The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Q about 110/220v power for gear (touring in Europe) Mixers (Analog)
Old 4th September 2011
Gear Addict

Q about 110/220v power for gear (touring in Europe)

Hi,

This is more of a tech question about power, but I'm sure many here have toured Europe & dealt with these issues.

(1) When it comes to some wall-wart gear, they sometimes offer different plug adapters, so you can just pop out the NA-style plug, and pop in an EU style one... And from what I understand, no power conversion is needed here right? Is that because the power conversion is taken care of within the wall-wart power supply, or what? Or am I wrong in thinking that I can just use this plug without a power adaptor? In this case I'm referring specifically to a plug for a Dave Smith Mopho. In the past I used a Moogerfooger with a European wall-wart and it worked fine. Can anyone confirm for me that I am going to be OK plugging in this Mopho after popping in that Euro adaptor?

(2) With non-wall-wart gear, if it doesn't have a 110/220v switch on it, I guess this means that I have to use a power converter right? I am actually hoping that there may be some way to use a Euro plug with a couple of my 3-prong-plug units (Soundcraft EPM mixer + Roland V-Synth-XT) but since I can't seem to find anything about this in the manual, I guess this means that it's made specifically for North America and I can't just switch it to 220V without opening it up (which I'm not even going to try)??

(3) Currently I have 4 pieces of gear that are going to need power conversion. I used to carry around this HEAVY 500W converter - expensive too... I replaced it with a much cheaper, and importantly, MUCH lighter 100W converter. The 4 units add up to 89W consumption, and I'm getting worried that this converter is going to struggle with that. It seems solid enough but was $15-ish where my old one cost me $150+ years ago. Any thoughts on this - should I just stick with the 500W even though it's 2.5kg heavier?

Any insights would be appreciated - thanks!

Jason
Old 4th September 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by s o l v e n t View Post
Hi,

This is more of a tech question about power, but I'm sure many here have toured Europe & dealt with these issues.

(1) When it comes to some wall-wart gear, they sometimes offer different plug adapters, so you can just pop out the NA-style plug, and pop in an EU style one... And from what I understand, no power conversion is needed here right? Is that because the power conversion is taken care of within the wall-wart power supply, or what? Or am I wrong in thinking that I can just use this plug without a power adaptor? In this case I'm referring specifically to a plug for a Dave Smith Mopho. In the past I used a Moogerfooger with a European wall-wart and it worked fine. Can anyone confirm for me that I am going to be OK plugging in this Mopho after popping in that Euro adaptor?

(2) With non-wall-wart gear, if it doesn't have a 110/220v switch on it, I guess this means that I have to use a power converter right? I am actually hoping that there may be some way to use a Euro plug with a couple of my 3-prong-plug units (Soundcraft EPM mixer + Roland V-Synth-XT) but since I can't seem to find anything about this in the manual, I guess this means that it's made specifically for North America and I can't just switch it to 220V without opening it up (which I'm not even going to try)??

(3) Currently I have 4 pieces of gear that are going to need power conversion. I used to carry around this HEAVY 500W converter - expensive too... I replaced it with a much cheaper, and importantly, MUCH lighter 100W converter. The 4 units add up to 89W consumption, and I'm getting worried that this converter is going to struggle with that. It seems solid enough but was $15-ish where my old one cost me $150+ years ago. Any thoughts on this - should I just stick with the 500W even though it's 2.5kg heavier?

Any insights would be appreciated - thanks!

Jason
Hi Jason

1> Look at each wall wart. It will have info on it saying something like "input: 110-240 volts". If the wall wart accepts a voltage it will say on it. I find most do, but not all.

2> It needs a switch on it. Often you will need to change the fuse too. Sometimes the switches are internal. Sometimes (rarely) it may switch automatically, in similar way to question 1.

Actually your roland may be automatic. In the manual for your roland it says: "Power Supply: AC 115 V, AC 117 V, AC 220 V, AC 230 V, AC 240 V (50/60 Hz)" although it is unclear if that is auto switching, or different models, or internal switch or what. So, dunno. check with the manufacturer if it is not in the manual. If it says it on the back of the unit then you should be safe.

3> Theoretically the little one should work, but I always try to have at least double the rating (this isn't based on science, it just makes me feel safer). Can you get two of the smaller ones?

Matt
Old 5th September 2011
Gear Addict

thanks for your reply Matt!

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt thomas View Post
1> Look at each wall wart. It will have info on it saying something like "input: 110-240 volts". If the wall wart accepts a voltage it will say on it. I find most do, but not all.
OK thanks I'll check that.

Quote:
2> It needs a switch on it. Often you will need to change the fuse too. Sometimes the switches are internal. Sometimes (rarely) it may switch automatically, in similar way to question 1.

Actually your roland may be automatic. In the manual for your roland it says: "Power Supply: AC 115 V, AC 117 V, AC 220 V, AC 230 V, AC 240 V (50/60 Hz)" although it is unclear if that is auto switching, or different models, or internal switch or what. So, dunno. check with the manufacturer if it is not in the manual. If it says it on the back of the unit then you should be safe.
Hmm, I was wondering about that from the Roland manual! Maybe I will give Roland a call and see about that.

Quote:
3> Theoretically the little one should work, but I always try to have at least double the rating (this isn't based on science, it just makes me feel safer). Can you get two of the smaller ones?
I can't order a 2nd 100W one in time... Anyway 2 of those is still almost the same weight as my one 500W unit so no point really. I think I may be OK, especially if I can get the Roland plugged in direct, but also because my Soundcraft mixer says it's power consumption is "no more than 35 W" - it's a shared manual with the EFX8 which has built-in FX, so I'm guessing that my EPM8 takes well under 35W.... Still I may end up just taking the 500W unit just to be safe.

thanks

Jason
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

If it were me, I'd bring *both* of 'em! You don't want to find yourself in Bratislava or wherever with a crapped-out adapter ten minutes before showtime and no backup.

And, matt thomas's advice about reading the plates on the equipment is very good - that's the absolute best source for info on these things.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search