The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Recommend digital desk with these features? Mixers (Analog)
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear

Recommend digital desk with these features?

Hi,

I'm condisering picking up a digital desk for gigs as I would really like to have a parametric eq, compressor and gate on every channel. At the moment I'm using 5 xlr channels but will need 8-10. I would also like to be able to send 4 monitor mixes aswell.
The Behringer DDX3216 is the only one I've been able to find that does this within my budget but have read about loads of issues and nightmares with this desk!! I'm wondering if there are any others out there under say £500 new or secondhand?
If not, what is the cheapest I would have to pay for a digital desk with this spec?

At the moment I've been using a Yamaha MG166CX which is ok but it only has two auxs for monitor mixes! I've got a Behringer Multigate which I use with it but don't have a decent multi channel parametric eq.
If the Yamaha MG166CX was capable of one more monitor mix I could get away with that but sadly it doesn't :(

Any suggestions??
Old 3rd September 2011
Gear Addict

I suggest you look for an earlier version of Yamaha's 01V - not the newer 01V96, but the model from some years back. Great live mixer (I've used one myself for some years now) & probably can be found for your budget. As it happens, there's one on UK eBay at the moment for 350 quid with 3 hours to go...

Good luck, Mike
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeah, right... View Post
I suggest you look for an earlier version of Yamaha's 01V - not the newer 01V96, but the model from some years back. Great live mixer (I've used one myself for some years now) & probably can be found for your budget. As it happens, there's one on UK eBay at the moment for 350 quid with 3 hours to go...

Good luck, Mike
Thanks for the reply. I wouldn't be able to do 3-4 monitor mixes with this though?
Old 3rd September 2011
Gear Addict

You're right. Sorry...
Old 3rd September 2011
Gear Addict

Hang on a second - you CAN have 4 monitor mixes with the 01V...
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeah, right... View Post
Hang on a second - you CAN have 4 monitor mixes with the 01V...
Can I also have EQ, Compressor and Gate on every channel?

If I can have seperate EQ, Compressor, noise gates on every channel + a couple of reverbs then I would be tempted with the 01V.

Any ideas how the audio quality sounds compared to my current Yamaha MG166CX?

The 01V has compressor, gate, expander, auto-ducker, or hard and soft compander but can I only choose one of these per channel?
I would ideally like to use both a compressor and noise gate on each channel at least.
Old 3rd September 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickiefunk View Post
Can I also have EQ, Compressor and Gate on every channel?

If I can have seperate EQ, Compressor, noise gates on every channel + a couple of reverbs then I would be tempted with the 01V.

Any ideas how the audio quality sounds compared to my current Yamaha MG166CX?

The 01V has compressor, gate, expander, auto-ducker, or hard and soft compander but can I only choose one of these per channel?
I would ideally like to use both a compressor and noise gate on each channel at least.
Best option is to download the manual HERE.

Sorry, I've no experience with the MG series so can't compare them.

As for sound quality, IMO it's a good sounding live mixer - pre's are good, eq's effective, effects great. I don't use it a lot these days as most venues I play have good house systems. I'm told the newer 01V96 sounds better, but then you're gonna pay a lot more for it.

For acoustic gigs I only use the mixer, but when I use it with my band, we use outboard graphic EQ's for the monitor sends and with the main outs - the onboard EQ's are not precise enough, particularly for feedback control in the monitors. Then again, this is the case with any mixer...

This was the first digital mixer my sound man had used, and it took him a couple of hours to get a handle on it. Once he'd done that, he was cool.

I've had mine fitted to a custom rack case - recommended if you're travelling a lot with it. In the 10 years I've owned it, it's been 100% reliable.

Again, good luck
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quick update. I bought an 01v for £300 including analog expansion card and manual. Seems like a pretty good price?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search