The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
SM7B..After almost 2 years still not impressed Condenser Microphones
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear

To clarify a bit on my opinion stated earlier... IMO the SM7b is a great mic, and a very useful tool to have...it sounds great on vocals, but only if it is worked properly and the vocalist is aware of what the "sweet spot" is... off axis, or too much proximity and it loses its mojo pretty quickly... but the user has to be aware of that and experienced enough with the 7b to understand those qualities... and on top of that, off axis rejection or lack of a response can be a tremendous asset as well... but it can be "finicky" in terms of needs lots of gain, proper distance and angle etc to sound really spectacular.

of course it is not everyone's cup of tea and is not a magic bullet for sure, but has been a staple for many top performers, producers and engineers as a vocal mic, so it cant be all bad... and its not.
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear

i might be on my own here but i think the sm7 really sings when it is hooked up to a 1176, only tried with a vintech and a api pre. they both sounded good but the 1176 on the end is what takes it to another level for me..
Old 3rd September 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sounds Great View Post
In the old days, they grabbed the mics at hand, the pres' were in the board, a few compressors if they had them, and whatever, and concentrated on making the records.

Now they obsess for years on whether they got the right microphone, mic pres', hardware, software, fix it programs, soften it programs, louden it programs, tune it, dissect it, move stuff around, and, make records.

So is all that helping them make better records? Hmmm. .
Don't forget the oxygen free cables!
Old 3rd September 2011
Gear Addict

Sometimes it's the right mic for the source. It beat out a U87 across the board on a session I was involved in a while back; everyone preferred the SM7. Couple of loud raspy rock singers. Its more forward, aggressive midrange character won. We used an M149 on the mellower parts as we preferred the definition of the top end there.

Yeah, it's hyped a lot on the intarwebs. In no small part, I think, to the fact it's an easily affordable mic with real pro cred. It's cheap and accessible and a lot of famous people have used it as a vocal mic on something you've probably heard no matter what your listening tastes.

I think people expect magic because of all the famous names it's peripherally associated with. It's about as magic as a 57 is on a snare or a guitar cab- that is to say it's a utilitarian piece that's sometimes preferable to the "nicer" stuff because its character suits the source in context.
Old 3rd September 2011
Gear Maniac

The mic didn't make the record great. The people in the room made a great record. The mic was just what they chose for various reasons we aren't privy too. It worked.
Old 3rd September 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob61 View Post
Don't forget the oxygen free cables!
LMFAO, for how stupid this thread started out it has really come a long way
Old 3rd September 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funk-O-Meter View Post
The mic didn't make the record great. The people in the room made a great record. The mic was just what they chose for various reasons we aren't privy too. It worked.
Unfortunately that's what most people here believe, as long as they have a great mic and a great pre amp, they'd immediately sound like Mariah Carey/Christina Aguilera/Michael Jackson/Chris Cornell.
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by recorder2 View Post
SNIP
Point 2 -- the vocal doubling, when done and mixed beneath the main track, was varispeeded with the tape slowed so the double is pitch shifted up, giving shimmer [see the thread on this that's active right now] -- and even with that, the result is still neutral, not crisp
SNIP
Nice info!
As a further note, did you mean that they sped the tape up on the double track? Slowing it wouldn't result in a higher pitch, but a lower one, right?

Still a very cool concept to manipulate the double like that to create a desired sheen effect on the main track.
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear

Just for the record, it is 100% OK to not like gear that lots of other people on Gearslutz seem to like.

That said I put off getting an SM7B for a long time, and not that I finally have one, I am stunned how much it gets used for vocals. I figured I would use it for rock screamers and such, but it has been getting lots of use on folkier projects. I recently had Al Stewart in the studio and I ended up recording him on my SM7B. I had originally thought he would be on one of my Tube LDC, but I went with the SM7
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear

I love this kind of stuff.
I have had the exact opposite feeling/experience.
I have owned my sm7 for at least 20 years and very rarely has it been the winner on vocals.
My screamer mic of choice is the u195.

this is what makes the world go round.
Old 3rd September 2011
Jr. Gear Slut 2nd class

I think of the SM7 as a "puzzle piece" vocal mic. Might not sound right out of the box. Yet between EQing it/dropping it into a mix it'll at least sound quite credible-sometimes incredible IMHO.

BTW if you check out Ronan's videos, he demonstrates how well it can all end up. I honestly (initially) didn't think that vocal would turn out that good.

But that shows who's the AE (amateur enthusiast) here vs. the pro AEheh.

At NAMM '11 and Recording Fest, loved SM7>Little Labs mic pre for moi's voice. Very cool for Country and Soul.

Chris

P.S. An easier dynamic vocal mic for me to evaluate was the EV 635a omni, which IMHO has more of a neutral response
for most voices. At $100 new, this one is a no-brainer to add in a mic collection.
Plus you avoid any "sweet spot" issues, being omni.
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boschen View Post
Nice info!
As a further note, did you mean that they sped the tape up on the double track? Slowing it wouldn't result in a higher pitch, but a lower one, right?

Still a very cool concept to manipulate the double like that to create a desired sheen effect on the main track.
Here's how it works:

If you slow down the multitrack tape a bit, then add a track of someone singing to that slowed down tape, and then turn the speed back up to normal on playback, that results in a normal speed on everything (obviously), a normal pitch on everything except the new track, and the new track having a slightly higher pitch than when the singer sang it, but in tune with everything else. Taken to its extreme, you get Alvin and the Chipmunks on the new track. Used in a very subtle fashion, you get slight variances between the old tracks and the new tracks that help the voices sound different, which you would not get if the same person sang all of the tracks at normal speed. Cool little trick.

The other thread referenced is about the use of this trick to help a struggling singer hit the high notes. Here, it is about adding some differences between the voices that would not otherwise be there.

