The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
On what gear should I spend my budget first ? Condenser Microphones
Old 4th September 2011
Gear Nut

On what gear should I spend my budget first ?

Hello, I currently own a small home studio and am thinking on what to spend on first.
My current gear:
Steinberg mr816x audio interface
M-Audio bx8a speakers
Virus ti 2 Polar
Rode Nt1a mic
Shure Sm7b mic

My room is pretty acousticly treated, I'm aiming either to get a lunchbox with an API 512c pre, or upgrade my monitoring speakers to Focal solo 6 be's.
What do you think ?

Thanks in advance.
Old 4th September 2011
Gear Nut

Bump.
Please anyone ? This is very important to me.
Old 4th September 2011
Lives for gear

What are the demands of the studio? Are you recording full bands or just vocals?
Old 4th September 2011
Lives for gear

sell the virus and rode..buy a used 1176 and averill 1073.. sm7 - 1073 -1176..chain done.
Old 4th September 2011
Gear Nut

I will be recording full bands, but for now its mostly vocals and guitars, bass, no drums yet.
Old 4th September 2011
Gear Nut

I'd add an Audient ASP 008 ADAT/AES 8 channel preamp and probably some workhorse microphones.

Personally if on a budget I'd add two pairs of Oktava 012 (one with all capsules), a pair of Rode M3, one or two SM57 and one or two AKG D112 or Shure 52.

That should cover a band pretty well, even with drums. It is pretty much what we record bands with, although we also have some more AKG (414, 214, C3000, 451, C1000) pairs and a Neumann pair (KM 184) for variety.
Old 6th September 2011
Gear Addict

How about a channel strip with mic pre, eq and compression. The API one is good bang for buck and will get you up and running for much less than buying all 3 separately. If you have more to spend then a recording chain like the one described by bobemmett will deliver.
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

Mics and monitors are key.

There are tons of great sounding plugins that are cheap/free. They may not sound better than a hardware 1176, but they'll do the job til you buy one. They will meet your eq and compression needs with no problems. Check out Stilwell and Antress.

Preamps can't fix a lack of mics or weak monitors. I wouldn't consider buying preamps til I had the mics I wanted. 5-7 SM57s, some decent LDCs, a couple of cheapish ribbons (great for overheads and figure 8s), and the mics you have should be enough.

Monitors are the most important part of the entire mixing process. You can cut a lot of corners, but monitors are crucial. I'd probly put them at the top of the list.
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

Get some NS-10's on ebay

OktavaMod - Affordable Boutique Microphones

This guy mods and make the best mic bang for the buck.

A lunchbox would be cool, or SCA pre's

the 1176 would be nice. But I would probably just get a la-610 as a very basic channel strip for bass and vox.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search