The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Help connecting my new setup Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 2nd September 2011
Gear Head

Help connecting my new setup

Hey guys, i am very happy because i just started recording drums in my studio.So i bought the Presonus ACP88 for the gate but i am confused about the inserts stuff.
I am connecting the Kick,and toms into my Focusrite ISA 428 and then into my Motu 828 BUT i was wanting to connect the XLR inputs into the 428 and then using the insert send to the input of the ACP88 and then from the output of the ACP88 to the insert return on the 428,the ACP88 was receiving signal but the signal wasn't affected for the compressor and gate.

And then i connected the OUTPUT of the 428 into the input of the ACP88 and from the output of the ACP88 to the MOTU.Is that the tight way or i will have color from the ACP88 (which i want to avoid)?

Any other suggestions about how to connect the setup?

Thanks in advance!
Old 2nd September 2011
Gear Addict

Mic to 428 pres, 428 insert send to the gate and back to the 428 send return, adat from 428 to the motu unit.
Old 2nd September 2011
Gear Head

I am using the analog outputs on the 428 because i don't have the digital convertor on it.I connected like U said XLR Mic/428/Insert send/ACP88 input/ACP88 output/Insert return.But no compression.
Old 3rd September 2011
Gear Addict

Make sure you are not connecting to any of the sidechain ports, just the input and output on the bottom of each channel. It should work, if not I have no idea.
Old 3rd September 2011
Gear Addict

Oh, and no need to use the sends on the 428 if your not using converters on it.

Mic,428 pres, 428 analog out, presonus input, personus output, motu pres at zero gain.
Old 3rd September 2011
Gear Head

Got it,i al not using The motu pres,Just the inputs on the back,but is the sound quality affected mote than the comp/gate function connecting the output of the ISA 428 on the input of the ACP and then going back to the 828?
Old 3rd September 2011
Gear Addict

I didn't look at the motu unit before, but it looks like you should connect it to the back inputs. Doesn't look like it has pres, I could be wrong. Yes you can send it back out to the comp/gate but it depends on how good your ad/da vs the risk of not having a dry recording of the signal. Play a familiar piece of music on your pc/mac and send out the motu unit and back in again to determine if the ad/da is a problem. You have a lot of expensive gear considering you have no idea what you are doing. Good luck
Old 3rd September 2011
Gear Head

I know what I am doing.... I just wasn't sure that the inserts did not work with the 428 analogue outputs. However, if ur jelous I am apologize, I just have the $ to buy the gear.
Old 3rd September 2011
Gear Head

Oh,and I also have an Avalon vt737sp and some great mica

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search