The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Should I sell one of my 2 high end pres for a high end comp? Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 4th September 2011
Lives for gear
Should I sell one of my 2 high end pres for a high end comp?

I've been debating it for some time now. I have a Great River and Api 512c. I love the API 512c and honestly the GR sees more professional use when working with clients. The Great River has been my bread and butter in my freelance and with clients. I usually use it a lot on vocals with a SM7B I usually only use 1 pre at a time, but do like having the option if I wanna jam with someone or have two clients wanting to track at the same time, plus the color options.

I was however thinking of maybe selling one and putting up the cash differences on say a distressor,1176 or lunchbox module and having just one solid chain. What do you guys think would be better? To have 2 choices of high end pre or have one with a solid chain like Sm7b> Great River> Nice Comp? I do have good plug comps and eq plugs. I don't see myself buying a hardware eq, but a hardware comp seems to be something that's very hard to get close to in the digital world all the time especially when pushing it. A new comp like a distressor seems like it would be great during tracking and also help with some of my own work with VI synths. Maybe I should just wait another year or so when I can have it all?
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

Should I?

I love compressors, I would get a compressor in the chain, for sure.
Old 5th September 2011
If you aren't using dual mono or stereo, I'd definitely rather have a pre/comp instead of 2 preamps. It makes mixing so much easier, and usually adds some needed character into the equation. Something easy to setup and track with (probably an opto).
Old 5th September 2011
Use an RNC or a Joemeek compressor and keep the preamps
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear
Well, my budget is $400, but with selling one it puts it up there to get a good high end mono comp. I have the CLA comps, glue, Waves ect. I don't really want to go the RNC way. I'm kinda all or nothing at this point in my life after doing the mid grade stuff 11 years. Pretty much between the Great River and the API the API would have to go. As much as I love the API the Great River just does more in the way of clients and overall. I use the API mainly for my own stuff and summing tracks that were given to me pre recorded with no mojo. It's hard to part with the API for sure. I was thinking either a 1176, API 527 or a Distressor. I don't think I'll lost too much selling one, but I will say I do a lot of DI recording and the API seems to fair well better than the GR for laying down DI electric guitar and most where as the Great River handles everything great that's miced. Kinda sticky situation...

I was thinking maybe saving and keeping both and looking for a used purple action in the 500 series since they aren't too much in comparison to the other comps. Best overall buy for non colored seems to be the Elysia 500 series. The Ditressor with brit mode seems to be the way I'd lean as far as versatile. I need something for tracking as well as spicing up VI instruments for my own music.
Old 5th September 2011
Save for a nice comp. The day you sell your 2nd pre you will get a gig where you need it...It's Murphy's law. $.02
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waltz Mastering View Post
Save for a nice comp. The day you sell your 2nd pre you will get a gig where you need it...It's Murphy's law. $.02
You're probably right...I struggled a lot just for those two pres. Was broke and almost lost everything over a 8 month time period to do it, but the money from clients slowly paid it off. It was a very risky venture, but I just made it through this week and back on par with the bank account...Haha here I am asking for more trouble Who knows...I check my finaces and maybe i can keep it all and do it in a few months here.

Just wanted a honest opinion... Both are great preamps and Honestly when I got them I was only going for one and after a two week trial both prooved extremely useful and my clients, plus rates have gone up.
Old 5th September 2011
Gear Guru

All is important and I know you want to keep all of it, question? is your convertors up to par? That is more important than many things, yeah that means more cash but well worth it, I sinked 4K into my used convertors, best thing I ever did.
btw, hardware eq's are so much better than plugs.

UA compressor or a 525 is the best bang for the buck.
Old 5th September 2011
Gear Addict

Maybe have a look at a DBX 160 a/x/xt. Well within your budget on the used market.
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllAboutTone View Post
All is important and I know you want to keep all of it, question? is your convertors up to par? That is more important than many things, yeah that means more cash but well worth it, I sinked 4K into my used convertors, best thing I ever did.
btw, hardware eq's are so much better than plugs.

UA compressor or a 525 is the best bang for the buck.

My converter is good enough I think, I only need 2 channel count. It's a Rosetta 200. My main mic is a SM7b. I do a lot of DI as well. On my list right now is a compressor, synth like a Juno 106/60/ moog(more for myself) and a SM81 to mic acoustics a bit better. I do a lot of stuff DI in my apartment for obvious reasons. Computer is a Mac Pro Quad core first gen that's still going.

To the other poster above ^ I was actually thinking of a Dbx on ebay. I think if I can get the funds right a lunchbox series like a 527 or a distressor would be the right move. Guess I'll work harder and focus on which one I want and make a buy between now and the end of the year.

I have to ask though... Based on opinion how much do you think it's a step up from say CLA waves, Softube ect. to the real deal. I know it sounds better based upon experience, but do you guys notice the difference as much on the final product to justify 1,000+ dollars when you already have the plugs? My dream would be a SSL stereo on the 2 buss, APi 2500 on the drum buss, 1176/CL1b for vocals, La3a on Acoustics and some SSL E channel series channel strips mainly for boost eq. That's the setup I use ITB most of the time.
Old 5th September 2011
Old 5th September 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattg082 View Post
My converter is good enough I think, I only need 2 channel count. It's a Rosetta 200. My main mic is a SM7b. I do a lot of DI as well. On my list right now is a compressor, synth like a Juno 106/60/ moog(more for myself) and a SM81 to mic acoustics a bit better. I do a lot of stuff DI in my apartment for obvious reasons. Computer is a Mac Pro Quad core first gen that's still going.

