The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Tips for getting this acoustic sound? Plugin Bundles
Old 2nd September 2011
Gear Head

Tips for getting this acoustic sound?

I LOVE this acoustic sound. Mainly that it DRIVES, It's NOT a wussy acoustic. I know that the acoustic itself makes a difference but wanted to see if there were any plugins that might help. My first thought was a Waves OneKnob Driver.

I have the Waves Mercury plugin bundle so there's gotta be something in there to help.

Tyler Ward - Somewhere With You (Acoustic) - YouTube
Old 2nd September 2011
Lives for gear

Its all about the Player, and the guitar. Followed by the mic, and the room.
Plugins dont do **** unless you have a good source.

Put your Waves bundle away, and learn to really play and listen. The guy in the video
is doing alot of palm muting to get that percussive sound. Go learn how to do that, or
hire somebody who can do that. Its that simple. You can get that sound through any decent
mic and preamp, and you dont need a Waves bundle either.

Stop trying to think of ways to "Fix **** with plugins" before you even record anything.
You will chase your tail till the end of time.
Old 2nd September 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd View Post
Its all about the Player, and the guitar. Followed by the mic, and the room.
Plugins dont do **** unless you have a good source.

Put your Waves bundle away, and learn to really play and listen. The guy in the video
is doing alot of palm muting to get that percussive sound. Go learn how to do that, or
hire somebody who can do that. Its that simple. You can get that sound through any decent
mic and preamp, and you dont need a Waves bundle either.

Stop trying to think of ways to "Fix **** with plugins" before you even record anything.
You will chase your tail till the end of time.
They should have a whole section of gearslutz dedicated to questions with this as the answer.
Old 2nd September 2011
Lives for gear

acoustic is one of the hardest things to record imo.
good acoustic in good room w/ good mics.
plugs are not gonna help.

worth noting he has his own studio:
Tyler Ward Studios | Tyler Ward
Old 3rd September 2011
Here for the gear

I am not sure what your acoustic sounds like the way you have been recording it but first mark where you place your chair that you are sitting on so you get the same placement in the room and then try a few different mics recording the same pass and see how close you get to the sound you want that way. With acoustic guitars its all about mic placement and how well you play and control the dynamics. Also try a few different size picks and a few made of different material. I would start there before I opened up anything in the mercury bundle. If I were to use any plug in while tracking it would prob just be the SSL eq(I like the roll off on them) and roll off a bit of the low end. Oh and try different types of strings.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search