The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mic > Api 512 > MacBook Pro - Possible? Audio Interfaces
Old 3rd September 2011
Gear Head

Mic > Api 512 > MacBook Pro - Possible?

I can't use my external soundcard today but have to record a song for the cutest girl in the world.

what i've got is my macbook pro, a decent mic, and an api 512. the question really is, how decent is the latest generation macbook pro 17"'s soundcard?

can i connect my mic to my api 512 and from there directly into my soundcard with a big pin to small pin converter.

like one of these:
http://pic.tradeage.com/black-2-5mm-...131.jpeg?w=160

it sounds pretty foolish, but i just had to ask.

how bad is this going to sound? compared to my usual mic > api 512 > fireface > mac?
Old 4th September 2011
Lives for gear

it'll sound really bad.

macbook line in is special.

like Tommy Boy kind of special.

George W. Bush kind of special.

i wouldn't do it.
Old 4th September 2011
Lives for gear

Dude really? It'll sound fine, as long as you interface it correctly. It's expecting either a little computer mic or two unbalanced signals on one TRS line. So if you take the XLR>TRS lead out of your API via 1/4>minijack adapter you'll be feeding the tip to input 1 and the sleeve (inverted signal) to input 2. So set your software to record input 1 only, and in sound preferences turn the input level all the way down. I've recorded this way to laptops and it's been fine. You'll probably want to set your API gain lower than usual to avoid overloading the input.
Old 4th September 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan jetter View Post
it'll sound really bad.
i wouldn't do it.
that bad? ****, now i got to cancel the appointment, and it's too late to go out and buy anything to overcome this.

this really ruined my weekend.
Old 4th September 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcb4t2 View Post
Dude really? It'll sound fine, as long as you interface it correctly. It's expecting either a little computer mic or two unbalanced signals on one TRS line. So if you take the XLR>TRS lead out of your API via 1/4>minijack adapter you'll be feeding the tip to input 1 and the sleeve (inverted signal) to input 2. So set your software to record input 1 only, and in sound preferences turn the input level all the way down. I've recorded this way to laptops and it's been fine. You'll probably want to set your API gain lower than usual to avoid overloading the input.
@rcb really?

sounds promising, i had to google xlr, trs, and 1/4 minijack adapter but that's exactly what i was going for! i'll give it a shot and see if it sounds alright, if it does i'll record.

thank you very much for replying!
Old 4th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
i agree with all of that, except for the part about it sounding fine. in my experience it is not really suitable for professional work. YMMV.
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
i agree with all of that, except for the part about it sounding fine. in my experience it is not really suitable for professional work. YMMV.
Depends on the situation really. Great recordings have been made with less! And I'm not a lo-fi lover - just saying specs wise the mb soundcard probably slays the digital recorders of the 90s. It'll certainly sound better than silence if he canceled the session.
Old 8th September 2011
Gear Head

thanks to you all for the great support and insight. this is truly a great forum, and you guys make this that great!

luckily the girl canceled last minute, and I didn't have to try this, I got a fireface 800 now, which makes things easier, but it's good to know it'll be alright with just the macbook and a mic, I'll give that a shot once i have more time, to compare the 2 recordings.
Old 8th September 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
it'll sound really bad.

i wouldn't do it.
LMAO!!!!!!
Old 8th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Depends on the situation really. Great recordings have been made with less! And I'm not a lo-fi lover - just saying specs wise the mb soundcard probably slays the digital recorders of the 90s. It'll certainly sound better than silence if he canceled the session.
FWIW i agree with that-

definitely preferable to canceling and losing the gig.

i would say probably *not* preferable to *postponing*, if it can be rescheduled with real gear and for the reasonably near future.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search