The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
SM7B..After almost 2 years still not impressed Condenser Microphones
Old 5th September 2011
  #91
Gear Guru
 

wow only 7,999 more posts and I get my Grammy!
Old 5th September 2011
  #92
Lives for gear
 
DaveUK's Avatar
Still love mine!
Post count bump
Old 5th September 2011
  #93
Lives for gear
 
302efi's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq View Post
wow only 7,999 more posts and I get my Grammy!

Yes that's the spirit !
Old 5th September 2011
  #94
Harmless Wacko
 

Man.

I am so f*cked on the Grammy thing.

I quit.

SM.
Old 5th September 2011
  #95
Lives for gear
 
DaveUK's Avatar
Going for 1 billion! Even if i have to become an ubertroll :+)

Sent from my X10i using Gearslutz.com App
Old 5th September 2011
  #96
Gear Guru
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveUK View Post
Still love mine!
Post count bump

you love your Grammy Award?
Old 5th September 2011
  #97
Lives for gear
 
doncaparker's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq View Post
wow only 7,999 more posts and I get my Grammy!
Just about peed myself when I saw this one. Well done.
Old 5th September 2011
  #98
Lives for gear
 
DaveUK's Avatar
Aah bollocks can't do it ! Only managed to post more drivel than usual in one loudness thread .

Sent from my X10i using Gearslutz.com App
Old 5th September 2011
  #99
Lives for gear
 
302efi's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq View Post
you love your Grammy Award?
DISCLAIMER:
20k posts inst a guarantee of an actual grammy, just "unknowns on Gear Slutz think your a grammy winning producer" status on Gear Slutz.

Sorry for the confusion !

Thanks
Old 5th September 2011
  #100
Lives for gear
 
recordinghopkins's Avatar
I just ordered a Cloudlifter. My console gain is at 3:00 with the 7b, I'm hoping for a cleaner sound with less console preamp gain.
Old 5th September 2011
  #101
Lives for gear
 
recordinghopkins's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipperman View Post
Man.

I am so f*cked on the Grammy thing.

I quit.

SM.

Old 5th September 2011
  #102
Lives for gear
 
DaveUK's Avatar
Fancy the triton fethead for mine .more bang for buck?

Sent from my X10i using Gearslutz.com App
Old 5th September 2011
  #103
Lives for gear
 
302efi's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sounds Great View Post
Post count? Grammy? I surely must have two of them by now. heh

Anyhow, you make some good points. No problem here.

Almost !?

No worries man
Old 5th September 2011
  #104
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solidtube View Post
Sometimes you don't want a vocal mic to sound big, you just want the vocal to sit right and cut through a busy mix without drowning all the other instruments, which I think the SM7B or SM57 are good at without much EQing. But for acoustic stuff, it's better to have a vocal mic that sounds big, like a tube mic.

I agree with this. Often when I hear the SM7, Incubus, Ray LaMontagne, I think to myself how wonderful the singer's voice must really sound in person (texture, reedy soul). The SM7 loses a lot of detail and low mids, but it creates an instrument out of the voice. While not to the extent that Dr. Luke or Max Martin go with manipulation, the SM7 does sort of a rock version of turning the voice into a lead instrument somewhere between a lead guitar and synth patch. It narrows the frequency range, rounds the signal off a little and the result is less voice detail but a musical character that is "instrument-like" and fits well with other instruments.

I also wonder how many producers and engineers use it just out of time constraints and ease. I'm glad I got to hear Kurt Cobain through a U67 and not one of those SM7s. It's a functional mic but I think it leaves a lot of content and character on the table.
Old 5th September 2011
  #105
Lives for gear
 
Jimbo's Avatar
I don't own an SM7b because I don't think I would like it.

I digs me the sound of Beyer mics, and have never been enamoured with Shure mics. Each brand has its own sound, and I guess the Shure sound just doesn't do it for me. EV RE series has its own sound too, and I like it in the right context.

I don't particularly like the vox on Thriller either.

Oh well...

M88 all day long!
Old 5th September 2011
  #106
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by yotonic View Post
the SM7 does sort of a rock version of turning the voice into a lead instrument somewhere between a lead guitar and synth patch. It narrows the frequency range, rounds the signal off a little and the result is less voice detail but a musical character that is "instrument-like" and fits well with other instruments.

