The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
old or new SM 57? Dynamic Microphones
Old 31st August 2011
Lives for gear

old or new SM 57?

Ok so I want to add an SM 57 to the locker. It would be mostly for spoken word. Not as a main mic, but just to have for certain things and maybe an occasional
low-end audiobook, message-on-hold or just when I might occasionally want that "57"
vibe.

So, for spoken word, does the "old vs. new" apply? (in this case I mean Unidyne III vs. current production) I'm inclined to just get a new one, but there's so much buzz about how much better the older ones are...

I know there's a few who swear there's a difference. Any of you tried both and NOT heard a difference?
Old 31st August 2011
Lives for gear

You mean old like Unidyne III old?

I have one....sounds great.

Got it for a lot cheaper that sm57...

But magnets due loose some of their magnetism with age...just something to keep in mind
Old 31st August 2011
Depends on what particular disease you want to catch, or your prefered taste in beer ...
Old 31st August 2011
Lives for gear
old or new SM 57?

It may be a bit different for recording, but I remember live performing with Unidynes and Unispheres. They were easily overloaded by a loud singer resulting in a sibilant compressed sound reminiscent of the White Album. Of course these days people are wetting their pants trying to reproduce that sound. YMMV
Old 31st August 2011
Gear Addict

I have 6 unidynes and 3 newer ones.

The unidynes all sound different. I have them numbered in order of generalized preference. That said, they are not a first choice for anything for me, except snare. Great cheap utility mics.

In general, the unidynes all sound better as well. More open top end, less ridiculous low/mid hump.

Its a night and day difference.

There are times that the new one is better for the application but thats rare IMHO.

For spoken word, a unidyne would be better- again because of the top end in general.
Old 31st August 2011
I have owned about 6 unidyne and can echo that they all sound different. Compared with the new 57's the old Unidyne III57's can be: clearer, more presence, fatter, or warmer. Don't get me wrong the new ones are good also but they can have a slightly congested feel and less output compared with the good old ones.

That being said if you do get a old one make sure to purchase a brand new vocal screen for obvious reasons!!

If you don't have a sm7b you should purchase one instead.
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear

Well I said **** it and just bought a new one.

Unidyne or not, this sounds stupid good for the $$$, at least on spoken word, at least when running it through my pres, which are pretty high end (LA 610 and John Hardy M-1) I remember hearing an SM 57 through a Mackie Spike and it not sounding nearly as good.

Also to my ear it sounds better for spoken word than my SM 58 (which I'm selling on ebay)
Old 1st September 2011
Lives for gear

Yeah most dynamics sound way better with a decent pre than with an average pre.
Old 2nd September 2011
Lives for gear
old or new SM 57?

Well, it was deigned for spoken word. Specifically for speech giving from lecterns. The whole mid bump people complain about was designed for spoken word intelligibility.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search