The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
DJ pieces vs. Package and Suggestions Plugin Presets/Expansions
Old 1st September 2011
Here for the gear

DJ pieces vs. Package and Suggestions

I saw some questions about basic DJ set ups, but the questions seemed more specific than the stage of my decision making.

I have been into the idea of DJ'ing for a while, but consider myself very uneducated in the various possibilities for DJ'ing.

My goal is to just DJ as a hobby, maybe at my place, friend's places just for fun. I don't mind putting some money into it, but I am not planning on making money through DJ'ing and wouldn't want to spend too much initially. ($300-$400)

As far as music goes, I would be interested in hip hop/rap/techno/dub a lot of mainstream music that friends would recognize etc...

I think I have an idea of what I want as far as using a laptop/controller/interface/headphones/monitors. No old school vinyl or cd's because I don't want to invest in tons of physical music to begin with.

I have been looking at:
Numark MIXTRACK DJ Software Controller

Numark DJ I/O Multi Channel USB 2.0 DJ Audio Interface

Amazon.com: Numark DJ I/O Multi Channel USB 2.0 DJ Audio Interface: Musical Instruments

You can see the prices are pretty low so I am being kind of cheap, but I have talked about these two pieces with a buddy who does some audio stuff for his band and he thought the interface could be a little sub-par.

What would you suggest for:

controller

interface

monitors

Do I buy new/used? Where are the best places to shop for this equipment

Thank you all in advance!
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear
DJ pieces vs. Package and Suggestions

Well, you're going to need tons of music from somewhere. Remember this is a forum for the people who make the music and expect to be compensated for having done so.

A big part of DJing is having tons of music that you know well enough to work a crowd with. Recognizing what's working and what's not.

Are you expecting to go in to situations where there is already a house system? That is another significant investment and a whole nother kettle of fish if you have to provide the sound.
Old 2nd September 2011
Here for the gear

I do have a small library of my own and I would rather just buy and manage my music through the computer if possible. Also, this is just a hobby that I would be doing in my house or possibly a friends house just for personal interest. I am not planning on going to clubs and bars to throw down some dope shows (as cool as it may be).

Now considering I will be mainly doing this in my room or at a buddy's house am I correct in thinking that I will probably only need:

controller, interface, headphones, monitors, software (hoping at least basic software comes with what I pruchase)

And as for suggestions on the gear/places to purchase/etc I'm still looking.
Old 2nd September 2011
Lives for gear

Native Instruments DJ2 interface is great sound and value and is designed for what you want. It also comes with some (lite?) version of the industry-standard Traktor software. As for the other stuff keep looking, also this probably isn't the best forum for this question, we're all old, rich or from Nashville. (jus' kiddn'!)
I'd suggest you register at the NI forum and post in the Traktor section, you'll get plenty of good info from folks in the know.
Speakers etc...Craigslist, ebay?
You're trying to buy a lot for very little, remember you can buy crap 3 times or half-decent stuff once. If it doesn't work out it's easier to sell good stuff too.
Old 2nd September 2011
Lives for gear

oops
Old 3rd September 2011
Gear Addict

you can look into the serato itch stuff. they have a few hardware options in different price ranges. its simple enough for you to have fun with and professional enough to still use if you ever get a real gig. with the software you can manage your music in itunes and it will import all of your playlists and library.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search