The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Your average mixing fee per song (poll) Plugin Presets/Expansions
View Poll Results: What is your average cost to mix a song? ($)
0-50
9 Votes - 5.96%
50-100
20 Votes - 13.25%
100-200
25 Votes - 16.56%
200-300
34 Votes - 22.52%
300-500
26 Votes - 17.22%
500-700
17 Votes - 11.26%
700-1000
6 Votes - 3.97%
1000 +
14 Votes - 9.27%
Voters: 151. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2nd September 2011
Gear Head

Your average mixing fee per song (poll)

I found a poll on here from 2007 titled "your average cost per song to mix" and thought it would be interesting to see how much, if at all, fees have changed over the last few years.

If you could also include the rough amount of time you spend per song and if the genre affects your pricing at all. I would also be interested to hear if you've had to adjust your prices to compete with the explosion of home studios.

I'd like to add that I want to hear from home studio owners as well!

-D
Old 2nd September 2011
Lives for gear
Private studio here. It's no secret what my mix rate is as it's public knowledge. A standard mix usually takes anywhere from 10 to as much as 15 hours. I mix mainly pop, r&b, rock and rap. Price doesn't change based on genre.
Old 3rd September 2011
Gear Head

I wonder what the $1000+ are. Perhaps I should have made one more option above that one.
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear

For me, my $35/hr rate posted on my website ends up working out to about $400 - $500 per song. It's just the way it works out. Don't have much rent to pay for the facility and it's just me getting paid. Haven't really bought new gear in a while so I'm good I guess. Only really replace drum heads and strings on instruments.
Old 3rd September 2011
Gear Nut

My rate is in my sig, and it typically takes about 10 hours for a mix. I should note, my rates will be increasing in a couple months.
Old 3rd September 2011
Gear Guru

I charge $50/hour. Lately I've been mixing pretty quickly, mostly due to budget concerns, and getting pretty nice mixes in 2-3 hours. I've also tracked 99% of what I've mixed, so I know what's there, what people expect, and what I;m gonna and/subtract etc. I think my longest mix ever was probably near 8 hours.
Old 3rd September 2011
Running this place full time now but back in 2005-6 I was charging £500 GBP (so $1,000 +) per mix and taking as long as I liked on it. Typically a day and a half in my own studio. I would have an assistant / 2nd engineer working on vocal tuning / vocalign / stripping silence / drum replacement / clean up - For me (using a LE rig ) out in the tracking room.
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear

$250 Australian for 1 or $200 a pop for more than 3 songs.
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear

ireland here - 350euro per track is my listed price but thats very negotiable.
Old 3rd September 2011
Gear Addict

I charge 300 pr song. I mostly do pop-choirs with a fair load of editing. Time & pitch.

I work from home on HD2 system.

-Box
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear

I shoot for $500 but will flex. I'll spend about 2-3 days on a mix since I work best when taking many breaks. Not sure how many hours in total I spend but that doesn't concern me.
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear

$300-$500 per song.

if it's really simple (like a vocal and 2 acoustic tracks), slightly less.

if it's a crazy artsy trip-hop extravaganza with 90 audio tracks, then somewhat more.

for normal rock or pop music with standard instrumentation and a good amount of overdubs, i'm coming in around 4 or 5 hours per song, usually with 30 to 60 minutes of revisions.

i've spent a lot of effort figuring out how to speed up my workflow, cut out the time spent doing busywork, and spend more of my mixing time actually mixing.

i do my work from a small commercial space in NYC, on an HD rig with about 16 channels of outboard patched in.
Old 3rd September 2011
$1200-$2000

depending on the complexity of the material
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear

woweee
starting to look like a normal curve (or a beta approx to a normal)
with mean about $300 and sigma about 1.5dB$$

except for the blip at the high end
difference = serious/pro versus amateur/wannabee budgets?

now the big question is
how many people said that is what they CHARGE
versus how many people said that is what they PAY
Old 3rd September 2011
Give me 2 smokes a beer and were even! lol
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear

$200-300 per song here. I normally take about 10-15 hours. I like to do a song per day, leaving everything setup until I get client approval before moving to the next song the next day. I prefer this to hourly rate as I feel I take a bit longer than some and I would rather work at my own pace.
Old 3rd September 2011
Gear Head

I get $250 a song with two revisions. Then $40 an hour after that. Or I'll do $35 an hour with as many revisions as they want. Usually try to work a package deal if im doing more than three songs. Usually take about 6-10 hours a song depending on complexity. $35 an hour for editing, pocketing and tuning.
Old 3rd September 2011
Gear Nut

