The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Wavelore Pedal Steel-Vibrato
Old 1st September 2011
Gear Maniac

Wavelore Pedal Steel-Vibrato

Ok, so I downloaded the Wavelore Pedal Steel demo, apparently not the same player as the real thing, this version uses Kontakt. I cannot for the life of me figure out how to get vibrato from the mod wheel, as the manual claims. I tried doing the sine modulation thing, but it just doesnt sound natural. Anyone here tried this demo and got the vibrato to work? I am using it in Kontakt 4
Old 1st September 2011
Never tried it. But if I was looking to emulate pedal steel with a sampler of any description, I would probably never be happy with any vibrato that was part of the sampler engine ... let me explain ...

Many sampler engines treat each note as being independant. So if you apply vibrato, it applys it independantly to each note, with no regard to phase coherence between the LFOs. On chords, that ends up as a whole wiggly mess. I don't know if this apply in this particular case ... let's hope not.

A pedal steel player applys vibrato by wiggling the steel bar, so each note of the chord gets essentially the same amount, and the notes all go up and down in pitch together.

Solution? If the playback engine hadn't already sorted this out (lets hope so) I would use a Vibrato plugin after the sampler. I would choose one that syncs to Tempo, because a human player tends to sync vibrato to tempo. It should be possible to assign the keyboard mod wheel to bring in the vibrato.

So maybe this is just a shortcoming of the free Kontakt player - maybe the real thing is good. But if not, there are solutions.
Old 20th September 2011
Gear Maniac

I have the Pedal Steel by Wavelore. It is fantastic. No, not the same as the real thing. And I do play with a great pedal steel player. But darn, the programming is quite amazing and certainly worth it if you even dabble in Country or Americana.

I am considering on getting the Reso. There is a sale until the end of Sept. I am downloading the trial version. I would love to hear what anyone thinks. Seems there is some problems running in Kontakt.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search