The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Hit songs w/ long intro's, solo's, ending's, etc.? Equalisers (HW)
Old 2nd September 2011
Lives for gear
Hit songs w/ long intro's, solo's, ending's, etc.?

I'd like to hear some 'Hit' songs that have long intro's, or solo's, ending's, etc. singles preferably, but feel free to add what you like. Really appreciate it - thanks!
Old 2nd September 2011
Lives for gear

SWEET CHILD O' MINE brotha!

Old 2nd September 2011
Lives for gear
Hit songs w/ long intro's, solo's, ending's, etc.?

Related to another thread I put Fragile on the other day. I was surprised to remember how long the intro was to Roundabout. But I think people had a bit more patience in those days.
Old 2nd September 2011
Lives for gear

Whats 'long' though? What genre and era?

In pop I think a long intro classifies as about 4 second! :p

But heres a doozy modern one for ya (non pop)
Muse....knights of cydonia! Tune and a half that one...
Old 2nd September 2011
Lives for gear

Freebird, Ohio; Layla has the longest outro I can think of.
Old 2nd September 2011
Lives for gear

Iggy Pop - Lust for Life.
It's a minute or more before the vocal comes in.
Old 2nd September 2011
Streets have no name - U2
Money 4 nothing - Dire Straits
Locomotive Breath - Jethro Tull

For radio, the intros are often removed if the song becomes a hit

Living in NZ we have different charts obviously, so I have a biased view as to what is a hit. We tend to get a mix of the best from England, Australia & USA, with only the very best kiwi stuff making it at home. Often kiwi stuff has to be discovered overseas before it's recognised here.

Which brings me to:
Split Enz - the song 6 Months in a Leaky boat (sort of) has a very long intro. Technically, it's listed as a seperate song called Pioneer (1:32) - but the two songs are merged together, so DJ's have to fade in the intro if it has already been truncated. It's a fantastic synth instrumental that evokes a seascape maritime feeling that perfectly sets up 6 months in a leaky boat ...
Old 2nd September 2011
Not really a hit, but Lazy -Machine Head (Deep Purple) takes ages for the vocals to begin, but it's perfect.
Old 2nd September 2011
Do you feel like I do - Peter Frampton ...

Obviously there was more freedom back in the 70's to indulge in long intros ...
Old 2nd September 2011
Gear Nut
some obvious ones:

Intros -
Take Me Out - Franz Ferdinand (over a minute till the beat kicks in proper)

outros -
Hey Jude - Beatles
Sowing the Seeds of Love - Tears for Fears

solos -
Are You Gonna Go My Way - Lenny Kravitz
My Sharona - The Knack (think there's a single edit too with a shorter solo)
Old 2nd September 2011
Lives for gear
i need a lover - j couger
Old 2nd September 2011
Lives for gear

"Black Magic Woman" - Santana

"I Want You Back" - Jackson 5

And as an ex-60's/70's Top 40 jock, my favorite intro was one about 18 seconds long, with a couple of strong "transitions" in it.

(BTW: We talked over the intros back then; deal with it)

18 seconds gave me enough time to get my talk "established in the groove" (as a drummer it was easy for me to match the tempo).

While we usually "walked" the intro right up to the first lyric, it was nice if we had a couple of transition points in the intro where we could stop before the first lyric if we wanted to.

When I first started on the air we would actually "pot down" our records when we talked over the intros, but starting in the early 70's we used a different technique.

By then we had started slamming the sh*t out of our Sta-Levels and Audimax/Volumax units, running lots of compression and fast atttack and release times. Instead of potting the music down to talk over the record, we'd just bring the mic in a little hot, and just let the compressor push the music down.

And with the fast attack and release times, when we paused our talk the music volume would pop back up. Those of us with a good sense of rhythm could "work" the compressor with the right intro and do some really neat things...
Old 2nd September 2011
Lives for gear

AFAIK.. the longest intro to a top 10 single in Britain.. over 50 seconds

Old 2nd September 2011
U2 "Where the Streets Have No Name" - it's almost 2 minutes before the vocals come in.
Old 2nd September 2011
Lives for gear

Dadgummit! You guys are missing the longest intro of all: "Papa Was a Rolling Stone" by the Temptations. Even on the short radio version, that intro lasts a long time, but on the album version, it goes on FOREVER. One of my favorites, though.

