The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Startup Studio Studio Monitors
Old 1st September 2011
Here for the gear

Startup Studio

My good friend is a producer and already has some gear listed below. He recently gained access to a treated studio to use. It's got a 20' x 15' control room and a large live room with a vocal booth.

He has some money to put into some better gear and invite some artists and engineers to work with at the studio. I help him with a lot of the production engineering and put together a list of equipment. Would love to hear how some of you would spend the money differently. We'll get more flavors of mics and outboard as we go along, but I want the starting equipment to be "versatile" as far as genre.

This studio won't be so much a for hire studio but more of a production studio where he'll invite other artists/producers/engineers to collaborate with him.

Already Have:
Roland Fantom G8
MPC 2000XL
12 Core Mac Pro
30" Screen
M-Audio ProFire 2626
Misc VSTs
Desk

This is what I'm thinking.

Pro Tools 9 HD License Ebay $600
Apogee Rosetta 800 AD/DA(lightpipe into ProFire) Ebay $1,750
PreSonus Central Station + Remote $600
Waves Diamond Bundle $1,800
Auto Tune Vocal Studio $600
Native Instruments Komplete 8 $500
IK Multimedia Total Studio $550
Rupert Neve Portico 5043 2 Channel Compressor $1,300
Rupert Neve Portico 5012 2 Channel Preamp $1,300
Blue Blueberry and Shockmount $1,000
Adams A7 Studio Monitors $1,000
PowerCenter 3500 $300
Cabling & Patchbay $1,000

Future Expansions
Drum Mics & Pres for the drum set in the live room
HD PCIe Core Accell card for the HEAT and other TDM only plugs

Any input would be great thanks
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear

All of that looks good, but I would stay far away from the Adams. I recently did a side by side comparison of Adams, dynaudio, genelecs, Neumann kh 120. The gens and kh120s sounded the most detailed and neutral. The Adams sounded like the lows and highs were boosted with little mid detail and harsh highs. I'm shocked they seem so popular on this site. Oh well, to each their own.
Old 10th September 2011
Here for the gear

Thanks for the response.

I honestly was going after the adams because of all the praise they've recieved on this forum. I tried to place a bid on a pair of Tannoy Ellipse 8s, but unfortunately lost.

What are some recommendations for monitors with preferably a 7 or 8" driver for the 1,200 - 1,600 range. I at least want a few choices to check out.

Thanks
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

Mmm......Portico 5043

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search