The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Can this be the cause for my low quality audio?
Old 1st September 2011
Gear Head

Can this be the cause for my low quality audio?

Hey everyone! I have a question that has either an extremely obvious answer or something deeper, but I have a st 77 microphone, a eureka preamp and that is connected to a cheap lexicon alpha usb interface. I've noticed the recordings sound almost like i recorded them from behind something and also a very quiet *white noise* sound can be heard. Like it doesnt sound as nice as it should, considering my good equipment. Now i'm sorta new with home recording and went for a cheap usb interface not thinking that it'd effect the actual quality. was i wrong for thinking that and could the lexicon be the cause for the lower quality in my recordings? if so, is there a usb interface perferably under 200 bucks that you'd recomend? thanks.
Old 1st September 2011
This gear should get good results, unless defective - in which case get it repaired under warranty.

The Lexicon should be fine. The Alpha has onboard Mic preamps, so make sure you aren't connecting your Eureka mic preamp into the Alpha mic preamp - that would be noisy. Especially if you also had phantom power turned on for the Alpha - that might be doing weird ****.

Try your mic directly into the Alpha and see how it goes. If that's fine, try using the Eureka output connected to the Alpha Line inputs and see how it compares.

Whats more likely is that the mic is picking up room noise. Most rooms are very noisy, unless you've spend a lot of money on soundproofing. Not sound treatment - sound proofing. Believe me - your bank acount would know if you've done this or not.

Bury your mic in a pillow - does the white noise go away? If yes, it's room noise.

The mic, preamp and converters will have a little white noise - ALL active components do. This is why you have to manage your gain structure to minimise noise and maximise tone.

Learn to use what you've got ... more gear will add to the problem.
Old 1st September 2011
Gear Nut

Had this problem before.. Crank the gain up and make sure all ur levels in ur comp arnt boosted.. Like mic boost Dolby digital surround n crap that ain't necessary and try lowering your output volume but increase you mic volume.. But not to the point it clips.. Also a lil noise removal never hurts.
Old 1st September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
This gear should get good results, unless defective - in which case get it repaired under warranty.

The Lexicon should be fine. The Alpha has onboard Mic preamps, so make sure you aren't connecting your Eureka mic preamp into the Alpha mic preamp - that would be noisy. Especially if you also had phantom power turned on for the Alpha - that might be doing weird ****.

Try your mic directly into the Alpha and see how it goes. If that's fine, try using the Eureka output connected to the Alpha Line inputs and see how it compares.

Whats more likely is that the mic is picking up room noise. Most rooms are very noisy, unless you've spend a lot of money on soundproofing. Not sound treatment - sound proofing. Believe me - your bank acount would know if you've done this or not.

Bury your mic in a pillow - does the white noise go away? If yes, it's room noise.

The mic, preamp and converters will have a little white noise - ALL active components do. This is why you have to manage your gain structure to minimise noise and maximise tone.

Learn to use what you've got ... more gear will add to the problem.

Damn fine post ....
john
Old 1st September 2011
Also - how good is your monitoring chain? A lot of cheap active monitors have hissy amps. You get what you pay for.

At a guess, the headphone amp in the Alpha probably is cheap and hissy. Doesn't matter so much for tracking. It's the quality of the A/D that matters, and I expect the Lexicon should be adequate.

How do your recordings sound when exported as a wave file and played on your best listening device?

Obviously, there is a reason why people spend multiple thousands of dollars on mics, preamps and converters. High end gear is better, quiter and sweeter sounding. But the differences are pretty subtle, and you seem to be describing a major problem.
Old 1st September 2011
Here for the gear

Quick fix to remove noise

I do have two quick-fixes that might work for you:
1. You can use Audacity - to clean any audio files you have already recorded.
2. You can use SoliCall Pro - to clean in real-time while you are recording.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search