The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
need a pre-amp to go with Duet 2 Dual-Channel Preamps
Old 4th September 2011
Gear Maniac

need a pre-amp to go with Duet 2

I'm recording vocals with a duet 2, was wondering what pre-amps people have used. I'm thinking Avalon373 but I don't know if it's worth it...

the Grace101 is cheap but its kinda ugly
Old 4th September 2011
Lives for gear

Didn't you just ask this question in another post about a minute ago?

Do you mean Avalon 737?
Old 4th September 2011
Isn't the idea of the Duet is to use the built in Apogee preamps, which are rather good ...

A Duet2 is on my shopping list (if not the Symphony i/o) but i'm still runnings PCs here until next upgrade

Clearly you could run any preamp you wanted ... I've got API & Neve Portico, but for me the reason to get a Duet is the simplicity of mobile recording on a laptop without need to brings racks of gear ...
Old 4th September 2011
Lives for gear

What do you not like about the Duet's preamps?
What are you looking for specifically?
Do you even know with utmost certainty that you need another preamp?
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

need

If you want to spend money, spend it and have fun. I would get a tube mic pre like the Tabfunkenwerk v72 or something.
Old 5th September 2011
Gear Maniac

well i needed to buy A/D - D/A converters and a pre-amp, and I only need 1 ch, so wanted to get a nice pre and then use the duet just to pass the signel to my computer...

I don't even know if this is possible?

Basically I would have gotten Symphony I/O or Digidesign 192 and then avalon 737 or manley but I only needed one channel... does that make sense?

thanks for your inputs
Old 5th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007 View Post
What do you not like about the Duet's preamps?
OP, answer this.
Old 5th September 2011
Gear Maniac

well i just want the best possible quality of sound, and i've heard that the duet has good converters but not the best pres.

the duet works alright, but the gain response is just not the same as even my old focusrites when i worked out of a protools HD + digidesign192

i don't know if you can hook a tube pre to the duet or not but i just wanted to see if that could yield a much (noticeably) higher quality sound than using just the duet standalone..
Old 5th September 2011
Gear Nut

yes. you can hook up a mic pre to the duet. most mic pres are +4db output, so all you have to do is connect the mic pre to the xlr input of the duet, and switch the input mode to +4 from within the maestro software.

most mic pres will sound different than apogees stock pres.. depending on what your looking for.

the duets pres are pretty much transparent.
Old 5th September 2011
Gear Maniac

i just feel like everyone here thinks putting an avalon737 with a duet is ********.. i'm just trying to get the best quality i can here but i don't wanna blow 2+ grand on something that's not the right play
Old 5th September 2011
Old 5th September 2011
Gear Maniac

that search gives no results, whatever it is
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob The Viking View Post
yes. you can hook up a mic pre to the duet. most mic pres are +4db output.
My Api a2d runs really hot and -10 seems to make me feel safer in maestro!
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

Pres for the Duet

I typically bring along a Great River ME1-NV or Rupert Neve Portico 5012. They both are a half rackspace and fit into my computer bag along with my Macbook and Duet. Its a good little mobile setup!

Slight advantage to the Portico recently since it has two channels.
Old 6th September 2011
I love my Portico 5012 too. Another advantage is that it can run off 12V DC. (It's a class A preamp, and the voltage is coverted to higher voltage internally - so it sucks a lot of current and you'll need a decent battery). But should you want to use your laptop mobile, you can still take your preamp with no compromise.
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

You can use any mic pre you like with the Duet.

What sounds best to you is purely a matter of opinion.
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post
I'm recording vocals with a duet 2, was wondering what pre-amps people have used. I'm thinking Avalon373 but I don't know if it's worth it...

the Grace101 is cheap but its kinda ugly
I think you meant Avalon 737... heh which I own two of. Love them.

Do not judge the m501 because of looks. The Grace m101 rocks. Grace would be wise to charge double for it.
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by assassin View Post
i just feel like everyone here thinks putting an avalon737 with a duet is ********.. i'm just trying to get the best quality i can here but i don't wanna blow 2+ grand on something that's not the right play

I say this all the time but use your ears. Why do you care what other people think? Listen to the 737 with the Duet, if it rocks your world, thats what matters. [with that said, seriously, the Grace m101 deserves a listen]

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search