March 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Ok, I finally took it apart to check.

Same values as the CMMI-8PCA data sheet.

100K load resistor in R2 (different from stock CAPI) and 10K and 22 pF in R3 and C1 for the zobel network, as indicated by Cinemag.

Op amp should be either GAR2520 or API 2520 for my sound, not a red dot or anything else. Well of course use what you like, haha. But this is a big part of the sound.

CMMI-8PCA input transformer can be ordered from the friendly people at Cinemag by email.

You can skip all the Bo Hansen DI type of stuff if you want to keep the output trim that comes with the CAPI. Or you could just start with a VP312DI for both.
Nice !!

Ok so this is the secret formula . This is classified info . I'm selling some stuff on craigslist . Once I get some money I'm building a pair of Monkey pres .

I have found though that the CAPI input transformer can actually be very clean . You just have to hit it with a low level signal . Use the pad and it actually surprising can be very clean . The normal levels we all usually use are when it gets extra spicey .

Quote from Tape Op review ,

"Depending on how you set up the gain stage, the 212s can be reference-quality clean. In fact, we purchased our 212s from Sony Classical, who were using them for symphonic recordings. "

"These tests led me to conclude that on loud sources, the VP26 is virtually identical to our API 212s. But on softer sources, it's much more revealing than our 212s. Honestly, it was like comparing a Millennia Media against the 212; that's how much more clarity there was"

That review is kinda weird , saying the 212 and VP26 sounded identical , which I don't know how that could be the case . But the hitting it with low siginal does give a pretty clean sound . I guess the input transformer starts to distort very early .
Old 8th March 2017
I need to get to the bottom of this, so yeah, I'll do another round of testing within the next day or so.

Sometimes I "eat" the SM and I get this big boomy proximity, popping, and sometimes overdrive the preamp. That is the wrong way to do it. Maybe what's great about the SM7B is the recessed diaphragm. The "cage" keeps you from ever getting too close. I hear the SM7B and the SM57 and 58 use a nearly identical diaphragm assembly. There's a lot going on with the headbaskets, and the transformer I would guess.

When I did these little vocal snippets, I made sure to hold the mic back about 4 or 5 inches, and it worked a lot better. It feels unnatural but it sounds much better.

I wasn't off axis like that though, I wonder if that would reduce the sibilance. I'll give it a try. Also really like the DBX de-esser, these days. I don't know how I lived without it.

And I agree about the condenser mic comparison. I did a song a few months ago with a 251 clone, and I overdubbed some of the vocals with the TAB mic, and they were close enough not to distract in the final mix. For whatever reason, my voice works well with the SM and the 251. I hear Bjork and Bono are SM fans also, so maybe it's not that unusual. The 251 is very flattering to me as far as condenser mics go. More so than the Peluso 47, or anything else I've tried to date.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search