The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
creating a nice room illusion with 2 reverb and 2 ER units Reverb/Delay Processors (HW)
Old 1st September 2011
Here for the gear

creating a nice room illusion with 2 reverb and 2 ER units

Hello! I once heard from a setup to create a good room illusion being able to place the elements in different depths and even higth. It involved 2 separate units of reverb and 2 for early reflections. One reverb for the back and one for the front. The principle is, if a soundsource is placed in the back of the room the er´s arrive earlier to the listener than if the ss is placed in the front.
Has anybody heard about it? How should i do the routing? Should the er´s also go to the reverb. . I allso heard something about being able to place a element on top of another . A choir over the lead voc. for ex. It was done delaying the send output to the reverb by a few millisec. in relation to the bottom element. Has to do something with the er´´s reflected from the ground . thank you
Old 1st September 2011
Personally i've found that emulating a good room is what sorts the good reverbs from the bad ones. I've tried a lot of affordable hardware, and a lot of software verbs, and ended up buying a Bricasti M7 which is the most satisfying solution i've found. No need for fancy tricks if you have an M7.

In my opinion, the ERs of most reverbs are just a bunch of short delays, and they tend to sound a bit nasty. I guess the CPU grunt wasn't available to make the ERs smooth enough - whereas the Bricasti uses a massive amount of CPU and has very smooth ERs.

The trick you describe sounds like a work-around solution for inferior reverbs. Possibly mixing different ERs together might work for you ... everything is worth experimenting with. With software, I tried mixing different verbs - those with the better ERs with those with the smoother tails.

Generally, the ERs can drive the reverb tail (series or insert FX). But you can also try parallel or send FX to keep them seperate.

This stuff tends to be very source specific - because clusters of delays are essentially comb filters. So specific frequencies can sound good, and others can trigger nasty resonances. A lot like bad natural rooms.

I find the M7 is so smooth its like perfect rooms, and you don't have to work very hard to make them work.

I've also found that convolution reverbs can be acceptable for small rooms (depending on the sample of course - real acoustic spaces, not cheap hardware). You can sometimes shorten the envelope on longer samples to get good room sounds.
Old 2nd September 2011
Lives for gear

....but however you proceed, it is crucial that you really listen to what those reverbs are doing for each specific song.

Take the time to tweak those parameters to the point that you can really hear what they are doing so you'll know that they are doing what you want them to.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search