A 57 does the same thing, and so does a 421 and a plethora of other dynamic mics.

Also, you can hi and lo pass a U67/U47/U87 to death and it will do the same thing, but still sound 1000X better than a sm7.

I think engineers just like to put up sm7s on screamers and/or peeps who like to hold a mic whilst singing, cause they don't want to take the risk of blowin out a $10,000 mic on a performer who might be drunk, doped out, or knows absolutely nothing about good mic technique on a great LDC.

Old 5th September 2011
  #107
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by sage691 View Post
A 57 does the same thing, and so does a 421 and a plethora of other dynamic mics.

Also, you can hi and lo pass a U67/U47/U87 to death and it will do the same thing, but still sound 1000X better than a sm7.

I think engineers just like to put up sm7s on screamers and/or peeps who like to hold a mic whilst singing, cause they don't want to take the risk of blowin out a $10,000 mic on a performer who might be drunk, doped out, or knows absolutely nothing about good mic technique on a great LDC.

You also just compared a $300 mic to a $3,000 mic.

Just saying...
Old 6th September 2011
  #108
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonDonsen View Post
To be honest, recently I heard Thriller for the first time in full quality on my AKG K271 headphones. I knew that it was recorded with an SM7. But the first thing that I thought was... "hey wait, everything sounds fine but the vocal sounds somehow cheap". I would describe it thin and midranged focused. Get a Neumann, you can't go wrong with these!
what the hell? really?

this record is like my sonic bible.....
Old 6th September 2011
  #109
So, 4 pages later....

This is still a really nice dynamic mic.

I knew it was used on "Thriller" for vox when I got it. That's not why I bought it.

It sounds sick on all drums i've ever tried it on, any amps, brass, winds, vocals..... I guess anything you'd ever use a dynamic mic on.

Seriously guys, if you bought it and are expecting sonic gold because it was used on "Thriller" for MJ's vocals, you are probably not very smart. MJ could have been singing into an MXL 990 and it would still sound sick cause he and is team were the bosses.

If you want a fat condenser mic, buy one. If you want a nice dynamic mic that doesn't cost much and reproduces what it gets with an accurate and punchy sound, get an sm7b.

Or don't, because you heard from a guy once on gearslutz that he thought the vocals on "Thriller" sounded cheap through AKG headphones. But its futile, dumb and a waste of your time and energy to compare proverbial apples and oranges.

Seriously, if you cannot get a useable sound with this mic, it's on YOU.
Old 6th September 2011
  #110
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sage691 View Post

Also, you can hi and lo pass a U67/U47/U87 to death and it will do the same thing, but still sound 1000X better than a sm7.

Not always. I have high end LDC's including one I bought from Slipperman.

Sometimes the SM7 fits perfectly and can be a better match than a higher end tube LDC's etc.

I personally like the sm7 on folk type singers especially when they are playing gtr at the same time and/or when others are playing in the same room at the same time. It seems to work well in that application for me.

Also, remember Ray Lamontagne's first 3 CDs a sm7 was used for his vox. Its not just sceamers and MJ thats used the sm7.

Just my opinion. Don't avoid the SM7 -----------its good and sometimes perfect for the job.
Old 6th September 2011
  #111
Gear Addict
 

plenty of folks are going with bob heil's mics these days over the old sm7 and re20
Old 6th September 2011
  #112
Lives for gear
 
302efi's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by king2070lplaya View Post
So, 4 pages later....

This is still a really nice dynamic mic.

I knew it was used on "Thriller" for vox when I got it. That's not why I bought it.

It sounds sick on all drums i've ever tried it on, any amps, brass, winds, vocals..... I guess anything you'd ever use a dynamic mic on.

Seriously guys, if you bought it and are expecting sonic gold because it was used on "Thriller" for MJ's vocals, you are probably not very smart. MJ could have been singing into an MXL 990 and it would still sound sick cause he and is team were the bosses.

If you want a fat condenser mic, buy one. If you want a nice dynamic mic that doesn't cost much and reproduces what it gets with an accurate and punchy sound, get an sm7b.

