The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
SM57 Mod in the new TapeOP
Old 24th March 2006
Lives for gear

SM57 Mod in the new TapeOP

anyone tried this?

basically you take it apart, boil the half of the mic with the tranny in it (to loosen the glue that holds it in), remove the tranny and rewire.

result has more low end, though 10dB less output. (hey, free pad!)

i'd like to hear some other opinions of this mod before i butcher one of me 57's
Old 24th March 2006
Here for the gear

april edition per chance?
Old 25th March 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fifth Flaw
yes, just came in today.
Mar/Apr 2006 Edition.

interesting review of the API 2500 comp in there too.
Old 25th March 2006
Lives for gear

I saw it, thought about the 58 I have for sale right now and then realized the other places I could get a better return on my time. Looks cool though, actually sounds as if it made it a better mic.

Tape Op rules. I read my first one when it was almost xeroxed and a strange size. They were way into Radio Shack PZMs (or so I thought--of course I started asking about dead stock at every RS I went into). Somehow they've managed to keep that home grown feel even though they're now talking about $4K mics. An inspiration.
Old 25th March 2006
Gear Head

a guy on harmony central did it. it sounds much bassier.
http://acapella.harmony-central.com/...readid=1199630
Old 25th March 2006
Here for the gear

Why not just get Audix i-5?
Old 25th March 2006
Jai guru deva om

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven
Why not just get Audix i-5?

The i5 will still walk the dog on the 57 across other parts of the frequency spectrum as well.

A buddy of mine however did remove the transformers from his 57's and liked the result.

War
Old 25th March 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fifth Flaw
That's what I was thinking!
Old 25th March 2006
That trick is older than dirt. It was done in the 70's. Use good wire, I use military surplus silver teflon wire.

Audio is like fashion, everything comes around again.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Old 25th March 2006
Lives for gear

i did it- took about 15 minutes. indeed, more bottom end, and a more even freq. response in general. seems like it would work better in some situations, whenever you didn't want the usual extreme amount of nasal tone.
57s are tough with a digital medium. much better with tape.
so if you've got a few lying around, it's certainly worth it.
david lawrence
Old 31st March 2006
Lives for gear

anyone else done it?
Old 31st March 2006
Gear Guru

I think I'm gonna try it. maybe then I'll find the 57 useful...
Old 31st March 2006
Lives for gear

Yea screw it....lets check it out!
Old 31st March 2006
Lives for gear

I plan on trying it out this weekend. I've got 8 sm57's that just sit in there pouch waiting to be usefull on something. Maybe this will be the ticket heh

ERic
Old 31st March 2006
Here's another monkey wrench for ya, the current crop of Mexican 57's sound nothing like the classic American made Unidyne III models. Those older ones, if you can find a clean one, have much better top end clarity than the Mexican 57's.
The Mexican models sound nasel next to a clean Unidyne III model.

Question is: do you want to change a classic mic that's no longer made?

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Old 31st March 2006
500 series nutjob

Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead

The i5 will still walk the dog on the 57 across other parts of the frequency spectrum as well.

A buddy of mine however did remove the transformers from his 57's and liked the result.

War
i have been really liking the Audix om-2
Old 31st March 2006
Well thats exactly what I did, I had an old dead 545 (I have 8 all together) I prefer them to the 57.

I took the tranny out of the dead one and soldered in solid core wire. Initial run through; it is way more bassy, similar to my rca ribbon.

I am considering putting my old tranny into the newer 57 I have

I am planning on cutting some samples and posting them compared to the original 545 and a 57

I'm thinking

snare
guitar
vox
and a kick just for well....kicks

suggestions?

edit; as a tribute to War (and so I could tell which mic was which) I painted it blue heh
Old 31st March 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams
Here's another monkey wrench for ya, the current crop of Mexican 57's sound nothing like the classic American made Unidyne III models. Those older ones, if you can find a clean one, have much better top end clarity than the Mexican 57's.
This has been my experience as well. The newer models are different sounding indeed.

Brad
Old 31st March 2006
Lives for gear

Does it work on a 58? I have a 58 that something in it was killed by a water leak and a mixture with phantom power. Removing some parts like this does,... might make it work again?
Old 31st March 2006
I'd like to hear it with the Lundahl output. But I definitely wouldn't want to have an SM57 padded 10db, it's already low enough.
Old 31st March 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tibbon
Does it work on a 58? I have a 58 that something in it was killed by a water leak and a mixture with phantom power. Removing some parts like this does,... might make it work again?
yes, provided the capsule itself still works
Old 5th April 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanEldred
I'd like to hear it with the Lundahl output. But I definitely wouldn't want to have an SM57 padded 10db, it's already low enough.
Probably wouldn't work correctly. The 57's coil is 12 ohms impedance. Not 150 ohms.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Old 5th April 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamJay
boil the half of the mic with the tranny in it...remove the tranny and rewire...result has more low end, though 10dB less output...
LOL. Well, yes you can boil up your 57s.

Or on the other hand, you could just use a different mic that has more bass and a 10db pad to start with.
Old 5th April 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkSky
LOL. Well, yes you can boil up your 57s.

Or on the other hand, you could just use a different mic that has more bass and a 10db pad to start with.
i think you are missing the point.
Old 5th April 2006
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams

Question is: do you want to change a classic mic that's no longer made?

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
I've got 3 Unidynes I will definately NOT boil.

So is this the reason the new Mexican Shures suck, the transformers are not as good?
Old 5th April 2006
Jai guru deva om

Quote:
Originally Posted by everybody's x
edit; as a tribute to War (and so I could tell which mic was which) I painted it blue heh
Mustang blue?

War
Old 5th April 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by twotracker
I've got 3 Unidynes I will definately NOT boil.

So is this the reason the new Mexican Shures suck, the transformers are not as good?
No, it's the capsule. I asked a Shure engineer about it in 1990. He said the dies and stampers were old and sent to Mexico. Anyone who remembers doing records back in the 70's would know about worn stampers.

Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
Old 5th April 2006
Lives for gear

Call me crazee but,
I like that I know what to expect from a 57. If I need a mic quick during setup
I know what it'll do and how it will react. The last thing I'd want is to throw it up
and go - what the hell,where's all this low end coming from or why the heck is this signal so weak!?!.

I guess what I'm saying is, if I want a 57 I want it to be what it is because it's a solution I am familiar with and I can spend my thoughts on placement while eliminating an unknown variable. If I want something different, then I'll grab it. But I don't want to get fooled by some secret modded 57 during setup and get bit in the ass because of it.

So I'm calling on all modded 57's to come with huge labels. Stickers, color coded zip ties anything - but please mark those bastards.
Old 5th April 2006
Lives for gear

Or you could just use your ears, listen to what's coming through the monitors, and adjust from there.

Brad
Old 5th April 2006
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanEldred
Yeah, but then you could use it to mic up a nuclear explosion, wouldn't that be fun...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search