The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Best mics for mellow rhythm acoustic guitar Condenser Microphones
Old 4th September 2011
Gear Addict

Best mics for mellow rhythm acoustic guitar

I am looking for a pair of mics to record mellow acoustic guitar tracks. Mostly for tv commercials. I have used Neumann km184s, and I am considering another pair of them, but I would love something a little more warm.

Any thoughts?

I would love to keep the price around $1200 for the pair, but I can stretch it if necessary.
Old 4th September 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_McEnroe View Post
I am looking for a pair of mics to record mellow acoustic guitar tracks. Mostly for tv commercials. I have used Neumann km184s, and I am considering another pair of them, but I would love something a little more warm.

Any thoughts?

I would love to keep the price around $1200 for the pair, but I can stretch it if necessary.
A little more mellow? That'll be mostly anything then.....try a pair of little blondies. Forget about their price, record something and compare with your old KM184 recordings.......
Old 4th September 2011
Gear Maniac

A pair of Josephson C42's in front, A Mojave MA200 over the shoulder aimed at the 42's. Yummy!!
Old 4th September 2011
Gear Nut

mellow => ribbon mics !
AEA, royer, cloud, peluso, beyerdynamic...
Old 4th September 2011
Gear Addict

I think some ribbons could actually be pretty great. I have never used ribbons on acoustic guitar, though I can probably borrow a royer 121 to try it out next week. Do people generally record in stereo with ribbons? How about a coles 4038 for acoustic?
Old 4th September 2011
Lives for gear

Beyer M160 sounds fantastic. The hypercardipd pattern is great as i can control more of the dorect sound without any unnecessary room spinds or phase issues being dragged in through the rear lobe of a FIG8 ribbon. I am generally pairing one with an ALG C451.
Old 4th September 2011
Gear Guru

Another vote for ribbons. Love the modded Apex 205's. Get yourself some FETHeads if you are going the ribbon route, as you'll probably need the extra gain.

Another surprisingly good sounding candidate - the Sennheiser 421, or for a touch more neutral - the 441.
Old 5th September 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
I think some ribbons could actually be pretty great. I have never used ribbons on acoustic guitar, though I can probably borrow a royer 121 to try it out next week. Do people generally record in stereo with ribbons? How about a coles 4038 for acoustic?
Coles 4038 sound great with almost everything. But you'll perhaps need to couple it with something more brilliant. Try if you can
Old 5th September 2011
Gear Maniac

If you want it to sit as a texture more then a focal point, try using a 57 around the 12th; (and a LCD further back for a bit of ambience.. why not)

More then happy for someone to call b.s. on this, but I like it.
Old 5th September 2011
Gear Head

Quote:

Then try a pair of Neumann KM-84 (the transformer based vintage one) going into a BAE 1073 MPF... I bet you'll love me if you try this!
Old 5th September 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by americansun View Post
Then try a pair of Neumann KM-84 (the transformer based vintage one) going into a BAE 1073 MPF... I bet you'll love me if you try this!
I would love to try this, but I think those will be a bit out of my budget. I mostly do electronic based stuff, with just occasional acoustic guitar on certain jobs.

I currently have a great river mp2-nv, and a soundelux U99. I have easy access to a royer 121, so I will definitely try that.
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

I find the Beyer MC930 are the perfect complement to the KM-84 sound, and the price is extremely good

If you feel the need to spend a little more, then the Mojave MA-100 pair really sound fantastic
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

Another vote for the Beyer 160. Smooth and clear on strummed acoustic.
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalcl View Post
mellow => ribbon mics !
AEA, royer, cloud, peluso, beyerdynamic...

AEA 44c rules!

Or, 44BX.

Neumann KM54 into 1272 or V76 with an EAR 660 is not a bad way to go either.
Old 5th September 2011
I'd vote for ribbons as well - the Josephson C42 is not mellower on guitar than the Neumanns, though you might like the way it cuts through more than the way the Neumann cuts through (I do). If you're used to the high sizzle of condensers, though, you might find some of the older, more mid-focused ribbons (like the Beyers) to be a bit too mellow for your taste, so the Royers, Crowley & Tripp (now Shure), AEA R92 might be a happy medium.
Old 5th September 2011
Gear Addict

Try an MK319. I love that into my mp2-nv.
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
I have a pair of Royer SF-1s. They are perfect for mellow acoustic guitars. They are a bit brighter than the R-121 and 4038, but still way smoother than most SDCs and LDCs.
Old 5th September 2011
Gear Guru

Start with the guitar, that makes a huge difference.
Old 6th September 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllAboutTone View Post
Start with the guitar, that makes a huge difference.

Very true, any suggestions for a good mellow rhythm acoustic? Only to be used for recording, never live. Most of the time it wont actually be me playing it (I hire guys to come play guitar on my ads usually). I probably have $2000 to spend on an acoustic.
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

Well, "mellow" means different things to different people, but Martin makes excellent sounding guitars.
Old 6th September 2011
AKG C 460 B with the CK61 capsule. Well within your budget, and you will even have enough left over to send them to Jim Williams to get upgraded, or buy the really great CK62 omni capsules
Old 6th September 2011
I think those Gibson LG small body acoustics are great for mellow strumming or finger picking.
Old 6th September 2011
Lives for gear

On the guitar front, I use a fairly inexpensive seagull cedar top acoustic for mellow sounds. I have 2 Gibsons (J45 and SJ-200), a Martin D-42, and Taylor for comparison.

It sounds halfway between a nylon and steel string I suppose due to the cedar top. It records so well for mellow/intimate parts. I discovered it by accident as I was tracking a demo and it was sitting out in recording room. Hey, the tracks not a keeper...just use anything right? We ended cutting up that track for the final.

Old gibsons are great also, but pricey in good condition.
Old 7th September 2011
Gear Maniac

I only ever use the sm7 on acoustic. Just put one 1 inch from the sound hole/strings and you'll be nice and ****ed when it comes time to mix.
Old 7th September 2011
Quote:
How about a coles 4038 for acoustic?
This is what I was going to suggest. They are a little more expensive than your budget, but well worth it.
Old 7th September 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Korneff View Post
This is what I was going to suggest. They are a little more expensive than your budget, but well worth it.

Cool to hear, I have never used the COles for acoustic, though the time I did get to try the coles on drums they were amaaaaazing. I would love an excuse to pick some up :D.

Is it common practice to get a stereo pair for something like acoustic or just one?
Old 7th September 2011
Gear Addict

For an awesome mellow acoustic strummed sound try Thomastik flat wounds on your guitar. I have them on a Gibson j160 and it's a beautiful tone.
Old 7th September 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:

If you're familiar with the Mid-Side recording technique, try it with an Oktava MK-012 (preferably Joly-modded ) as the Mid mic and a Royer 121 as the Side mic.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search