The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
sm7>512c>compressor Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 4th September 2011
sm7>512c>compressor

I just spent all my money on the 512c/lunchbox so the budget is quite low for the moment.

I could afford the FMR RNC though. My concern is that the louder vocals are not in-the-face enough therefore I'm thinking of the compressor. In addition I don't believe I want to spend much on something that should be used so subtly.

It would be nicer to have the comp in the lunchbox which involves saving for a while. I've heard good things about purple action which is probably the most I'd want to spend for the subtle effect.

But, I don't know how it goes with the sm7/512c for belted rock vox. Do you?

Are there any other alternatives, like a ~$300, 500 series comp?
Old 4th September 2011
Lives for gear

The best one I am enjoying on vocals is the API 525. It is not subtle. It isn't really and in your face type sound though. For that I go to an 1176. I am looking at some "actions" as well for another flavor of 1176 type sound. In my experience $300 hardware compressors are only good enough to be used in a subtle way. You might look at a software compressor in that price range for better results.
Old 4th September 2011
Are you recording/mixing in a DAW? If so, I'd just stick with a plug-in.

I really like the Aphex 651, it's clean and can do a lot of gain reduction with any noticeable artifacts, but it's not going to impart any "tone"
Old 4th September 2011
so I guess the RNC won't get the in-u-face thing?

1176 does...and the action is similar

so ruling out the cheap hardware comps.

what plugin comps might do the in-ur-face?
Old 4th September 2011
Gear Addict

I have the API Channel Strip which has the 512c pre, 550A EQ & 527 comp. The 527 is great with the 512c and SM7. I haven't tried the RNC with it - the Distressor is the other compressor I use a lot for tracking with this combo.
Old 4th September 2011
Lives for gear

the RNC offers ridiculous bang for the buck.

i would highly recommend that you buy one. spend a while learning the nuances of hardware compression. and save up some money if you want something more expensive in the future.
Old 4th September 2011
Gear Maniac

The RNC is ok but if you're looking for the 1176 sound
& have a small budget grab the Stillwell Rocket Plugin.

I have the RNC & 1176 hardware.
I also use the Waves CLA classic Comps Plugins which are killer!
But for the dough, the Rocket will do a very believable 1176!!

Cheers
Sean
Old 4th September 2011
Lives for gear

Summit TLA-50?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search