The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Analog mixer mackie 1604 vlz to mbox pro 3 Audio Interfaces
Old 3rd September 2011
Here for the gear

Analog mixer mackie 1604 vlz to mbox pro 3

I'm trying to find out what people think about using the pre amps on the mackie 1604 to mbox pro 3. Would this defeat the higher end pres on my mbox pro because the 1604 pres are not as clean Just wondering. I wanted to get an analog mixing console to go to my mbox that has a similar routing matrix as large format consoles with tones of inputs and output options. Any thoughts on the matter. I'm about to purchase one
Old 3rd September 2011
Gear Addict
I have no personal experience with the MBox3, but i've used a 1604-VLZ3
at our band's rehearsals. I don't think the pres on the MBox3Pro is that
much better than those on the VLZ3.

It's really great to have a console when mixing/recording and the VLZ3 is
a good mixer for it's prize IMO. Have you checked out other mixers?

- A&H
- Soundcraft
- Mackie's Onyx series (with Firewire interface)

Have you thought about how you are going to connect it to the mBox3?
Old 3rd September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterCrab View Post
I have no personal experience with the MBox3, but i've used a 1604-VLZ3
at our band's rehearsals. I don't think the pres on the MBox3Pro is that
much better than those on the VLZ3.
How can you have an opinion on the mbox3 pres compared to the mackie, if you've never used one of them?!
Old 3rd September 2011
Here for the gear

I use a mbox3 in my project studio i love the soft clip limiters on the pres and I think the pres are much cleaner then my mbox2. I plan to use my mbox2 for stereo recording and my mbox3pro for larger sessions. I won't need any more inputs then 8 so it will do the job. I have used the 1604 in school plenty of Times. I love the routing and it gives me the eight in and eight out I need. I doesnt have the greatest options with the eqs but it has aux with pre and post fader. Insert sends. Buss routing. And it's affordable. I have used a ssl duality can't afford that board. Used a toft board can't use that to much. I've used sound craft but I thought those were for live shows. Ive used a dmx. I've used a tl audio and also a c24. To me it's all about what I can afford and what I can use it for. It's very easy to spend a lot money on a board. But then there's out board gear that is expensive. Mics and mic cables. Mic stands. Sound profing. Iso booths. Money. Money. I'm a struggling musician/engineer coming across money and a lot of it is hard these days. Don't mean to offend any one on this topic. I know neither of these pieces of gear i own are comparable to an of the pro board I listed. I'm trying to teach my ears and I have a hard time hearing a difference between pre amps.
Old 3rd September 2011
Here for the gear

Yes I have thought about how I'm going to connect it. The mbox3 has only four mic pres so if I get into a jam then I can use the busses. But I would connect my mbox To the mackie with four Xlr cables for the the first four inputs. Also I would use RCA cables with quarter inch trs for tracks 5/6. Then I would need to buy a spdf converter to use channels 7/8. This is how i would route the signal to my mbox.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search