The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Will humidity/spit get through metal pop filter? Condenser Microphones
Old 4th September 2011
Here for the gear

Will humidity/spit get through metal pop filter?

So at the moment I'm tossing up between getting a metal or nylon pop filter.. I know there's already quite a few threads here (so I'm aware of the usual arguments like HF frequency loss from nylons, harder to clean, etc.) – BUT the one thing that I can't seem to find much information on is how well metal pop filters block saliva (as well as just the humidity of a vocalist's breath).

I guess in my mind I can imagine some of the spit getting through the much larger gaps in a metal filter, and more often, the moisture from breath... and I know condensor mics are rather delicate and particularly sensitive to humidity.. and I'm just a bit paranoid..

Thanks in advance for the help!
Old 4th September 2011
Lives for gear

It's mostly a matter of technique. I find that if I angle my neck back as a kind of backswing, then snap my head forward and spit hard right when my neck becomes vertical, I can usually get the spittle through both the pop filter and the mic's own internal windscreen. It's gonna depend of course on the particular mic. The SM7 for example is really tough, with all that distance between the front of the cage and the element. Something like a C12 through a Stedman is a piece of cake, you can give that puppy a bath from a meter away.

only kidding. I've been using metal pop screens for a long while with mics that I care a lot about and haven't yet had any pick up any moisture. I don't think they are noticeably worse than nylon ones in that regard.

-synthoid
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search