To the other poster above ^ I was actually thinking of a Dbx on ebay. I think if I can get the funds right a lunchbox series like a 527 or a distressor would be the right move. Guess I'll work harder and focus on which one I want and make a buy between now and the end of the year.

I have to ask though... Based on opinion how much do you think it's a step up from say CLA waves, Softube ect. to the real deal. I know it sounds better based upon experience, but do you guys notice the difference as much on the final product to justify 1,000+ dollars when you already have the plugs? My dream would be a SSL stereo on the 2 buss, APi 2500 on the drum buss, 1176/CL1b for vocals, La3a on Acoustics and some SSL E channel series channel strips mainly for boost eq. That's the setup I use ITB most of the time.
I am not sure about everyone else, I can only speak for myself, I mix ITB and OTB depends on what the artist want, but I can tell a difference in the end result, I mean its almost like the difference between a solid state amp and a tube one to give an example.
Just like your Rosetta 200, yea it sounds great but if you had a big ben clocking it once you heard the difference in the clocks believe me you would keep the better clock. I have the 16x series wow what a difference they made. And yes its money you might not have, at least through your decisions you are making the right ones, you are buying gear that you can at least break even if you decide to sell. I don't buy any low or medium grade gear anymore, its all high end or close up shop.
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'm kinda all or nothing at this point in my life after doing the mid grade stuff 11 years.
Quote:
I struggled a lot just for those two pres.

You're on the right track.
Stay on it.

Henk
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

A good comp will make more of a difference in your recordings than another mic amp.
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

First do a search here on the Aphex 651. They run around $150 used on ebay for a decent unit. When you have an additional $150 look into Jim Williams upgrading it. It's a clean transparent comp that hangs with the expensive big boys. Perfect for tracking duties where you don't want color. If you do want color during tracking and since you are doing mostly vocals, look into the FET type comps but they are not cheap so you will have to save up for them.
Old 6th September 2011
ecc
Here for the gear

You definitely should get a compressor for tracking. Personally I think the dbx 160x, xt, FMR, Aphex, etc, while being useful in some cases, are not going to get clients very excited when they do vocals. I've seen non-brit mod distressors for 800 on craigslist here in LA and they sell for 900 sometimes on ebay. You can use them for pretty much anything.
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

really cheap: FMR RNC

slightly less cheap: DBX 160

slightly expensive: Distressor

slightly more expensive (but damn awesome) Purple MC77

whichever one you get....get one. tracking with a bit of compression makes mixing so much easier, makes things sound more like a record sooner, and forces you to make decisions and commit to sounds.
Old 6th September 2011
member no 666

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattg082 View Post
Well, my budget is $400, but with selling one it puts it up there to get a good high end mono comp.
OK - you're really close to having a very professional solution... in fact you're only about $75- from that solution.

The FMR "PBC-6A". Yes, its relatively inexpensive... yes, its 1/3 of a rack space like an RNC... BUT - it stands up next to units that are 4 times as expensive very nicely... AND can give you all kinds of wonderful sonic options.

At the last place I worked we had PBC-6A's racked with Crane Song and Thermionic Culture units... next to MC-77's and EL-8's. It got just as much use, and held up brilliantly.

Give it a go... you won't be disappointed!!
Old 6th September 2011
Gear Addict

Depends, do you need 2 pre's, or a compressor?
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fletcher View Post
OK - you're really close to having a very professional solution... in fact you're only about $75- from that solution.

The FMR "PBC-6A". Yes, its relatively inexpensive... yes, its 1/3 of a rack space like an RNC... BUT - it stands up next to units that are 4 times as expensive very nicely... AND can give you all kinds of wonderful sonic options.

At the last place I worked we had PBC-6A's racked with Crane Song and Thermionic Culture units... next to MC-77's and EL-8's. It got just as much use, and held up brilliantly.

Give it a go... you won't be disappointed!!
That wasn't even on my radar. I actually looked at a used purple action I could afford since I have a lunchbox already. It kind of got mixed reviews when it came to vocals. Would you say this one is on par with that as far as quality goes? My biggest thing is I don't want to end up with a alright comp that one of my plugins can beat out...Then it's pretty much a waste of money to me right there.

To the other poster on top. 2 preamps does help a lot and gives me options. when it's needed, it's needed. Could I get by with one of my pres...probably. So it's not so cut and dry whether I need 2 or not...Sometimes I do and sometimes I don't, but if I had to make it work I probably could. Like I said before, I was only in the market for 1 preamp when I bought them, but both proved equally important to what they provided, so the slut in me bought both. I'm a addict to the API sound, but just never cared for them on most vocals compared to the Neve sound. When working with clients being versatile is pretty important to me compared to just tracking myself. I feel I'm supplying the artists/clients needs as well, which factors into my decisions. The two help a lot when getting those acoustic singer song writers that want to play and sing at once, as well as personal jam sessions. A good comp could add sonic character and maybe help my recordings sit and sound better I'm thinking and get things going right from the start....with the mix skills as well, which are equally important.
Old 6th September 2011
Radial Engineering Komit....
And when the time comes, trade it for another 500 series....
499 dollar.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u93Ham0cLlo
Old 6th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Don't move laterally, always move up. Get the best damn stereo comp out there and get on with your ambitions.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search