The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Gibson SG standard, a versatile guitar?
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear

SG's are great. They have their limitations, like any guitar. For how you described your needs, I'd consider something with p-90s. Les Paul Jr?

Sent from my ADR6300 using Gearslutz.com App
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear

Tele Custom clone
Old 1st September 2011
Gear Maniac

I know you said you were shying away from a Jazzmaster due to trendiness, but I think a stock Jazzmaster is one helluva versatile axe. I wish I had bought one of them in the early '90s when they weren't so expensive.

The guitarist in my power pop group replaced his SG with a Fat Strat, which has a humbucker in the bridge position. He feels it gives him some diversity in tone, a bit more meat for rhythm stuff that he felt was lacking in a standard strat.

Another friend of mine plays hollowbodies (I don't know the specific models, but I know a Rick and Gretsch are in his collection) almost exclusively, and he gets a good variety of tones from them.
Old 1st September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baroque View Post
Any model suggestions? I played a vintage 52 the other day, as well as a Jim Adkins sig. Both sounded great, but I hated the neck, and general feel of both.
I want something with at least one humbucker, and American built.
I have a Jim Adkins arteest model. It's Ash body, mahogany neck with Gibson bridge and P-90's. Classic Gibson Red, it's got a figured ash body and plays/sounds wonderful as I wanted that P-90's Gibson sound and that fast tele neck. Made in Korea, it's one of the most precise guitars I've ever seen, everything lines up perfectly. In contrast, the American made Fenders are all crooked with the strings off center and other errors. Me thinks they were made by a crosseyed seamstress that can't mend-straight. How hard is it to program a CNC machine anyway? Maybe if they did the programming in spanish? They don't seem to have that problem in Ensenada, BC.
Old 1st September 2011
I found a Gibson ES 333, used. I think this might be the answer. I will someday swap the pickups out, but it's basically a player's 335. No gold plates, pick guard, and matte finish (which I prefer.)
I'm gonna see how this guy works out for me, but I am still really interested in a tele. I got so much use out of that california series tele, and I know it would work for everything I record.
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear

A 335 is much more versatile than an SG, IMHO. An SG has its merits, but versatility isn't one of them.
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear

If you're considering a Tele, look up Jim Chapin. He has a special way with Teles. Every one is magic. I'm not big on humbuckers in Teles though. Listen to Jim Cappilongo play jazz on a straight Tele. Or even some of the Nashville cats when on the neck pickup.

But if you're dead set on having a humbucker Chapin makes things using a 5 way switch that gives you a coil tap without needing to flick extra switches. e.g. with a neck humbucker the 1st position is normal humbucker while the 2nd gives you the more Tele like single coil. Then both pups together in the middle like normal.

Something about Teles. They are a bit more work than some easier to play guitars, but you can really wring a lot of different sounds from them.

I actually like the Highway 1 models. One thing is to avoid the brass bridge plate and get a traditional steel one if you have a single coil bridge. I learned this from Jerry Donahue. A great deal of the majesty and balls a Tele bridge gets is due to the magnetic effect of the steel around the pickup. If you look into a Donahue Strat, there's a piece of steel inset into the pickguard around the bridge pickup to simulate the Tele effect. If you end up with an American Standard you can get a replacement plate from Callaham made of steel. I have one and it kills the icepick effect and restores that great Tele sound.
Old 1st September 2011
Here for the gear

I really didnt like past recordings with SGs. I would strongly recommend looking on the used market for a luthier like Melancon, John Suhr or Grosh. They make their guitars with extreme detail unlike the majority of gibsons. You can find great gibsons but you may have to play a ton to find it.
Old 1st September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by razorboy View Post
A 335 is much more versatile than an SG, IMHO. An SG has its merits, but versatility isn't one of them.
Yeah, I gotta trust what I read, and the fact is, nobody claims it's a versatile guitar. I think a 333 is gonna give me an all rounded sound for rock/folk/jazz/and even heavier stuff.
Old 1st September 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeolian View Post
If you're considering a Tele, look up Jim Chapin.

Jim Chapin makes some great guitars too.
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear

Jimmy Stafford from Train plays a G&L ASAT semi hollow...at least he did when I saw them live at the Sunshine in Albuquerque and he played it a lot. I was amazed at how versatile it was and how he could go from a sort of country sound to rock with no problem. I wanted one right away but they were expensive then.

Anyway, a Tele semi hollow might suit you is what I'm getting at.
Old 1st September 2011
Gear Head

I own and play a 79' Gibson SG that I bought new back in the day. It has seen many gigs and used for recording. Swapped out the pickups in the 90's to a Seymour Duncan JB Humbucker in the bridge and a Seymour Duncan Alnico II at the neck. Will keep the guitar until the end. Saying this, it is not as versatile as other guitars in my collection and is used primarily for heavier type of music. For softer / indie type music I will switch to a Tele or Strat or PRS Custom 24. I must have one of the good ones since I have kept it all this time.
Guitars are like microphones, you can't have too many and they all don't sound the same.
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear

As a long time 335 player I'm not enamored of the small bodied versions. Especially the Gibsons. They sound tight and congested to me. Like cupping your hands around your mouth.

