The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Recording with an amp isolation cabinet Dynamic Microphones
Old 3rd September 2011
Here for the gear

Recording with an amp isolation cabinet

Hey guys,

I'm looking into a guitar isolation cabinet.
So far I found the Jet City Jetstream ISO cabinet and I will test it out tomorrow at the store. This way I can record the guitars loudly without bothering the neighbours. The nice thing about this is that you can place a microphone in it as well.

My question is:
What sort of mics work really well for (guitar) amp recording?
Would you chose dynamic or condenser mics?
The style of the music being recorded is blues/folk.
The pricerange for the mic can be 200 USD max.
Old 3rd September 2011
Gear Nut

Just listen carefully to be sure you aren't hearing the "box" in the mic. If you close mic with a simple SM57 than it should be fine, but if it has any "space" inside and you use a LDC you might hear the box itself and it is not a pleasant sound.
Old 3rd September 2011
Here for the gear

Thats a very good tip!
I will test it out with the SM57 tomorrow!
Thanks a lot
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear

Hi Matla2007...I just went through a purchase of an iso cab...not the Jet City, but I was lucky to find an amazingly well-built iso cab which was made by a guy here in LA named Joseph Armillas...and Ill get back to that in a minute and post photos of it...

but first,..have you checked any of the demos of iso cabs on youtube? There are a couple of the Jet City, and also the Randall...here is a great demo that a guy did on the Randall:

Getting back to the one that I bought... Ive been using an SM 57 on it and it really does sound very good and consistent. There is some room in the cab to move the mic around which also helps to get different sounds via placement. The deadening factor is amazing, probably 90% of the sounds are deadened and I can play full out at 2AM and not disturb anyone which is great. So here are a couple of photos of possible mic placement...which may be helpful to you for comparison sake. The Randall is very similar to this one. Mine has an 8" speaker, and the Randall has a 12".

Im no expert on iso cabs, however I believe that the more space and 'air' in the cab both above and below the speaker, allow for it to breath and be less boxy... it would be worth noting if the Jet City is very boxy sounding during your demo...please post back and let us know how you like it.
Attached Thumbnails
Recording with an amp isolation cabinet-img_2770.jpg   Recording with an amp isolation cabinet-img_2771.jpg  
Old 3rd September 2011
Gear Maniac

The sennheiser e906 is agrat mic, you wont be disapointed in any way, you can fin them cheap in ebay.
Attached Thumbnails
Recording with an amp isolation cabinet-906.jpg  
Old 4th September 2011
bee
Lives for gear

Has anyone tried the Rivera Silent Sister? Rivera: The Definition of Tone

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search