The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Is there a high pass filter rackmount? No other EQ settings? Equalisers (HW)
Old 1st September 2011
Gear Addict

Is there a high pass filter rackmount? No other EQ settings?

Does anyone make just a plain old high pass filter rackmount? No other EQ stuff to deal with [and pay for]? To just put between a mic pre lacking the feature and compressor? There's like a 200 series API thing I saw advertised once but I'm more into just a plain 19" rackmount. Maybe like some options, 20 Hz, 30, 40, 60, 80, 100, 120. Or sweepable. Something like that?
Old 1st September 2011
Gear Addict

there is 500 series one. ShinyBox Guillotine
Old 1st September 2011
Gear Addict

hmm. not 19" though, ive been looking online for possibilities...maybe its just not cost effective to build
Old 1st September 2011
Gear Nut

Not enough demand. The HP filter on the 500 series Harrison 32 EQ still amazes me, but obviously not what you are looking for.
Old 1st September 2011
Gear Addict

yeah im sort of wanting a continuously variable [not preset frequencies] filter of like 12 dB per octave. maybe 18. In terms of just having continuously variable control over the HPF, it looks like there's a bunch of EQs, all of which are way over-featured for what i kind of need right now.

also trying to find one without that crazy baxendall curve thing. or is the baxendall the good one and the non-baxendall the bad one.

anyway the thing where you cut at like 55 Hz and between like 55 and 62 Hz there's a huge bass peak though below 55 it tapers off dramatically. The idea is for that to not happen, for it to be smooth.
Old 19th November 2011
Lives for gear

Search for "Square State Solid State". It hasn't been released yet, but it looks like they have one designed and ready to go, and are just getting the funds together to release it.

They have an EQ unit that is already out. New company, low cost, and supposedly good sounding stuff. Their EQ streets at $500, so I imagine the HPF/LPF will be even cheaper.

Hope it comes out sooner than later. Would rather not spend $500 on the Shiny Box unit, but am definitely willing to.
Old 19th November 2011
Lives for gear

On the low end but has a really cool sound IMO is the old Tascam PE-40.

4 channels of parametric EQ which you don't have to use if you don't want. But each channel does have 2 HP filters; [email protected] 60Hz and [email protected] 160Hz.

Also has a LPF @ 15k.

Definite old school sound...transformers. Yummy.

I have one myself and use it now and then. Extremely heavy unit built like a tank.
Old 19th November 2011
I just bought my second Aphex 612 stereo gate. I paid $75 for it. It has 12 db/octave sweepable high and low pass filters, those are accessable using the key listen switch.
Old 19th November 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by recorder2 View Post
yeah im sort of wanting a continuously variable [not preset frequencies] filter of like 12 dB per octave. maybe 18. In terms of just having continuously variable control over the HPF, it looks like there's a bunch of EQs, all of which are way over-featured for what i kind of need right now.

also trying to find one without that crazy baxendall curve thing. or is the baxendall the good one and the non-baxendall the bad one.

anyway the thing where you cut at like 55 Hz and between like 55 and 62 Hz there's a huge bass peak though below 55 it tapers off dramatically. The idea is for that to not happen, for it to be smooth.
[color/bold added]

When you buy a piece of rack gear you pay a fair amount for the box and the power supply (which is why card racks are popular).

Since you're already likely paying a good chunk for the minimum hardware, a lot of folks figure that it may make more sense to get a good quality, well-featured EQ that will provide flexibility and usage in future, perhaps unforeseen circumstances.
Old 19th November 2011
Lives for gear

Pssst

I use crossovers for sweepable highpass filters. Cheap and high fidelity too.
Old 19th November 2011
Lives for gear

Lots of vintage items fit this bill. Pultec HLF, Urei 550 (passive) or 565 (active), RCA, Altec, etc...Just be sure to terminate the passive ones with 600 ohms to avoid "ringing". This is a boost at the cutoff frequency which some folks actually like for kick drum, bass, etc.
Old 19th November 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond View Post
Not enough demand. The HP filter on the 500 series Harrison 32 EQ still amazes me, but obviously not what you are looking for.
Only catch with the Harrison is that the LPF and HPF are engaged together. I noticed a change in the high end when engaging the switch. Not cool for a vocal, IMO.
Old 21st November 2011
Gear Head

API 215L, though there is a LPF as well and it is engaged whenever the HPF is in. You can fit 12 of them in one 19" rack which is cool.
Old 21st November 2011
Lives for gear
This is #1 on my "doesn't exist but should" list.

There are sweepable highpass filters as a secondary feature on lots of gear. As people have mentioned, you can use a gate or crossover.

