The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
TASCAM US-1800/1641 Power Supply
Old 5th September 2011
Gear Head

TASCAM US-1800/1641 Power Supply

If both phantom power buttons are switched on (1-4, 5-8) does that supply phantom power for all 8 inputs?

Can both be deployed simultaneously?

Does this require a power supply, or is this all USB powered?

Also if anyone has used this machine (or US-1641 which looks the same to me), I'd like a review.

Thanks!
Old 5th September 2011
lds
Gear Nut

I use the 1641 quite a bit. It's a decent unit, highly portable, and does a decent job. It uses AC power. Yes, pressing both buttons supplies phantom power to all 8 mic inputs.

The only problem I've ever had with them (I have two units) is initial installation. Sometimes it takes a couple of times installing/reinstalling for the drivers to register properly. So far they've worked well (once installed) on XP and Win 7 on several different desktops and laptops.
Old 5th September 2011
Gear Head

Thanks lds.
So once it's up and running you won't have to keep reinstalling it after that?
Any issues with latency?
Are the preamps good?
Are the preamps gain adjustable?

Thank you again!
Old 7th September 2011
lds
Gear Nut

Yep. The only problems I've had has been with the initial installation. Sometimes it takes a few tries, but after that it's been very stable.

Latency? Some. Depends on how you set up the drivers.

The preamps are, uh, OK, I guess. Kinda noisy when you crank up the gain.

Yep. Gain is adjustable.

All in all, they're good units for the money. I've been using mine for a couple of years now. One of them gets carted all over the place and it's been extremely reliable. One I use for a portable rig, and the other one sits in a rack basically for quick and dirty MIDI I/O.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search