I just started actually getting paid for mixes, didn't really know how much to charge based on my skill set, but i won't go lower than 150, and as jobs keep coming i'll slowly increase it. (As much time as it takes to get it done well, and i often send roughs for revision as i keep working)
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumsound View Post
I charge $50/hour. Lately I've been mixing pretty quickly, mostly due to budget concerns, and getting pretty nice mixes in 2-3 hours. I've also tracked 99% of what I've mixed, so I know what's there, what people expect, and what I;m gonna and/subtract etc. I think my longest mix ever was probably near 8 hours.
Yeah, 2-3 hours is about average for what I get budgeted for.
Wish I had 8-12 hours per mix like some here, but I've leaned to be faaaaaast!
Old 4th September 2011
Whenever these bands on a tight budget try to do fast mixes, they always complain and want to redo (things that the normal listener wouldn't care about mostly anyhow). At my place we aren't primarily ITB/plugs (mostly console, outboard, tape) so that involves manual recall which equals time and $$...so I try to explain that taking a little more time the first round will save them money in the long run. Having them think critically about the mix initially is sometimes hard to do.

One trick I've learned to get them away from the excitement and anxiousness of the first mix day or two, is get them to mix the songs in backwards order that they'll appear on the album. So the first ones get a little less attention, and the last ones mixed get the most attention (and those are the ones that appear first on the album or will be used as singles or for an EP)...and because they are more calm and seasoned a few days into it, the last ones mixed turn out better too.
Old 4th September 2011
Lives for gear

Home private studio !!

I charge 95 uk pounds around 160 us per mix.

Spend around 6-8 hours per mx plus revision time !

I love mixing r&b, pop, hiphip, house, dance, electro, reagge and rock pop !!! As long as im feeling the track !!! LOL
Old 4th September 2011
Lives for gear

I take about 10 hours+/- on an average mix. More if it is tracked poorly and less if it just needs balancing. More if it is a solo acoustic/piano type of vibe vs full band or over the top pop extravaganza. Pretty logical really.
My price reflects this. A little more for large productions and a little less for simple tracks. All in all it averages out to about $500 a day or song. I usually do minor tweaks at no charge unless they are wanting major changes or revisions.

www.aisle6productions.com.au
[email protected]
Old 4th September 2011
Gear Head

I'm surprised there are that many over $1000 on here. That's great.

I Charge either $300 or $600 depending on which room I'm using. If I'm at my home studio, it's $300, and $600 if I'm in the big room where I work (desk + loads of outboard gear.)

I'll usually do all revisions for free provided they are relatively minor and don't chew up a lot of time.
Old 4th September 2011
Lives for gear

Interesting thread - the only thing that's not factored in here, is the consistency of work/jobs!
Old 23rd October 2011
MFA
Gear Head

I find this very hard to answer. We have two engineers for mixing here plus one trainee, and the rates are 30€ (~40USD) for mixing and 20€ (~28USD) for mechanical jobs like cutting, Vocalign, Autotuning etc.

1. It depends on the budget:
After eight years of entrepreneurship I must say: Unless a major label or at least one of its subs rushes in (which only happens once or twice in a year), whatever you tell them as a price will be wrong. Being to cheap means you are not good enough, being to expensive they say "my buddy can do this with his PC". I really wished I could refuse projects that are budgeted with less than ~1000USD per song, but to be honest, this is only dreaming. Usually we end up with little more than 300USD per song, plus 50USD for mastering (if done in house) and tax (..ahemmm..yeah....another big problem for private projects..)

2. It depends on the material:
Needless to say that great musicians need far less edits. The fun is that most of the bigger jobs we were lucky enough to get almost always needed more work on the vocals than most of the small-budget private projects. For the instruments it's vice versa, so more often than not we end up playing parts by ourselves or hiring friends.

3. The maths:
Calculating on an eigth-hours working day, five days a week, with two engineers, two recording rooms (one is more on the project side of things, though, the other one is based on a 400k USD investment, including treatment and build) and one trainee that helps us for 10-15hrs/week, we have a booking rate of 60%. That seems to be too low, but since the better equipped recording room is needed in most cases, I see problems increasing the booking rate. And the trainee needs to have a place for his editings, too. We don't work on pirated software, and he needs a good listening environment at least.
We pay approx. 1.200USD of monthly rent, and still around 1.100USD for the debts/loan (sorry, my English is ruined, but I'm too lazy to dict.cc that right now...) The trainee gets paid 800 USD per month, the external bookkeeping is around 150USD per month, we have tons of bills for electricity, heating, catering etc, which sums up at around 600USD/month. So without a cent being there as profit for us two, we have fixed costs at around 3.850 USD/month.
The monthly t/o is at approx. 8500USD, what means that the marginal income (which equals the EBIT in this case) is 8.500-3.850=4.650 USD per month. We are two owners, so... well... there must be a lot of idealism into it

4. The Quality thing:
There are more jobs that we refuse to do than jobs that we accept. AIMB, we could probably increase the t/o by using the "cheap" recording room much more, but I think that would not pay off. On an album, there is written "Recording", "Mixing", "Mastering". What is missing is "price paid". So, if we'd start doing musical blow jobs, with at least questionable sonic results, just to aim a 100% booking rate, would that pay off in the end?

I dunno.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search