The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Spectra Sonics 610 vs. 1176 for in your face vocals? Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 2nd September 2011
Gear Maniac

Spectra Sonics 610 vs. 1176 for in your face vocals?

Does anyone have first hand experience of both these compressors for tracking agressive vocals?

I've had a UA 6176 for about 5 years now and I love the 1176 to bits. I record lots of agressive rock / pop and love slamming vocals through the 1176 on the way in.

I kinda fancy a change now and I've spotted a Spectra Sonics 610 for sale locally. If I sold the 6176 to fund the 610 would I kick myself later?

Pete
Old 2nd September 2011
Lives for gear

Probably so. I have a 610 and don't find it all that useful--distorts easily, which is cool when that's what you want. Definitely has a vibe, and I wouldn't give mine up, but I'd trade even for an 1176 any day.

-R
Old 2nd September 2011
Gear Maniac

Thanks for the feedback, anyone else got an opinion? Already I'm less keen!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKrizman View Post
Probably so. I have a 610 and don't find it all that useful--distorts easily, which is cool when that's what you want. Definitely has a vibe, and I wouldn't give mine up, but I'd trade even for an 1176 any day.

-R
Old 2nd September 2011
The 610 is REALLY aggressive, and kind of unpredictable. I'm not sure I'd use it for a tracking session; it's just too unpredictable.
Old 3rd September 2011
Gear Nut

Is it feasible to save for a new addition, or does it have to be one of the other? If you love what you have "to bits", I'd keep it.
Old 3rd September 2011
Gear Maniac

Okay, so I'm going to keep hold of the 6176 for sure now! I know I can get a great vocal sound in seconds with it. Maybe save for a spectra sonics for future fun though.

Pete
Old 3rd September 2011
Gear Head

6176 is a great ch imo.
yea i say keep it!
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear

+1 to the opinions above.

But the Spectra Sonics 610 is an amazing dirt machine! I wish I still had one.
Old 3rd September 2011
Lives for gear

I'd agree with previous posters:
610 is more specialized than a 1176. Imagine the distortion you can get when pushing the input on an 1176 to it's limit and double this imagination for a 610 heh
I like the crack it can give snares and the gnarl it can add to bass guitars.
It would take a stiff nerve to use it for tracking.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search