Does that help?
Old 3rd September 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCM - Ronan View Post
Just for the record, it is 100% OK to not like gear that lots of other people on Gearslutz seem to like.
NOW you tell me!
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear

Well, I got mine over a year ago and posted how "underwhelmed" I was with it.
I also got a U87 at the same time, so maybe my judgment is skewed.
I have a screamer in next week, so I'll use it for that.
It gets little use at my studio otherwise.

To me, it needs Soooooooo much gain I find it unusable with a light to moderate vocalist.

I have gotten some good results with it, just wouldn't trade it for my U87.
Old 4th September 2011
ifet7 is the best screamer mic for hardcore or metal I've found to date. SM-7b is a cool mic, I like it for amps and snare.
Old 4th September 2011
Lives for gear

I'd like 3 more sm7's ! But I do like the EV RE20 aswell . It's all about rejection to get a performance for me
Old 4th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveUK View Post
I'd like 3 more sm7's ! But I do like the EV RE20 aswell . It's all about rejection to get a performance for me
Like em both, but MUCH prefer the RE-20. That is an excellent all-rounder.
Old 4th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by recorder2 View Post
are we talking 'usable, sounds good, works in a mix, makes people happy' or are we talking 'holy s*** please sir let me give you some more money and do it again whatever you just did' ?

i mean the thing isn't a freaking 251 fed into a DW fearn rack of signal processing

we're talking just an SM7. yeah it works. so what? it works. 'works' is a pretty low bar. even 'works well' is a pretty low bar.
It's "worked" on a lot of amazing songs. I won't list them here. And yeah, sometimes it is like 'holy s***. Sometimes it's "meah".
Old 4th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funk-O-Meter View Post

Ok I'll bite heh

Although it worked, why would QJ choose a SM7 over a classic LDC to record Michael Jackson with ?

What is the "producer secrect " as to why he would choose a dynamic in this case. Listen to MJ's voice (back then). Don't give me the "cause it sounded good" common GS response crap.

I'll be honest, the reason I ever bought it was the GS hype
Old 4th September 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302efi View Post
I'll be honest, the reason I ever bought it was the GS hype
what's the prob?

doesn't the Gearslutz Seal of Approval come with a money-back guarantee? No?
Old 4th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeq View Post
what's the prob?

doesn't the Gearslutz Seal of Approval come with a money-back guarantee? No?
Actually in this case it DOES !...There's pleanty of people on here that need to live the hype for themselves that will give me my cost of the mic minus shipping..LOL

...Now THAT'S what great about this mic !

I had messages about it already...
Old 4th September 2011
Lives for gear

I Love mine Sm7b > Cloudlifter> Fearn >LA3a or 2a Nice Voc
Old 4th September 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Actually in this case it DOES !...There's pleanty of people on here that need to live the hype for themselves that will give me my cost of the mic minus shipping..LOL

...Now THAT'S what great about this mic !

I had messages about it already...
that is pretty amazing

so....
...having second thoughts? heh

Old 4th September 2011
Lives for gear

some vocalists, snare, hh, floor tom, some gtr amps, some bass amps, that's not a bad list of uses for the price in my opinion. i don't think it deserves as much hype as it gets but it's a perfectly good mic. i think that an re20, or m88 or 441 are more versatile for me in that mic's department but nothing wrong with it. i usually take off the windscreen too.
Old 4th September 2011
Lives for gear

Recording Vocals

With an awe-inspiring resume that includes The Smiths' early albums, Bryan Ferry, B.B. King, Ozzy Osbourne, Ryan Adams and so many others...

“After I've done the tracking,” Porter continues, “if I'm going to be doing overdubs, then I'll do a mic shootout: put up everything we think might work: If there's a Soundelux Elux 251, I'll try that, a tube 47, C 12, or if there's anything that anyone particularly likes, I'll try that. I might have certain mics I'll use for certain purposes. If there's a singer that's a little honky [not referring to any racial stereotype!] or has too much of a certain frequency, an Electro-Voice RE-20 might work. Sometimes, too, if the singer wants to sing in the control room with the monitors blasting, I'm not averse to using a 58. But I'll always put the SM7 up. I'll put it up against the more expensive mics and it's quite often the mic of choice.
Old 4th September 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
What is the "producer secrect " as to why he would choose a dynamic in this case. Listen to MJ's voice (back then). Don't give me the "cause it sounded good" common GS response crap.
Ok, I'll tell you the secret..

Cause it sounded good
Old 4th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by a zombie View Post
Ok, I'll tell you the secret..

Cause it sounded good
Oh we all knew that was coming...but you don't have a billion posts, so it doesn't hold the same weight
Old 5th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sounds Great View Post
Not sure why the obsession with post count, but as far as an indicator of anything, it doesn't mean much.

So you bought the SM7 because of "hype on GS"? Who's hype was it and what were they saying?

I've bought plenty of stuff because more people on here seemed to like it than not. Sometimes I liked it too, many times not. Never went on crying about it though.

Everybody knows post counts on here is the difference between a "credible grammy producer" and a" bedroom producer"... please don't deny that or make that seem false.

Who's hype ?!?! Are you serious ?...Coming form a n00b: Please use the search function and read EVERY SM7(B) topic EVER posted on GS

No one cried about it..Look at my title of the thread, look at my original post. I didn't come into this crying about ****, just wanted to express my distaste and see if any other users had similar feelings or issues I did...

Who knows, maybe I got an Early morning Monday or late afternoon Friday edition of the mic heh
Old 5th September 2011
Harmless Wacko

God hates Gearslutz.

The website.

Maybe the members too...

Starting to consider it as a distinct possibility.

SM.
Old 5th September 2011
Gear Guru

wow only 8,000 more posts and I get my Grammy!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search