"Foreplay/Long Time" by Boston may not count, because it is one of those "instrumentals that leads right into a separate song with words" deals. I still think it should be considered an intro, though. If the instrumental is really a separate song, why is it never played only on its own? If it cannot stand on its own, then I say it's an intro.
Old 2nd September 2011
Old 2nd September 2011
Gear Head

Shine On You Crazy Diamond pt 1 - Pink Floyd (There's a lot of Floyd songs actually)
Old 2nd September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Goat View Post
Layla has the longest outro I can think of.
And the most painful. Allman's intonation is god-awful. Makes me want to jab pencils in my ears.

Love the composition, though.

Posted via the Gearslutz iPhone app
Old 2nd September 2011
Gear Maniac

So many songs with long intros so I wouldn't list any, while hit songs with long outros, 3 come to mind, Hazel O'Conner's 'Will You', Gerry Rafferty's 'Baker Street' and Alan Parsons Projects's 'Old and Wise', they all have very long saxophone outros.
Old 2nd September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by doncaparker View Post
... If the instrumental is really a separate song, why is it never played only on its own? If it cannot stand on its own, then I say it's an intro.
Unless it's a prelude.

And instrumentals aren't songs; they are simply musical compositions. Songs require a lyric to be sung.

Posted via the Gearslutz iPhone app
Old 2nd September 2011
Gear Maniac

These 2 come to my mind right now:

The Eagles - Hotel California

Metallica - One

Both have kind of a long intro and long solos
Old 2nd September 2011
The Cure's "Fascination Street"
Old 2nd September 2011
Lives for gear

Gimme Shelter falls into this.

While not hits, here are a few great songs:

Have You Ever Loved A Woman - Layla Dominoes original track. The intro is perhaps the best blues guitar ever played - listen to the phrasing - it is magic.

Statesboro Blues - Allmans At Fillmore East - I was there too!

Only You Know And I Know - Dave Mason

WS Wolcott's Medicine Show - The Band

Don't Do It - The Band

Little Wing - Hendrix

I'm sure I could go on... So many great tunes that came out of my era. Best era of music to me was about 66 thru 72 / 73. After that, the suits had really stepped in and it went down hill for the most part and with some exceptions, has really been sort of Been There Done That for me - too formulaic or fake sounding.

....ooops - sorry, veered off on a short rant. Must mind my manners.

Old 2nd September 2011
Lives for gear

Robert Palmer's Addicted to Love has about 1 min of 80s gated snare synth rocky guitar intro before the vocals...1.45 before the first mention of the word addicted ...and finally doesnt really hit the chorus until 2:37..... as a child o the 80s though, I remember the first time I heard that song when it was just released and I immediately knew it was going to be huge... I suppose long intros gave FM morning drive DJs plenty of time to talk over the intro ...
Old 2nd September 2011
Lives for gear

Well looks like the video version has a drastically edited down intro... my ipod version is much longer... nice video eh?
Old 2nd September 2011
Gear Maniac

Pink Floyd - Shine on you crazy diamond
Old 2nd September 2011
Lives for gear

Bauhaus - Bela Lugosi's Dead

The whole song almost sounds like a 9 minute intro that never arrives. Not meant as a slight, I love that song.
Old 2nd September 2011
Gear Addict

George Benson's 'The World is a Ghetto' has a 4 minute 'intro'. Or it's more like a 'pre-coda' or something. Cool song.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evangelista View Post
Bauhaus - Bela Lugosi's Dead

The whole song almost sounds like a 9 minute intro that never arrives. Not meant as a slight, I love that song.
Nice! I haven't listened to Bauhaus for ages, just dug out In The Flat Field. Great stuff!

Old 2nd September 2011
Lives for gear

Smoke On The Water
Old 2nd September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdfdsa View Post
I'd like to hear some 'Hit' songs that have long intro's, or solo's, ending's, etc. singles preferably, but feel free to add what you like. Really appreciate it - thanks!
No apostrophe, boy.

The Apostrophe Cop
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search