I did have a mahogany topped Ibanez small thinline for awhile that wasn't half bad and played great. But it had neck stability issues and had to go.

I would look into a Guild Bluesbird or the Yamahas if you can't find a Heritage in your price range. The Guild might be too expensive as well. A good Gibson will be at least $2500 so with your stated budget that's a non starter. Same with Grosh, Tyler, custom Suhrs and the like. That's why I suggested the Holland guitars awhile back. Nash are also well done and may fit your budget but sometimes the antiquing treatment messes things up. I've seen some where you couldn't adjust the bridge or the nut was bad. About every 4th Nash I've played had a dead string. Nothing that a good tech couldn't fix but a hassle none the less.
Old 1st September 2011
SG's if you leave them stock have 3 great sounds, 1. the bridge pickup, 2, the neck, 3 both. Telecasters have 2 great sounds, 1. the bridge 2. Both pickups, the neck is nothing special. Strats have 4 great sounds 1. the neck, 2 the middle pickup, 3. combo of neck and middle , 4 combo of middle and bridge.
Bear in mind I'm talking stock, there are more sounds available to a strat with a blender pot, like neck and bridge combo and all three pickups, both of which are pretty cool. As far as versatile for me no one guitar does it all. Ideally I think you want a strat, a tele , a P90 guitar and a guitar with humbuckers. That covers most of the bases, then add a Gretsch and a Rick and you've got them covered. Humbucker style guitars you can get coil taps for and that will help cover a few more bases.
Old 4th September 2011
Here for the gear

SG a versitle guitar?

IMHO an electric guitarist needs a minimum of 2 guitars: a fender, a gibson...

SG's are famous for warped necks so check the setup...old are better than new but we cant all afford the old..

for Gibson sounds there is the main choice between Humbuckers and Soapbars... ideally you would have one of each.... the overtones on the P90/p100's are awesome.... the crunch of humbuckers is unique...

as far as Fenders go: ideally you would have a strat and a tele.... strats with 5 way switching has unbelievable overtones while the tele is probably about the most strait foward guitar ever made.... i cant find a bad sound on it

to me its more a question of pickup types instead of body styles.... single coils and humbuckers...

but ya get what you can buy... and that should be what you like the most...and then go from there

hope this helps...

oh and dont mod the guitar... just buy another...
Old 17th August 2014
Here for the gear

hi, I'm new on this forum and have just read your comment that interested me. I don't have experince with many guitars and was wonderting what is the main difference betweeen high and low output humbuckers. Does high output means they are louder or rather it means they distort quicker in lower volume?
Old 17th August 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by hazarai View Post
hi, I'm new on this forum and have just read your comment that interested me. I don't have experince with many guitars and was wonderting what is the main difference betweeen high and low output humbuckers. Does high output means they are louder or rather it means they distort quicker in lower volume?
Hi output humbuckers distort quicker they usually sound thicker in the mids and bottom, and yes they are a bit louder. With hi gain amps they aren't as necessary but with everything it's about taste, personally I'm not a huge fan, but you can also get hi output pickups with a coil tap which can offer a bit more flexibility.
Old 22nd August 2014
One of my first "real guitars" was a "71" SG standard. Necks are a breeze to play. A little unbalanced with strap as has been mentioned. Not as versatile a guitar as I would need if it was my only one. I got it because Clapton being my hero was playing an early 60's Les Paul SG in many of the pics I had seen. For crunch, I would say it is best with amp cranked and back down on guitar volume - like Angus. Very clean and transparent. For clean sounds she is nice but midrangee. I would go with some of the other votes for a Telecaster. Way more versatile. Nothing sounds like a Tele but a Tele can sound like a Gibson IMHO.
Old 22nd August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Station View Post
Tell me about it. As a '59 Jazzmaster player of over 20 years, i almost feel embarrassed to play it nowadays, such is the stigma..which is annoying because they really are great guitars.
Me too, since 1976, but it's not so bad I can't stand it. I'd rather be associated with Jazzmaster fans than Harley fans.
Old 22nd August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireMoon View Post
SG + Standard Guitar....and the best SGs come with P90s .....
Greg Sage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eWMPH-Hgk7Q
Old 22nd August 2014
Lives for gear

SG is the sound of rock.... live at leeds , back in black, get yer ya yas out, paranoid, disraeli gears, LA Woman
Old 23rd August 2014
Lives for gear

I'm shocked at all the love for the 335. Very cool guitar don't get me wrong but I don't see it as versatile as a strat style guitar with a humbucker in the bridge position with a coil tap.

My first real guitar was an American standard stratocaster with an aftermarket humbucker in the bridge. I couldn't afford a traditional humbucker style guitar (les paul) for some time and the strat was a workhorse.

I definitely missed the true single coil bridge pup but I was able to get some decent humbucker sounds but Everything was a compromise in that situation.

When I got a Les Paul I put a single coil back in the strat immediately.

Point being is it's going to be a compromise to try and do everything on one axe. Jack of all trades but master of none.

There's certainly a difference between a fixed bridge and a tremelo style bridge too.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search