The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
The preamp craze Audio Interfaces
Old 4th September 2011
  #31
Gear Addict
 
Michael T's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameal View Post
this also doesn't make any sense from a frequency stand point.
Actually it does. Digital has a way more broader frequency response than analog which ultimately make you have to filter/hipass/lowpass instuments more to achieve that clarity. Also, boosting with digital eq's and compressing with digital compression just doesn't sound good at all. When tracking analog sounds through digital, you can instantly hear the loss of warmth and punch, hence all this tube/tape saturation plugin frenzy propaganda we have today. If an album was mixed strictly digital, no hardware, the sound wouldn't be great. Acceptable but no great. There are hordes of engineers in the game that don't have great ears due to the affordability of software. The greats still rely heavily on hardware as they know how awesome it sounds. Everybody with a computer and Reaper swears by the stars they're a mixing engineer. Boosting in analog is a joy and a severe pain in the ass in digital mixing as any experienced engineer with tell you. Analog recording and mixing puts the soundscape in a velvet blanket of musical goodness. Digital puts the soundscape in a glass jar. Recorded music was never meant to be in a glass jar just like hollywood movies were never meant to look like real life.
Old 4th September 2011
  #32
Lives for gear
 

I like velvet blankets, but i also enjoy a good glass jar. Analog is good, and digital is bad. But sometimes i like digital because you have to cut.
Digital good. Analog good. Preamps are cool. Sometimes they dont matter. Mics now, preamps later. Pizza now, pill later, skip a snack, pill now? Pill later?
I have heartburn in my head.
Old 4th September 2011
  #33
Lives for gear
 

BTW, what is a preamp again? Is that the velvet thingy?
Old 4th September 2011
  #34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael T View Post
Actually it does. Digital has a way more broader frequency response than analog which ultimately make you have to filter/hipass/lowpass instuments more to achieve that clarity. Also, boosting with digital eq's and compressing with digital compression just doesn't sound good at all. When tracking analog sounds through digital, you can instantly hear the loss of warmth and punch, hence all this tube/tape saturation plugin frenzy propaganda we have today. If an album was mixed strictly digital, no hardware, the sound wouldn't be great. Acceptable but no great. There are hordes of engineers in the game that don't have great ears due to the affordability of software. The greats still rely heavily on hardware as they know how awesome it sounds. Everybody with a computer and Reaper swears by the stars they're a mixing engineer. Boosting in analog is a joy and a severe pain in the ass in digital mixing as any experienced engineer with tell you. Analog recording and mixing puts the soundscape in a velvet blanket of musical goodness. Digital puts the soundscape in a glass jar. Recorded music was never meant to be in a glass jar just like hollywood movies were never meant to look like real life.
well i own a computer, and reaper and i don't call myself a mix engineer, so you may have a point with that.

however, respectfully I'm going to have to disagree with some of your post. I'm no fanboy either, i use both for what i do. I'm neither for or against either side of the analog/digital argument, i like both realms for different reasons.

but i will venture to ask if you have any proof via soundclips or research that you could provide us to sway our opinions.
Old 4th September 2011
  #35
Gear Guru
 
Karloff70's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaSmile View Post
for the record...I am getting the most vintage sounding drums (which I like) from using a non boutique. open fast reasonably priced pre that isn't a chandler, neve, API or DW fearn...it isn;t the pre that's doing it...it's because I'm using 16 of the same pre to record beds off the floor.

Just sayin
So Lisa, spit it out, are they DAV's, or what are they.....? heh

Other than that I thought Tone Laborer closed the thread......in style.
Old 4th September 2011
  #36
Gear Addict
 
Michael T's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameal View Post
well i own a computer, and reaper and i don't call myself a mix engineer, so you may have a point with that.

however, respectfully I'm going to have to disagree with some of your post. I'm no fanboy either, i use both for what i do. I'm neither for or against either side of the analog/digital argument, i like both realms for different reasons.

