The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
3 month block rate Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 2nd September 2011
Gear Maniac

3 month block rate

An "artist" approached who wants to block out my studio for at least 3 months. He has already made an album with a Sony-signed musician and is looking to get signed by Sony.

I've never had this kind of client before nor has anyone approached me for such a long-term block out.

I'm sorry if this is a "what do you charge" posting, but I would appreciate a referential basis to give him a quote.
Old 2nd September 2011
Lives for gear

When doing block rates, I normally try and set a time frame. Just so they do not expect you to work 24/7.

Most people like to take a day off per week, so let's say Monday-Saturday from 10:00am till 10:00pm with standard meal and bathroom breaks.

once you lay down the ground rules, (with some expectation of going over if the magic is happening) then I would offer a 10% discount.

unless you can typically fill up every day of 3 months straight, then I would charge the standard day rate.

due to this large amount of time, it might be best to set some goals as wells.

such as by this date, we will have all the drums done, by this date will have all the vocals tracked, we will start mixing on this date...of course non of this is set in stone.
Old 2nd September 2011
Gear Head
Look at your existing rates, and calculate what it would cost for 3 months. Then, look at what you'd need for a break-even. Then go somewhere in between.
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear

Also, consider the cost of being off the market for 3 months. You'll have to say "No" to potential new clients, and you'll have to wave off your regulars.
Old 3rd September 2011
Gear Maniac

id take my average 3 month takings, and add on 10-20%.
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear

also consider what happens if they drop out a week in?

and you've turned down work.

do you know them?

do you trust them?

do you have a contract in place?
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4 the Max View Post
An "artist" approached who wants to block out my studio for at least 3 months. He has already made an album with a Sony-signed musician and is looking to get signed by Sony.

I've never had this kind of client before nor has anyone approached me for such a long-term block out.

I'm sorry if this is a "what do you charge" posting, but I would appreciate a referential basis to give him a quote.
take your bulk rates
you do give quantity discounts for days/weeks/monthly dont you ?
then give him a discount of say another 10% off your biggest block rate
(I hope you are not charging so low that you cant do this!)

GET EVERYTHIGN IN WRITING
AND CASH UP FRONT
Everything means everything !!
spell out the rules and terms completely.

if he wants to go over the big block of time he paid for up front then
he reverts to normal hour/day/week rates
with cash in advance

tell anyone else
(should you be one of the lucky ones to have someone else)
that the studio is booked through ddmmyy and they can make a reservation for time at ddmmyy with a 50% down payment now. else take your chances when you ask again.
Top Mentioned Products
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search