The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Opinions on best bass response nearfield Monitors for a tiny room? Adam S2X? Studio Monitors
Old 31st August 2011
Here for the gear

Opinions on best bass response nearfield Monitors for a tiny room? Adam S2X?

Hi guys,
any advice on best bass response nearfield monitors for a tiny room?
would be much appeciated.

I'm always stuck with a tiny room as my studio and I make very bass heavy music, which yes I know is the worst combination.
In the past with these tiny box rooms I have basically given up trying to sort out the low frequencies acoustically, so have just relied heavily on spectrum analysers.

I recently moved and again am stuck with another tiny room, I haven't set up my monitors yet but I've just invested in a £2500 ($4000) headphone set up to try and get around the problem, yes the headphones sound amazing but then went to a friends studio and held down a 44hz sine wave and realised dosen't matter how much you spend on headphones you can't recreate that sound (feeling) of the low bass octave that you have in a real environment.
Currently I have a pair HR824 MKIs, I know overall they're not the best speakers but when I bought them (quite a while back) I found with the "Half space" switch on they had the best bass response for a small room I could find, even better than the more expensive monitors of the time.

Anyways I have been looking around again for monitors, taking in to account my small room any advice on what models to go for would be appreciated?

A couple that look promising are the Adam S2X (35Hz -50kHz) and the PMC AML2 (33Hz-25 kHz) but those PMCs are crazy expensive.
Old 31st August 2011
Lives for gear
Opinions on best bass response nearfield Monitors for a tiny room? Adam S2X?

What is this bass heavy music going to be used for? Where is it going to be played? If it's going to be publicly released where it gets played on iPods and cars, or goes into clubs, then you don't want to have amazing bass at mixdown. Leave that to the folks with over hyped subs and smiley eqs in their cars and club installs.

You're going to get a lot of "treat your room" responses. Which does not mean foam or egg cartons on the walls. If it's really small you may not have room for large bass traps. Possibly membrane absorbers or other ways of killing LF modes. Then you get a cabin effect and a sealed box should be able to be dialed in to a reasonably smooth rolloff.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search