but i will venture to ask if you have any proof via soundclips or research that you could provide us to sway our opinions.
There are hordes of soundclips already available on Gearslutz, just do a search for them. It's sort of like HD TV. I don't need to see the pimples on your skin or the broccoli between your teeth to enjoy the programs. Actually, by me seeing it, I actually don't want to look at it. The same with digital mixing. One things for sure Sameal, I never heard of "any" engineer saying "Listen to this, I just mixed an album all digitally that surpassed anything analog mixing had achieved".....heh If our ears don't tell us, then the tell tale sign of the inferiorness of digital mixing/recording is how every "plugin" wants to "emulate" analogueness.
Old 4th September 2011
  #37
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sage691 View Post
Considering that 99.9% of peeps these days are tracking digital and then mixing ITB with plugins for all the processing, I would say that different coloured preamps are HUGELY important.

And that's just to arrive at something that, in the end, sounds modestly decent (IOW, not utterly wretched) and nowhere even close to great.

Conversely, for at least some of us who track and mix to tape, there's no need to have more than merely enough channels of reasonably accurate preamplification to complement well chosen mikes and good sound at the mike to get our stuff done.

Sound I got, I need 30 to 60 dB of gain, proper loading and reasonable noise performance and frequency response at high gain from the preamp.

Cheers,

Otto
Old 4th September 2011
  #38
Gear Guru
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ofajen View Post
...enough channels of reasonably accurate preamplification ...
Sure, but I have a suspicion that the 'reasonably accurate' preamps you are referring to are the very brands, models and price ranges that the "Pshaw" crowd means when they say they don't need "fancy" preamps in their bedroom studios.
Old 5th September 2011
  #39
Lives for gear
 
vincentvangogo's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameal View Post
...but i will venture to ask if you have any proof via soundclips or research that you could provide us to sway our opinions.
I never really get analogue v digital shootouts conducted on the web as the analogue still ends up digital by virtue of it being turned into a soundfile. You need to hear the analogue version off tape or a record for a true comparison.
Old 5th September 2011
  #40
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincentvangogo View Post
I never really get analogue v digital shootouts conducted on the web as the analogue still ends up digital by virtue of it being turned into a soundfile. You need to hear the analogue version off tape or a record for a true comparison.
that's where the "or research" comes in. but I'm wasting my breath on this argument and derailing the thread at the same time, so i just left it to be what it is.

the analog vs. digital debate is a dead horse that never solves anything.

i will however say, if what your recording ends up digital anyway in the customers hand, which it usually does lately, whats the difference between that and an online shoot out.
Old 5th September 2011
  #41
Gear Nut
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd View Post
I like velvet blankets, but i also enjoy a good glass jar. Analog is good, and digital is bad. But sometimes i like digital because you have to cut.
Digital good. Analog good. Preamps are cool. Sometimes they dont matter. Mics now, preamps later. Pizza now, pill later, skip a snack, pill now? Pill later?
I have heartburn in my head.
I like socks, but parakeets are more important. It really bothers me that people spend too much time putting their socks on. Stop thinking about socks, I don't want you to picture a sock in your mind. Instead spend more time dealing with parakeets. Buy them and draw pictures of them. Make sure you spend more money on parakeets than you do on socks, so the world can be a proper place.
Old 5th September 2011
  #42
Lives for gear
 
Ernest Buckley's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincentvangogo View Post
I never really get analogue v digital shootouts conducted on the web as the analogue still ends up digital by virtue of it being turned into a soundfile. You need to hear the analogue version off tape or a record for a true comparison.
Most shoot outs are nonsense. The person(s) doing a shoot out are working in their own environment which obviously varies very differently from yours or mine. Suddenly, you`re depending on them to tell you what is best? It makes no sense.

I think its a good idea to come to forums and shoot around ideas. Lets say for example that you`re in need of a convertor for strictly classical music. You come to GS and ask for opinions of things to consider. That person should also visit other sites and ask for more opinions. But to come on to any site and ask for a definitive answer is silly and impossible.

Then of course, even if all factors being equal: room, monitors, source... audio is a very personal thing. One calls distortion "warm and fuzzy", and yet to another, its garbage/crap. Thats the reality so... use your ears.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump