The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Reference-speakers with ARC Monitor Controllers
Old 1st September 2011
Here for the gear

Reference-speakers with ARC

Hi there

I'm currently running a bedroom studio with some acoustic treatment (foam on reflection-points and bass-traps in the corners), as well as making use of the ARC-system to tighten things up.
I'm not interested in hosting a discussion of whether ARC is the optimal solution or not. For me it does a decent job along with my moderate acoustic treatment and Adam A7 nearfield monitors.

Having read a lot of places that speaker referencing is a must, I'm very strongly considering buying some Auratone-like speakers (possibly the Avantone mixcubes).
They are very midrange-focused, and the midrange should be very precise and tight as well, due to the speaker box design, as well as the fact that it has only a single cone and thus no crossover-point in the frequency-spectrum.

Now my question is, would it make sense to use a pair of Avantone speakers with the ARC system?
My initial assumption would be that it could potentially counter the function of the reference-speakers in the first place, because ARC tries to make as flat a frequency-curve as possible.

Since the measurement software is measuring room+speakers and tries to make a flat curve out of this, I guess it is pretty much working by streamlining all speakers. You can never remove the speakers from the equation, because that would require you to input some technical data on your speakers' freq response for ARC to work with... Or am I wrong here?

Avantones can be said to be very skewed frequency-wise, as they lack low and high-end, and perhaps the ARC system would struggle to overcompensate for these dips, yielding a very strange result?

And even if it would "succeed", would the result not be something close to the sound my Adam A7´s have?

Another idea would be to use the Avantones without any room correction, and hope that my room's response is not as bad in the overall midrange as in the missing low-end.
Actually, in the non-ARC situation, I might as well just use a single Avantone-speaker and monitor the mono-signal. This is a useful strategy for balancing the instruments against each other, which is one of the challenges I often run into in the midrange...
But would I then be cheated by my room modes?

My options here might constitute an obvious catch 22, but I might be wrong in some of my assumptions...

Has anyone tried considered (or tried) these options?

-Actually, if any of you have tried using ARC with different speakers in the same setup, do they tend to sound more alike each other with the ARC turned on?

Thanks for your help!

Regards,
Rasmus Høll Nielsen
Old 2nd September 2011
Lives for gear
Reference-speakers with ARC

I would think that you would need to put the standard Auratone response into the ARC or it would try to force assort of smiley on the speakers to make up for their response. Unless you have some really nasty surfaces in close proximity to the speakers, i would think that most of the correction is going to be down at frequencies the cubes don't produce in any event.

With speakers it's the same as real estate. It's all about location, location, location.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search