The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
who uses the HP filter on mics?
Old 1st September 2011
Gear Addict

who uses the HP filter on mics?

What is the general opinion on HP the mic, aside from recording bass and kick I usually leave it off and do it ITB.
Old 1st September 2011
I will use it 100% of the time for sources that are due for it. Pretty much everything but bass and kick drum.
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear

I feel most of them are intended for adjusting proximity at realy close range, so I don't use at all for instuments etc. as the natural proximity effect works on cardioids without any filters -that is the lows drop if you dont record everything from few inches.
The turning points of the fillters are way too up for my tastes.
At preamp I might cut at 50 Hz or so and that passively before the gain stages
now that I have preamps that can do it

Matti
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matti View Post
I feel most of them are intended for adjusting proximity at realy close range, so I don't use at all for instuments etc. as the natural proximity effect works on cardioids without any filters -that is the lows drop if you dont record everything from few inches.
The turning points of the fillters are way too up for my tastes.
At preamp I might cut at 50 Hz or so and that passively before the gain stages
now that I have preamps that can do it

Matti
100%
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear

Heh!
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear

I'm pretty sure I don't need below 50 on most things, but I'm not so keen on dumpling higher by default.
Old 1st September 2011
Gear Head

I use them a lot. I try to capture things as close to what I want in the mix as possible. Don't need so much low frequency material on most things.
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear

i use my preamp one....
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fastlanestoner View Post
I will use it 100% of the time for sources that are due for it. Pretty much everything but bass and kick drum.
I completely agree. In fact, I'd probly end up putting a hpf on the channel anyway.
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear

I always roll off on my akg 414's. I roll off everything except for bass and kick usually, but I couldn't with my mics for kick and bass anyway cause i always mic them with dynamics.
Old 1st September 2011
I use em all the time. It affects the way the signal hits the preamp, and subsequently, any compression or other processing. It's particularly important when going to tape. It's really a pretty basic part of gain-staging, and tone-shaping, IMO.
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear

As I stated, I don't -as for preamps, their hpf ' s should be before the gain stages not to overload them with subharmonics or lows.
-The optimal place in a mic to have the hpf is between the capsule and the mics amp, and most mics don't offer that

Matti

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search