The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Studio to car bass translation issues Digital Converters
Old 5th September 2011
Gear Nut

Studio to car bass translation issues

hello everyone,im having a slight problem,My mixes translate very well in my opinion on almost every system but the problem im having is with bass,i mainly make hip hop,the problem is when the bass is perfect in my studio it doesnt "knock" hard enough in the car,but when it sounds good in the car it drowns out my vocals (to an extent) in the studio.Might i add the car doesnt have an complete audio system im talking factory speakers but on these same speakers other peoples songs seem reasonably bassy

just for good measure i use

a rme adi-2 converter
yamaha hs80's in crossover mode to a krk10 subwoofer (which has a front port)
and my room is treated with bass traps in the corners.
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

Sounds like your room, speakers, and speaker placement might be over emphasizing the bass in your studio. You mix in too little because of this, then it's too weak in your car. Also there may be some conflicting frequencies in the mix that are causing a perceived lack of bass and lack of clarity in the lower mids of the vocals. If you could post a mix people could chime in after giving it a listen. Or, PM me and I'll give it a listen.
Old 5th September 2011
Are you using the Sub to make music sound "good" or "fun", or are you using to provide a true representation of your bottom end? I'm guessing it might be too loud, although their could be room acoustic issues as well.

How does other commercial music sound - stuff that you know sounds great in your car?

Now the contraversional bit:

I think Harbal is a useful tool ...

Home | Har-Bal - World's First Visual Mastering Equalizer

If nothing else, read the theory and use it as an educational exercise. I like to use it as a second opinion ... I don't use it as EQ, but I find it useful to get a visual representation of my spectral balance and compare against commercial mixes I admire ...

Mastering Engineers block your ears ... (but you can't tell me that at least some ME's aren't using visual aids of some description ...)
Old 5th September 2011
Gear Head

When you listen to mixes that you generally like, do those sound good in the car? Trying to match those are a good starting point.
Old 5th September 2011
Gear Nut

Ok guys I'm sorry for wasting everyones time,I didn't take in to consideration that my track's volume is different from the volume of the songs Im comparing the bass to. So what I did was use a program called mp3 gain to get all the levels of different songs including mine to an average level,upon doing so I realized that my songs are pretty comparable it sounds good in the studio and being that all the songs where different levels that's what has threw me off when I was checking my mixes in the car,sorry for the mix-up.

Sent from my Desire HD using Gearslutz.com App
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
Are you using the Sub to make music sound "good" or "fun", or are you using to provide a true representation of your bottom end? I'm guessing it might be too loud, although their could be room acoustic issues as well.

How does other commercial music sound - stuff that you know sounds great in your car?

Now the contraversional bit:

I think Harbal is a useful tool ...

Home | Har-Bal - World's First Visual Mastering Equalizer

If nothing else, read the theory and use it as an educational exercise. I like to use it as a second opinion ... I don't use it as EQ, but I find it useful to get a visual representation of my spectral balance and compare against commercial mixes I admire ...

Mastering Engineers block your ears ... (but you can't tell me that at least some ME's aren't using visual aids of some description ...)
I just checked out Har-Bal today and even though I hear some complaining about it, it's a great tool if you mix at home in a untreated room or less than stellar situation. It's better than being clueless,chasing your tail and beating your chest it's cheating or not right. I wouldn't just match a eq and go, but by hearing it in and out of a similar song you can spot issues in the freq range, adjust and save a crap load of time for making the mix translate better from system to system. It's no ME, but for the average person having trouble like you are having it may be night and day. More or less it will get you in the ball park faster than guessing.... Just use your ears with it and adjust as you need too. From the few hours I spent with it, it will def help cut down revisions. It kind of points you in the way if you happen to be way off in a freq range and the rest is up to you. The pdf that comes with it on mastering is really educational as well.

I tend to find a lot home studios end up having lows or highs masking each other during playback in the studio and not enough 700k-800k to translate right over laptop speakers and smaller sources. Hell, it happens to the best of us, and can be a tricky thing sometimes. Also did you try hpf out some subs 20hz+ and adding a sine wave for the lower kick freq? Sounds like maybe taming that low end so it doesn't muffle out the vocals might help. Adding some more knock in the kick around 700hz-800hz(API eq is great for this) and If it gets muddy maybe take some 200hz-250hz down might help. Haven't heard it so wouldn't know for sure. A little bit of side chaining can also help cut something through as a last resort.

Question: Does anyone know of a equal Mac version that's similar to Hal-Bar? I run on a MAC and got to try it on a PC, but was hoping for something similar in the Mac world, so I wouldn't have to change my whole setup to do it or use bootcamp.
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

The "car check" is very important. Any good, translateable mix should sound GREAT in the car!

My car has "line-in" port, so I regulary bring my laptop in the car to check the mixes - and correct them if neccessary. It must look funny to my neighbours - sitting alone in the parked car and staring in the laptop screen :-)
Old 5th September 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattg082 View Post
I tend to find a lot home studios end up having lows or highs masking each other during playback in the studio and not enough 700k-800k to translate right over laptop speakers and smaller sources. Hell, it happens to the best of us, and can be a tricky thing sometimes. Also did you try hpf out some subs 20hz+ and adding a sine wave for the lower kick freq? Sounds like maybe taming that low end so it doesn't muffle out the vocals might help. Adding some more knock in the kick around 700hz-800hz(API eq is great for this) and If it gets muddy maybe take some 200hz-250hz down might help. Haven't heard it so wouldn't know for sure. A little bit of side chaining can also help cut something through as a last resort.

Sounds like some good mixing tips to me,very useful!

Old 5th September 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by filipv View Post
The "car check" is very important. Any good, translateable mix should sound GREAT in the car!

My car has "line-in" port, so I regulary bring my laptop in the car to check the mixes - and correct them if neccessary. It must look funny to my neighbours - sitting alone in the parked car and staring in the laptop screen :-)
Lol I usually put the music on my phone and do the same thing so I can relate,my neighbors have no clue I make music so they probably wonder why I'm sitting in the car for periods of time

Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

Sounds like studio monitoring phasing issues....

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search