The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Making a custom Kick Drum for Recording......
Old 2nd September 2011
Gear Head

Making a custom Kick Drum for Recording......

I'm partial to a 24" Yamaha Recording Custom Kick that we used to record.
Since I have a friend that makes awesome drums, I'm going to have him make me a kick drum for our studio.
The styles it will be used for is basically jazz fusion/steely dan/funk/classic rock. Nothing too heavy in the rock department, nothing too straight ahead in the jazz department. The other instrumentation is generally vintage tubes and vintage tones.

Recommendations-
1. Type of wood
2. Type of finish- inside/outside
3. Type of hardware- (i refuse to put tom-mounting hardware on it :o)
4. Type of hoops
5. Whatever else I'm forgetting to think about.......

Thanks in advance.
Jay
Old 2nd September 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by wordmanjay View Post
I'm partial to a 24" Yamaha Recording Custom Kick that we used to record.
Since I have a friend that makes awesome drums, I'm going to have him make me a kick drum for our studio.
The styles it will be used for is basically jazz fusion/steely dan/funk/classic rock. Nothing too heavy in the rock department, nothing too straight ahead in the jazz department. The other instrumentation is generally vintage tubes and vintage tones.

Recommendations-
1. Type of wood
2. Type of finish- inside/outside
3. Type of hardware- (i refuse to put tom-mounting hardware on it :o)
4. Type of hoops
5. Whatever else I'm forgetting to think about.......

Thanks in advance.
Jay
And 18"-20" drum would work great. And other than the wood choice, the finish & hardware are pretty much purely aesthetic options. So pick what you like. Regarding wood choice, maple or birch would be fine. Maple will be warmer, birch will be brighter. Your main focus should be the size of the drum & the tuning.
Old 2nd September 2011
Lives for gear

for the styles you mentioned i'm kind of suprised at you wanting a 24". I would think a 20" would be more appropriate for all that.hard to go wrong with maple
Old 2nd September 2011
Gear Head

cosmiccircle.net

I guess I could just direct you to the website to assess the style of the music!
cosmiccircle.net
Old 2nd September 2011
Gear Head

Wood Choice

I read somewhere that the yamaha recording customs are finished on inside and outside to promote the more up/down projection of the drum- horsepucky?
Just bouncin' stuff out there.
Lemme know.
Thanks.
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear
Many drums are finished inside. My Gretsch have what they call "silver sealer" inside. Older Rodgers and some Ludwigs have a Zolotone like paint inside.

If you make the inside finish too hard and smooth it will create a sewer pipe like ing sound. Some texture is good. In a kick drum it's good to have some small bit of absorbancy in there to kill those high frequency internal reflections. Bob Gatzen recommends a small pillow in the bottom not necessarily touching the heads. I have one of the Evans pads sitting in the bottom of my 22x18 for that reason. The heads are left alone as they have damping rings on them already.

There is a shift nowadays to shallower kick drums. Folks believe that they "speak" quicker. In recording, you're often pointing a mic at the batter head anyway and the resonance of the drum is the sustain. So for my money, I still have a deep drum. Mic'd I get the attack as fast as anything else, and unmiced in a small venue it carries better.
Old 3rd September 2011
Gear Nut

As far as size, I would suggest 20" is probably the best for the genres you described. And about 18" depth would probably be a good middle ground. A lot of companies are pushing 20x20 kicks these days and I think that much depth is just overkill.
Old 3rd September 2011
Gear Addict

I've got a 20x22 that sounds fantastic, but can be really overbearing, especially on drummers with a heavy foot.
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear

Just don't go to deep. Kicks don't sound as good over 16" deep. I actually usually like 14" deep.

Mahogany records really well!
Old 3rd September 2011
Gear Head

Clarification:
The kick drum used on the recording at cosmiccircle.net was an Orange County Percussion 22X20 kick.
I love the way it sounds live. And I think it sounds great on the recordings.
It has the kick tone I prefer- which is a round attack, low round tone, with a short sustain- sorry if I'm not using the right terminology.
For the recording, the engineers lowered the tuning as low as it would go-I'm not an expert in this area btw- they said they couldn't get it quite as low of a tone as they would have liked- I think they said it's easier to mix starting out with a lower kick tone? This prompted the idea of a 24" kick.
My other experience was with the 24 X 14 Yamaha Recording Custom I mentioned earlier- it doesn't sound as nice live standing in front of it, but definitely records all the tones needed to get my preferred sound to the mix.

I'm hoping this kick I'm going to have made lasts for years and gives me the sound I've described above. Still bouncing stuff around.
Your feedback is helping.
Please continue.
Thanks in advance.
Jay
Old 3rd September 2011
SRS
Lives for gear

I have to agree with the others on this one. For jazz/fusion type music, the 20 inch would be the more accepted size acoustically. Whether live or studio. You can get a really big sound from a 20 inch kick. I have a 20x20 ("square size") OCDP kick made from a 6 ply maple Keller shell. It was made by John Machado back in 1990, before the company became really known. It has an outstanding voice, both live and in the studio.

The finish DOES make a sonic difference, both inside and outside. This drum has a satin finish and is basically raw maple with a bit of protection. It has Tama Accutune synthetic hoops and Tama lugs.

I also have a 24 inch birch DW kick. Very different sounds between the two drums.

SRS
Old 3rd September 2011
Gear Maniac

I`m a drummer

Mahogany or Maple 18-20", and deep. Mahogany gives you the tone of yester years. Maple is more versatile.
Old 4th September 2011
Lives for gear

For versatility, you probably should stay away from a 24". 22" max but probably a 20" would suit more styles. Not too deep. I am surprised that mo one has mentioned bearing edges either. For versatility it is is probably better to go with a modern type pretty sharp and even 60/40 or 45/45. A rounded edge will give you more of that vintage tone. You can still make modern edges sound s little vintage with the right heads. Maple is probably the most versatile of the timber choices as well.

Bottom line is get aigret sounding, versatile drum and keep stacks of different heads around to change up the tone.

www.aisle6productions.com.au
[email protected]
Old 4th September 2011
SRS
Lives for gear

Bearing edges are very important. Not as much on a kick drum as a snare or toms, but still make a difference. Most modern kick sounds are pretty deadened, so bearing edges are not as crucial. Hell, you could actually put a head on a square cut edge of a kick drum and get by fine, so long as it was flat and cut symmetrically.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search