The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
LDC for drum overs? Condenser Microphones
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slikjmuzik View Post
I've heard really good things about the Side address ATM450. Any thoughts?
I purchased some of the ATM450's recently and they do make fine OH's. Not the same size sonic picture as a good LDC though. Bugger than you would expect from an SDC, but not near the U87 sound that the OP likes. For those interested though, they are worth a look.
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

Nuther vote for the 414's. Classic overhead. Can be a little brittle sounding, which works nicely as OHs and takes EQ very well.
4050s sound good too.
Old 5th September 2011
Surprised no one mentioned the Mojave 201 FET. Really nice mic for the money. A pair is just outside his highest budget limit, but worth it IMHO. I don't like 414-BULS on overheads, sounds tubby/congested to my ears (I'm a big U87 fan on overheads also fwiw). A real 414 EB hell yes, but those are probably $2k each now.
Old 6th September 2011
If it has to be LDC I'd say Neumann TLM 102's. Little pricier but they sound incredible.
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanvoth View Post
If it has to be LDC I'd say Neumann TLM 102's. Little pricier but they sound incredible.
+1
Old 6th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by James 'LA' Lugo View Post
I think he wants something a little fuller then SDC. What do you think? What are you using?
My Lauten Audio Torches are more full and have a smoother top than almost any LDC I've ever tried on OHs. YMMV, OMFG, LOL, BBQ, but they really are killer.
Old 6th September 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
They really do make the set sound amazing, the toms are unreal even with no tom mics, but I did like the 414s, they are just a different taste, either or better or worse.
I got 2 new 102s for 1060.00 with no clips, I might have to return them though, I only have one clip from a 103 here, those mic clips are 92.00 a pop, ouch.
Old 6th September 2011
I've heard from many that if you're looking for a fuller sound that the Lauten Torches are the best in the SDC department. Still in love with my C42's but kinda want to move them to HH/Ride duties and get a pair of 102's for Overheads.
Old 6th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllAboutTone View Post
They really do make the set sound amazing, the toms are unreal even with no tom mics, but I did like the 414s, they are just a different taste, either or better or worse.
I got 2 new 102s for 1060.00 with no clips, I might have to return them though, I only have one clip from a 103 here, those mic clips are 92.00 a pop, ouch.
Are the 414's as smooth as the 102's? Even as a vocal mic it really shines. I still somewhat regret ditching my 102 and getting a TLM 49
Old 6th September 2011
Gear Maniac

has anybody tried audiotechnica 4040?
Old 6th September 2011
Jai guru deva om

Quote:
I've heard from many that if you're looking for a fuller sound that the Lauten Torches are the best in the SDC department. Still in love with my C42's but kinda want to move them to HH/Ride duties and get a pair of 102's for Overheads.
The Lauten do have a very deep bass response that is well suited to drums, etc.

Most of the mics mentioned in this thread can be heard on overheads in our Clipalator (including the Torch).

War
Old 7th September 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Are the 414's as smooth as the 102's? Even as a vocal mic it really shines. I still somewhat regret ditching my 102 and getting a TLM 49
Like I said both are great, the 102 have the perfect bottom and the highs aren't shrill at all, the only reason the 414s are different ? they have a little more bite in the mids to me, also the 414s seem to have a wider sound, BUT I keep going back to the 102s, just wish I had another clip and not for 92.00.
Old 7th September 2011
Gear Addict

AT 4050's
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

AKG 414...pretty much any variant.
Second runner up is a 2-way tie between Shure KSM44 and AT 4050.
Old 7th September 2011
Gear Guru

Just curious, does anyone else have 102s but rather use other mics for OHs ?
If so weigh in.
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

If you can get over the GS bad raps, try the Rode NT2000; it made me smile on a Glynn Johns set up,
Cheers, Ross
Old 7th September 2011
Lives for gear

Michael Joly modded mic

akg 214

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search