The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Clean headphones but not to pricey Studio Headphones
Old 3rd September 2011
Gear Head

Clean headphones but not to pricey

i'm looking for a decent pair of cans to use when i dont feel like or cant use my monitors.
not trying to have a final mix through headphone but wanna be able to get a good sound on them and finish the mix on the monitors.

budget is $250-300

currently have my eyes on:
Sony MDR-7509HD
Beyerdynamic DT 770 PRO
Beyerdynamic DT 880 Pro
Audio-Technica ATH-M50S
Studio Beats by Dre

what else.... i care about quality of the sound and being able to translate
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear

Akg240s been good for me, you can spend more but they are close to the point of diminishing returns

If you are spending 300+ on cans, consider spending a bit more for non pareil performance

Sent from my PG06100 using Gearslutz.com App
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear
I've become a big fan of AT cans.

I haven't tried the Dr. Dre, but I'm guessing they are bass heavy for mix use.

I find the Son'y too brifgt to mix on. A friend uses the Beyer 770....loves them.
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear

I had a quick listen to Shure 840s and the new-ish Sennheiser 380s recently. Liked the Shure sound but felt the headband was a bit uncomfortable. The Sennheisers while nowhere near the top of their line were very easy to take as an overall package
The M50s I have, have always been too big in the bass with a mid that doesn't tell me what I need; others strongly disagree with that POV so you really need to audition.
Cheers, Ross
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear

ATH-M50's or the DT-770s. Love em both but the Beyers are comfy!
Old 3rd September 2011
Gear Nut

Audio-Technica ATH-M50S

Good cans.
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear

I just recently bought a pair of Sennheiser HD 650 headphones, and I am very impressed with how much better they sound than the HD 280s I use for tracking. Pair these up with something like an SPL Phonitor or 2Control, and you've narrowed the gap between headphones and real monitors considerably.

These will stretch the upper limit of your budget by about $40, but I think they are really worth the money.
Old 3rd September 2011
Gear Head

ive heard nothing but good reviews regarding the at m50s's... so this review kinda shocks me ross but well taken...

will look at the hd650s in a moment

i know 770's or 880s will get the job done...
as for 240s, i have old 240m's.. are the s's any better?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search