The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Anyone try these cables?
Old 5th September 2011
Anyone try these cables?

I am looking for an amazing guitar cable. I know there are plenty of threads about this, but I'm wondering if anyone has tried these.

My cables go on stage, but mostly record. I use monsters now, and I want to get into something a little different, high quality.

Armor Gold Cables
Old 5th September 2011
proaudiola makes great mogami cables
here is their website
Audio Cables & Studio Solutions | DB25, XLR, 1/4", Snakes, Patchbays, Equipment | Pro Audio LA
their prices are good and their products are high quality.
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

I don't know anything about the armor cables either. Cool marketing though, very "promising", of course. As all marketing always is.

But as the previous poster indicated, Mogami instrument cables are fantastic. Their silver series stuff has always been fantastic to my ears for interconnects, mic's, insterts, etc. But I have a mogami gold series instrument cable I use for guitar and bass and it's awesome, especially for recording. Mogami cable is consistent, you get neutrik connectors, and the mogami guaranty. There's no risk and they're affordable.
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear
I have one high end guitar cable called a Providence. Made in Japan. Very transparent. I use it for bass or when I'm using a pedal board to go to the amp.

For regular guitar I like Planet Waves. Not super crazy about their spring sleeve connectors, but it's better than the oversize Monster things. Main thing about the Planet Waves is that they have neutral sound and no microphonics. Monster drives me nuts with the noise when they move on stage. George L's and many other higher end cables sound really brittle and strident to me. I do use their set up for pedal board interconnects because of the small connectors and low loss (even though I have everything run through a homemade true bypass loop switcher. But I don't like using the connectors where they might get pulled on.

The Providence is noticeably bright compared to the Planet Waves, a Monster or standard music store cables, but not sharp and strident like the George L's.
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baroque View Post
I am looking for an amazing guitar cable.
It's highly unlikely that a guitar cable will "amaze" anyone.
Old 5th September 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by razorboy View Post
It's highly unlikely that a guitar cable will "amaze" anyone.
Apart from yourself if you convince yourself that it's "transformed your sound". But then again, I'm a guitar-cable-making-an-audible-difference sceptic.
Old 6th September 2011
You're better of learning how to make your own cable. Stay away from Monster. Mogami is it.
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear
Cable can make a difference to your sound but I think it's pretty straightforward: passive pickups form a resonant circuit with the control pots, cable and input impedance of your amp. The lower the capacitance of your cable, the higher the peak will be and the higher the frequency it will kick in at (somewhat like a wah pedal). So, the sound you get from a cable is going to be determined by your guitar, your effects if any, any buffers involved and your amp. Guys like Jimi Hendrix got GREAT sound using a very trebly guitar (strat) with pretty trebly pedals and amps, then toning the whole thing down by using a coily cable that had HUGE capacitance (not unlike Canare GS6).

The other factor is physical: how well is it put together, strain relief, contact inside the connectors, how flexible, is the jacket noisy...

Lava Cable is pretty good about talking those things thru with you and recommending cable that'll work well for what you want. Just don't figure, "I'll spend $150 and I'll get a cable that'll make my rig sound great". Not that simple...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search