The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Making the leap from ITB to full-blown Studio. Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 1st September 2011
Making the leap from ITB to full-blown Studio.

I guess this is going to pe a progress report of sorts, as well as asking for advice. Here goes the journey...

Current recording setup:

Computer:
4 year olr Gateway DX420S
-Soundblaster X-Fi Fatal!ty soundcard w/Optional Drive Bay Audio Interface
-Bose Home Theater Speakers (monitors)
-1.5 Gb RAM
-730 Gb Storage total

DAWs:
Cool Edit Pro 2.0 - Main recording, mixing, and mastering.
FL Studio 8 XXL Producer - Secondary mixing and mastering (different plugins seem to help sometimes), Drum sequencer (can't fit a drumset in my "studio" as of now. ToonTrack EZDrummer is used for samples).

Recording space/Studio:
30ft. camp trailer that doubles as my house.

There's what I'm starting with. Right now, I've got the land to build on, but not the money, so I'm going to start getting the equipment together until I can get the building together.

On another note: I'm thinking of building a combo house/studio from shipping containers. I'm thinking of getting 2 60ft. containers and a 40ft. one, and setting them up in an H configuration.

For the advice part:

Anyone have any tips on what to use as a decent quality cheap acoustic treatment? Most of them I've looked at are $200 for 24 Sq ft of treatment.
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear

I think you would be better off putting the two sixty foot containers side by side and using a cutting torch and welder to make it one big room for recording. I seem to remember a couple shipping container threads in the Studio building / acoustics section here, so start searching as someone may have already done what you want to do and you won't have to re-invent the wheel. Rockwool is fairly inexpensive for acoustical treatment material.
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear
Just my .2cents.....I think I would hold off getting equipment first and then doing the studio.(especially since it'll probably be awhile getting the space ready)..Unless the gear is good old vintage analog (..heh..) getting digital gear will be obsolete before you even get to use it..!..Sounds like you have a venture to get the rooms up and running..Good luck..
Old 2nd September 2011
Side note to the above post:

My grandpa left me a lot of stuff when he passed away, including a set of keys that my grandma says that she has no clue what's behind the door. I know that he had a "secret" studio that he and his buddies would record in (he played in a bluegrass band for most of his life), but nobody had any idea where it is.

My only road-block in going to get the stuff from the room: I don't have the money or the trasportaton (to cart stuff back, that is). The probate lawyer had the keys mailed to me, which is halfway across the country from the door they go to. If I'm guessing right, there's a full analog studio with all the outboard gear I may ever need in there. If I'm wrong in my guessing, then I've got a bunch of stuff that I'll probably never use, but will definately never get rid of. Talk about a conundrum, right?

Last edited by crissmichaels; 2nd September 2011 at 06:48 AM.. Reason: The site edited out road block (with no space) for some reason...
Old 2nd September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by crissmichaels View Post
If I'm guessing right, there's a full analog studio with all the outboard gear I may ever need in there. If I'm wrong in my guessing, then I've got a bunch of stuff that I'll probably never use, but will definately never get rid of.
Depends how hip Grandpa was....

What's behind door number 1? It is an original Gates Sta-Level and a U47, or just a rusty banjo and a tascam 4-track.... Hmmm....

Regards,
Frank
Old 2nd September 2011
Lives for gear

How about just mailing the keys to Grandma or some other family member there and having them take pictures and describe what is in there for you. If you don't have transportation and can't afford the $400 - $500 in gas to get there then why are you talking about buying musical gear or building a studio? Spend the money you have on basic quality of life needs first (a roof over your head and a car). It's OK to have a dream but be practical first!
Old 2nd September 2011
Lives for gear

Good luck!
Old 2nd September 2011
Lives for gear

As others have said, and what I learned the hard and expensive way...

Save every penny you can and build the best sounding recording and/or mixing environment you can!!!

Then work in that environment for a while with pretty much the cheapest decent setup you can afford. Try different monitors and DA's spend some $$$ there so you can really hear what you've done...

Then start buying the good stuff.

Good luck!!!

G
Old 2nd September 2011
Lives for gear

On the other hand.

Here is somebody who is your flesh and blood and also connected to music. I would definitely want to show up at that studio and see what gramps was into. It is ridiculous to not be the one to pack up gramps studio. IMHO.

Take a bus out there and see. Amtrak if you can swing it.

Don't worry if it is junk your grandpa won't be angry if you don't cherish it.
Old 2nd September 2011
Lives for gear

go check it out! take lots of pictures along the way! I want a full update!
Old 2nd September 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by iangomes View Post
go check it out! take lots of pictures along the way! I want a full update!
Agreed. You've piqued my curiosity.
Old 2nd September 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Side note to the above post:

My grandpa left me a lot of stuff when he passed away, including a set of keys that my grandma says that she has no clue what's behind the door. I know that he had a "secret" studio that he and his buddies would record in (he played in a bluegrass band for most of his life), but nobody had any idea where it is.

My only road-block in going to get the stuff from the room: I don't have the money or the trasportaton (to cart stuff back, that is). The probate lawyer had the keys mailed to me, which is halfway across the country from the door they go to. If I'm guessing right, there's a full analog studio with all the outboard gear I may ever need in there. If I'm wrong in my guessing, then I've got a bunch of stuff that I'll probably never use, but will definately never get rid of. Talk about a conundrum, right?

I think you need to add a Romantic Interest here and also maybe some Endangerment. Maybe a hot chick with awesome driving skills to take you cross country and some mysterious black vans with tinted windows trailing you...
Old 18th March 2012
Gear Nut

Quote:
Anyone have any tips on what to use as a decent quality cheap acoustic treatment? Most of them I've looked at are $200 for 24 Sq ft of treatment.
There is an ebay seller that goes by "foamexpress". I just purchased 96sq ft for 125$ shipped of 1.5in acoustic foam. They are definitly the cheapest company Ive found. I dont have much of a baseline for comparison, but it seems to be pretty decent stuff, ill let you know when I get it altho :thumb:
Old 18th March 2012
Well, I made the trip out to Nevada to see what's in the room. Whoever said a Tascam 4-track was right. There were quite a few quality stringed instruments in there, some of which I have no idea how to play. I'll most likely sell them and donate the money to a charity (my grandpa was killed by lung cancer, so a youth smoking prevention program, maybe?). I will be keeping the guitars and bass guitars, especially the Martin D-50.

Sorry if I disappointed anyone on here with that news. On a lighter note, I now have 2 mics added to my arsenal, as well as a preamp and a small mixer (a little 2 channel that's perfect for recording guitar or vocals).
Old 18th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
I guess this is going to pe a progress report of sorts, as well as asking for advice. Here goes the journey...

Current recording setup:

Computer:
4 year olr Gateway DX420S
-Soundblaster X-Fi Fatal!ty soundcard w/Optional Drive Bay Audio Interface
-Bose Home Theater Speakers (monitors)
-1.5 Gb RAM
-730 Gb Storage total

DAWs:
Cool Edit Pro 2.0 - Main recording, mixing, and mastering.
FL Studio 8 XXL Producer - Secondary mixing and mastering (different plugins seem to help sometimes), Drum sequencer (can't fit a drumset in my "studio" as of now. ToonTrack EZDrummer is used for samples).

Recording space/Studio:
30ft. camp trailer that doubles as my house.

There's what I'm starting with. Right now, I've got the land to build on, but not the money, so I'm going to start getting the equipment together until I can get the building together.

On another note: I'm thinking of building a combo house/studio from shipping containers. I'm thinking of getting 2 60ft. containers and a 40ft. one, and setting them up in an H configuration.

For the advice part:

I know where you can get 24s/f of proffessional 2" Guilford fabric wrapped OC703 bevel/edge hardened panels for $125 ($5.21 per s/f) or 120 s/f for $500 ($4.17 per s/f)!!!
Old 20th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Well, I made the trip out to Nevada to see what's in the room. Whoever said a Tascam 4-track was right. There were quite a few quality stringed instruments in there, some of which I have no idea how to play. I'll most likely sell them and donate the money to a charity (my grandpa was killed by lung cancer, so a youth smoking prevention program, maybe?). I will be keeping the guitars and bass guitars, especially the Martin D-50.

Sorry if I disappointed anyone on here with that news. On a lighter note, I now have 2 mics added to my arsenal, as well as a preamp and a small mixer (a little 2 channel that's perfect for recording guitar or vocals).
Better than a kick in the pants! Congrats on the gear!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search