What I would like is a 1U rack with 8 inputs and 8 outputs with either a sweepable or selectable highpass filter on each channel. It should cost no more than $600 (Behringer could probably make this for $150). I am NOT going to pay $500 for a single channel of HPF.

I'm at the point where I'm ready to make this (building highpass filters) my first DIY project. I would probably start with passive, fixed-frequency inline filters, built at different frequencies that can be inserted as needed.
Old 21st November 2011
Lives for gear

i know its not as simple as a HPF/LPF 500 unit, but have you seen the new moog 500 filter? it is pretty complex plus their filters are amazing.
Old 24th July 2013
Gear Addict

Reviving this one to see if there's anything new on the market to fit the bill. Seems Square State Solid State hasn't released the aformentioned unit. Rackmount would be great. And more than one channel. Thx.
Old 24th July 2013
Gear Maniac

I'd also be really interested in this, or help with schematics to DIY one. 19" rackmount with maybe 4 channels of sweepable or even stepped 12dB/oct HPF. I wouldn't complain if it had LPF as well but that's not necessary if it bumps the price up too much. The crossover advice isn't bad, though.
Old 24th July 2013
Lives for gear

The problem is that any standard size 19" space is a whole helluva lotta real estate to devote to a single HP filter.

...Might be a market for several channels of it, though (if any manufacturers are reading this).

Imagine 16 or 24 channels of LPF's and HPF's in a single 19" space.
Old 25th July 2013
Lives for gear

There's an 8 channel DIY HP/LP filter set based on the Harrison.
Old 25th July 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjrippe View Post
Lots of vintage items fit this bill.
+1
Look into "vintage" laboratory test/instrumentation gear. I worked at a recording studio that had an entire 43-space rack filled with fixed- and variable-filters from General Radio, Hewlett-Packard, and Krohn Hite...all picked up for a song at some electronics swap meet for audiologists.
Old 25th July 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Real MC View Post
I use crossovers for sweepable highpass filters.

^^^This.

Or, look for a second-hand Alembic SF-2 ("Super Bass Filter"), preferably being dumped by some idiot who can't figure out how to use it. That's how I got mine for $99.
Old 25th July 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by emrr View Post
Yup and the project cost about $250 all and as emrr stated 8 channel - called Harrison ford filters! Great name.
Old 26th July 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by emrr View Post
Any idea where to find info on these?
Old 28th September 2013
Gear Nut

I'd also like to see schematics for DIY filter sets, the Harrison or any other.

one problem with the laboratory test gear like the H.P. or Krohn-Hite stuff is that most of those units are LARGE, and not rackmountable. many of 'em have odd connectors like BNC jacks, too.

it doesn't seem like it'd be that hard to do a two- or four-channel HPF/LPF set in a 1U 19" rack. stepped controls, each with a dozen or so points between 20-500 on the bottom and 5K-20K on top. switchable -6/-12/-18 db/octave.
Old 28th September 2013
Gear Nut

I'd also like to see schematics for DIY filter sets, the Harrison or any other.

one problem with the laboratory test gear like the H.P. or Krohn-Hite stuff is that most of those units are LARGE, and not rackmountable. many of 'em have odd connectors like BNC jacks, too.

it doesn't seem like it'd be that hard to do a two- or four-channel HPF/LPF set in a 1U 19" rack. stepped controls, each with a dozen or so points between 20-500 on the bottom and 5K-20K on top. switchable -6/-12/-18 db/octave.
Old 3rd October 2013
Lives for gear

I'd be very interested in any solutions to this as well. I am finding more and more that filters are a very useful tool for capturing good sounds.
Old 3rd October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by recorder2 View Post
Does anyone make just a plain old high pass filter rackmount? No other EQ stuff to deal with [and pay for]? To just put between a mic pre lacking the feature and compressor? There's like a 200 series API thing I saw advertised once but I'm more into just a plain 19" rackmount. Maybe like some options, 20 Hz, 30, 40, 60, 80, 100, 120. Or sweepable. Something like that?
Keep in mind the the HPF on a mic pre is staged BEFORE the amplifier in the unit.

The Pultec HLF-C might be what you are looking for. I think with a passive HPF, such as this, you can actually plug the mic straight into it then run it through the mic pre.
Old 3rd October 2013
FYI... I found out that the Harrison Ford filters DIY cost is close to 100 bucks a channel in the 8 space case. It hooks up with DB25's.
Here's a link to Dan's case for it:
Collective Cases

and support thread for building them here
http://www.groupdiy.com/index.php?topic=46390.0

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search