The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Roland sp 404 Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 1st September 2011
Here for the gear

Roland sp 404

I have a quick question... basically I have had an sp 404 for quite some time but never got as far into "sound creation" as I had hoped. I am wondering this.. would it be possible for me to record a sound into the on board mic, like an "ooh" from my voice for example, then with my midi keyboard hooked up play that "ooh" across my entire keyboard as if it were a synth patch?

I know you can trigger a sample from the 404 with a single corresponding key but I would like to have that single sound somehow spread across to every key with the correct pitch to each key (hope this all makes sense).

I assume this is somehow possible because there are vintage "toy" synths from the 80's like the yamaha vss30 that do this with no problem. If anyone can help I'd appreciate it, thanks everyone.
Old 1st September 2011
Here for the gear

Because it's intended primarily as a rhythm sampler, I don't think you can do it - though I've never tried it on our sp404. If it's not possible automatically, it'll mean having to retune the sample to each individual note you want and mapping it across the pads. Time-consuming but do-able - done it plenty of times on our Akai MPC
Old 1st September 2011
Here for the gear

ok, i figured that might be the case, I'm considering selling it and getting a yamaha rs7000, but can it be done on this sampler?
Old 4th September 2011
Here for the gear

Anyone know if I can do this on the yamaha rs7000?

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Gearslutz.com App

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search