Or don't, because you heard from a guy once on gearslutz that he thought the vocals on "Thriller" sounded cheap through AKG headphones. But its futile, dumb and a waste of your time and energy to compare proverbial apples and oranges.

Seriously, if you cannot get a useable sound with this mic, it's on YOU.
Oh yeah I was totally expecting to produce a platinum record comparable to Thriller and thats what someone told me on here would happen if I bought the mic ... GTFOH

I was just referencing the MJ Thriller because everyone knows this album was recorded with and the vocals are spot on. Every source I put mine on sounds "grainy and midrangy", no matter what pre I used. Seriously, maybe I got a bad one or something because any of my 57's sounds worlds better then my SM7B.

See this is the typical GS bull**** with recommendations like this, follow me on this:

Longtime users and lots of post count guys recommend a certain product:
"SM7B is a fool proof mic, can't get a bad sound, MJ recorded Thriller with it !"

So the guys go out and buys the mic and it totally sucks, but the elite GS responses are the complete opposite of their original opinions:
"You can't get a MJ sound outta it, the mic anit right for everything as we first recommended"

Having one more mic in my locker is not that big a deal, but after all the hype I've ever heard about it I had to get one and try it, I think the mic SUX as some others do in this post.

So I don't agree with the majority of Elitists on here, who gives a ****
Old 6th September 2011
  #113
Lives for gear
 
recordinghopkins's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by 302efi View Post
DISCLAIMER:
20k posts inst a guarantee of an actual grammy, just "unknowns on Gear Slutz think your a grammy winning producer" status on Gear Slutz.

Sorry for the confusion !

Thanks
What are producers doing on a site dedicated to GEAR? heh

Sombody send the intern out to get the producer a bottle of nyquil. "Here ya go, drink this and pass out on the control room couch for a while, we'll revive you when the drummer finally understands what four on the floor means."
Old 6th September 2011
  #114
Lives for gear
 
camus's Avatar
 

It's ok if you don't like a microphone others like. That's allowed when making recordings. Never managed to get a 421 to sound any good on anything. That's my problem, not the mic's. Tim Buckley once sang into one and sounded awesome.
Old 6th September 2011
  #115
Lives for gear
It's a great mic in a dense rock mix and cuts through, noisy rooms and tracking with other instruments in the room. I did notice when using mine on say solo female vocals or when the track is really bare, that i'd rather use a condenser as it just doesn't work that well in that situation for me most times, but it's passable to some extent. A lot of the work though is in the mixing with the mic, also once you stack, pitch and especially eq.

You really have to get up on the mic and position it right. I like it to be right between the nose and mouth in the upper lip area with the talent up on it, but not too on it. Set it flat and take the foam off to get a more sheen kind of sound. The preamp and converter matter a lot as well. I love mine, but on something way less busy and bare might pick a U87 type mic especially for a female singer.
Old 6th September 2011
  #116
Gear Guru
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sounds Great View Post
I agree, had a 421 and it sounded just like it looked, boxy. Having had 441's and reading all the GS hype heh I thought it would sound great, didn't like it at all.
what a rip-off! heh

you and 302efi should both get your GS membership dues refunded
Old 6th September 2011
  #117
Lives for gear
 
suedesound's Avatar
 

421's seem to work well on toms, some kicks and some amps otherwise i wouldn't use them for anything else. d112's have a similar limited use for me. everyone's different, i think the sm7 is more versatile in this department but still not my favorite.
Old 6th September 2011
  #118
Lives for gear
 
302efi's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq View Post
what a rip-off! heh

you and 302efi should both get your GS membership dues refunded


On a more serious note, why is it this mic is so heavily praised on here ? We know how the flock strays on here:

Typical GS mentality:
-Avalon sucks
-ITB is garbage
-Neve is the greatest
-U87 is the best
-CL1B or no compression at all
ect....



Theres so many post and topics on this as I was a long time reader before I joined and posted.

Whos fault is this ?
Old 6th September 2011
  #119
Lives for gear
 
suedesound's Avatar
 

i don't think avalon sucks
i don't mind itb
i don't think neve is the greatest
the only u87's i liked using were some vintage ones i had access to
i've never used a cl1b

do i get banned now?
Old 6th September 2011
  #120
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump