The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Duet 2 is so loud! Audio Interfaces
Old 2nd September 2011
Here for the gear

Duet 2 is so loud!

Just got my Duet 2, after upgrading from an awful M-Audio Firewire 410.

Even just playing back from iTunes, there's no comparison in terms of sound quality.

However the output volume is about twice as loud - i.e. when the Duet is on half volume it's as loud as my FW410 was on full.

Why is this?

And, without adjusting the level on my HS80M monitors, is there a way to control the maximum output level so I don't accidentally blow my speakers (or my ears), and use the full range of the volume control?

Also - the keyboard volume controls seems to have a different scale to the duet's volume knob.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
Old 2nd September 2011
Gear Head

yeah there is, i have never had that problem though... i have the first duet and ensemble so maestro for you is slightly different but go to the mixer and there should be something that says "to hardware," just set that to output 1 and 2 and pull down the level.
^ not a run on sentence...

nothing that runs through the duet should exceed that level.

and the ratio of the duets volume and your computer volume is kinda different. on the ensemble it takes about a quarter of the meter to be audible.
hope this helps!
Old 2nd September 2011
Here for the gear

Thanks - this worked.

Actually at maximum volume the Duet is about 10 times louder!

Is it best to run the duet at max output and then turn my monitors down?
Old 2nd September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by discofuel View Post
Thanks - this worked.

Actually at maximum volume the Duet is about 10 times louder!

Is it best to run the duet at max output and then turn my monitors down?
I wouldn`t do that. Best to keep monitors and the Duet at comfortable levels. You`ll have to play with the setup.

Turn monitors on last and turn them off first. Before pressing playing, make sure to turn the Duet down, then gradually bring it up. I have my Duet2 set up with the Dim on the left button just in case something pops up. You can set it up to mute your monitors just in case you forget!

You should give the Apogee Maestro software a good look. Check it out to help you get set up properly.
Old 2nd September 2011
Lives for gear

have a read on how to calibrate your monitors on Bob Katz´s site
Audio CD Mastering, Mixing & Replication

hope that helps

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search